Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
This went around once before some months back and has as little bearing on the reality of the situation as is possible. It may even be a re-hash of the original campaign and even SCD are unaware of it doing the rounds again.

It also caused no end of trouble for somebody who has had done a lot for the hobby in recent years.

The situation with Tomy and the various markets is complicated, and one not best understood by a UK vendor looking at things from one narrow perspective. I can't go into details but I trust my source and so would you all if I could say who it was.

As a European who does not have an 'angle' in this situation, I can confidently say the best thing you can do if you truly want to support the EU racers is.........nothing.

I wish I could get into specifics but I can't. If nothing else look at the tone of the bit you are expected to paste to Tomy UK (who did not much like it the first time) and think if you really want your name on the bottom of it. We just had a UK national today, GT40s and champcars and other recent Tomy bits wherever one looked, so I would say we are managing just fine and dandy!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
THis is their reply FWIW

"Dear Neal

Thank you for your recent email.

The AFX range was discontinued in 1998 throughout Europe due to falling demand for the product. However as a commitment to our consumers, spare parts have continued to be made available.

Unfortunately due to continuing changes to European environmental and product compliance standards, AFX no longer conforms to the legislation. The product cannot be re engineered to meet these new standards without considerable investment which is not justified by the sales of the product, as a result the AFX range has been discontinued in Europe and this includes the spare parts service..

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused.

Kind regards
Webcare "

:mad:You mean to tell me that they can't even have spare parts because they do not meet some sort of arbitrary bureaucratic 8u!!$#!T regulation ? We are talking about Adults here ! Are they worried that a small child will accidently swallow a p/u shoe ? They can ban almost every minute part on that basis ! As for the environment, Copper & other metals & the Plastic can be recycled.
:mad: This is the essential problem of big government.The ever growing nanny state that spends more time thinking of "doing whats good for you" without asking if you want it than spending time on the essentials of government like law & order.In the process they will take the essential joy out of life.
It is coming here sooner than you think.What a great way to outlaw slots & other things we enjoy-for the "environment & safety"
Wait till they start running Health Care.Like the FEMA & Post Office ( How many shipments of slots lost/MIA/stolen?).
Well, I'm done.Time to do the chore's & winterizing my 1:1 scale car.

Neal:dude:

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
Again, there is stuff I know about but cannot expand on. The problems mentioned in the reply have already reached the US, trust me. Moves are afoot though.

I would say the UK racing scene is doing just fine with the hand we have been dealt, so you need not worry about us. It has never been particularly easy to get cars and the right spares here, and we have learned to adapt.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Again, there is stuff I know about but cannot expand on. The problems mentioned in the reply have already reached the US, trust me. Moves are afoot though.

I would say the UK racing scene is doing just fine with the hand we have been dealt, so you need not worry about us. It has never been particularly easy to get cars and the right spares here, and we have learned to adapt.
Oh it wont be long until you consumer safety scofflaws are addressed by the slotcar police...:tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

:thumbsup: Sound like you are doing in "Ol' Blighty " with HO scale that the people in Cuba are doing with 1:1 Scale Studebaker's & Chevies from the
'50' s !
Can you elaborate how you go about it in detail ?

Neal:dude:

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Why do I get the feeling this thread is going to mention that dusty old buried thread about Lifelike slots not being available in California?? Oh, because I just mentioned it!! :freak: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts