Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a TYCO Racin Bandits chassis I'm trying to reassemble and I'm not having much luck. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get all four magnets to stay in place while getting them, the motor and housing snapped into the chassis. Anyone know of assembly instructions for these types of chassis? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
These are pretty easy to reassemble. You want the traction mags installed first, then the motor with magnets, bulkheads, motor brush barrels and pickup springs all assembled will drop into the chassis. Best to come in from the top of the chassis.

Something I just thought of: Cut a short length of small plastic tubing that'll fit right over the pinion shaft, and cut it so that if you have it between the pinion gear and bulkhead its holding everything together snugly. Usually you have to hold the whole assembly together by hand while trying to snap it in so the magnets and everything dont get all out of whack and keep it from coming together. This way, all you'll have to worry about is keeping the pickup springs on the barrels during assembly. Once its all in, just remove the pinion and set your 'sleeve' aside for the next assembly.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks grungerock, keeping the traction magnets in place is a little tricky but worked like a charm.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I use a tire in between the magnets after putting them in, holds them like a champ and then the tire gets pushed out by the motor assembly after having done it's job.
HTH
Keith

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All good advice, thanks. Would have never thought of that thumb thing on my own.:thumbsup:

Have another tyco question. I've got a 440 x2 where the brush tubes melted into the bulkhead. Worth fixing? Parts available? Thanks Brian

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's Toast, Tyco chassis are cheap, parts are not.
Use That melted chassis for parts and chuck the rest.
Later,
Keith

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Two words... rubber bands. Two small ones or one doubled up as needed, that's it...put 'em like this:

You can keep complete motor assemblies ready to swap on the fly this way... shoe springs, mags, and all.

Also there is enough flex in a Tyco chassis, even the black pans, to get the traction mags in and out without disassembling anything else, we do it all the time. Don't worry about putting them in 'til after the motor is in. Then just hold the motor assembly in one hand pull the chassis away with the other and put the mag in. :thumbsup:

(edit)...oh yeah...you put the motor in with the rubber bands still on, then cut 'em when done.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Have another tyco question. I've got a 440 x2 where the brush tubes melted into the bulkhead. Worth fixing? Parts available? Thanks Brian
Parts are available you'll need at the very least a bulkhead but probably will also need brush tubes, brushes, brush springs, and an arm. Probably $7-$10 retail in new parts.

If you trash it, keep the good parts especially the axle/wheel setups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts