Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share a recent build of R2-D2, my favorite Star Wars character. It's from an old MPC kit that I bought on the Bay. I expected it to be just a quick side project, but it took me awhile longer than I thought.
The base is meant to portray a portion of the Skywalker garage floor. It’s an old cutting board that I rounded and grooved with a table saw.
The Princess Leia “hologram” is a screen cap of Leia printed on transparency plastic and sandwiched between two pieces of shaped plexi. The plexi was lit from the bottom by blue LEDs. (You can see the princess image a little better in person than in the photos.)
Hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Really nice!

Is that R2 built pretty much out of the box?
I used to have that kit almost thirty years ago.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Beautiful job on R2 :thumbsup:

The hologram effect is really cool too!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Awesome work on that! I especially like the Holographic Leia effect. VERY nicely done. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It was a fun project.

KUROK said:
Really nice!

Is that R2 built pretty much out of the box?
I used to have that kit almost thirty years ago.
It's pretty much the model out of the box with a few changes. I had to rotate the upper part of his dome so that a space between the panels lines up with his eye. I added the restraining bolt and cut out small pieces of styrene and glued them over the blue tool arms to give them a more detail. I sanded down the disk between his dome and his body to make it flush with the rest of him. Of course, I also had to cut and drill the openings for the lights in the dome.

I also had one of these when I was a kid! It was a nice trip down memory lane to build one again.

R

·
0 Posts
That is such a cool piece o' work :thumbsup:

The build is excellent and as to the display method, a little stroke of genius there i do belive.
VERY nicely done !

Go easy.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Holy Wah !!! You've certainly brought new life to this old kit, ingenious!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is one cool little droid!! I think the detail is awesome. I really like the idea of adding the "hologram". Great job!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts