Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this out from another member on another board about Hiway Hobby closing in 2010 wich is very sad to here being that them and another hobby store are the only ones around by me.So if you live near or around them sign the petition wich we need 1,000 so the owners know we want them to keep the doors open:)!Heres the link http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-hi-way-hobby-house

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I hope they stay open, but remember petitions wont pay the bills. If 1000 want them to stay open, they need to sign AND buy 1000 items..Sorry for the pessimistic truth. I do hope they can stay afloat.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Wasn't sure if I was allowed to say anything, but now that the cat is out of the bag - the manager has been told by the owner NOT to restock anything they run out of, with the intention of closing down after Christmas.

The owner (who is the manager's father) wants to retire, lease the store and live off the rent money (which, I assume, would be quite a bundle for a large store in Bergen County). Apparently the hobby shop business isn't very profitable these days, and I'm told that if they didn't own the business and the building outright, they'd have had to close down a couple of years ago. They're kinda running on fumes now.

The manager (remember scifiguy here?) would like to carry on the business himself, but his father is adamant about his plans. I can't blame either of them - I'm getting blissfully close to retirement myself and would hate it if my plans were thwarted, but I also dread a world without HiWay Hobby in it.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't sure if I was allowed to say anything, but now that the cat is out of the bag - the manager has been told by the owner NOT to restock anything they run out of, with the intention of closing down after Christmas.

The owner (who is the manager's father) wants to retire, lease the store and live off the rent money (which, I assume, would be quite a bundle for a large store in Bergen County). Apparently the hobby shop business isn't very profitable these days, and I'm told that if they didn't own the business and the building outright, they'd have had to close down a couple of years ago. They're kinda running on fumes now.

The manager (remember scifiguy here?) would like to carry on the business himself, but his father is adamant about his plans. I can't blame either of them - I'm getting blissfully close to retirement myself and would hate it if my plans were thwarted, but I also dread a world without HiWay Hobby in it.
John thanks for Chiming in and really sad that they want to close the place down as there are very few Hobbystores around now that we can go to and buy either supplies or kits and really hope they reconsider and keep the doors open.:dude:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
I went there today to stock up on supplies (just in case). Scifiguy is if course still trying to save the store (heck, he'll be unemployed if it closes!). One of his alternative ideas is to get his father to get him started in a smaller store closer to home, which would be about 30 minutes north of the current location in NY state. It's all "what if" right now, though.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was there earlier seen a Horizon wolfman and couple other Horizon kits on the shelf and picked up the Spock kit with the snakes and few other kits.:)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
I missed the Horizon kits! They must be cleaning out the stock room and trying to sell everything that's laying around

·
Registered
520 Posts
Distressed to hear about another possible Hobby Shop closure. Without the business diversifing by selling on e-bay, doing R/C, Games, etc I don't see how any of them survive. Even if they do all that considering what rent or mortgage costs on a "Brick-n-Mortar store: How do they make it?
We have three Hobby Shops in our local area. One was just opened by a couple in August. Monthly seminars are conducted on different model building topics,IE, weathering, airbrushing, Bi-Plane rigging, etc. Discounts to IPMS members, Military personel, are offered. Frequently they have sales, buy one get one halfprice, buy two get one free sales. They have some seating so we can gather on Saturday's to hangout. I'm trying to do all my business with him even if it costs a little more.
Good luck on keeping the door open. Nothing quite matchs the thrill of going into a real physical hobby shop, looking at the books, the kits, the paints. Talking trash about model building to some one who understands!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Wow...that is pretty sad news as I have spend loads of $$ there and a lot of my collection came from there....they had such a great selection EVERY time I was there....and they are 2 hrs away from me.

It will be a shame to see them close their doors if it happens!:(

MMM

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
The horizon wolfman is a pretty darn good kit! I'm surprised they still have one.
They still have a SeaQuest Darwin, a Kazon torpedo, and Babylon 5 kits! They just leave stuff on the shelf forever.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Remember me? :)
Just an FYI regarding this whole topic, No one is supposed to know so if you come in HHH, please don't discuss this topic in front of the boss. I don't want him to know until the last possible moment about my campaign to save Hi-Way Hobby House. I started the petition to let my Dad know there are people out there that would be devastated if Hi-Way Hobby went away. I agree that selling a thousand items means more than a thousand names on a petition but in this economy that's not so easy to do. The idea of the petition is to convince my Dad to hang in there until we come out of these dark times and then let me take over (with some help of course). Hi-Way Hobby isn't just a job for me, it has been a huge part of my life for so many years. I have made a ton of friends there and HHH has given me an opportunity to develop a Sci-Fi & Fantasy department that is beyond my wildest dreams. While I am not really a modeler, I love being around this stuff and seeing models built by modelers. :hat: I have seen some really amazing things by you guys! Here is HHH's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Ramsey-NJ/Hi-Way-Hobby-House/323300055276 Join and share some of your works and thoughts!
Don't forget to sign the petition.

While my plan my not change my Dad's mind, I'd rather try something than sit back and watch it happen.

Thanks for your support everyone!
Anthony (scifiguy)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
Anthony, if I hit the Mega Millions this week, I'll bankroll a new store for ya.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I signed the Petition...never know when I might be in the Neighborhood :thumbsup:
Mcdee

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. My local Hobbytown USA is closing at the end of this month, it is definitely hard times. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts