Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm back! (Hi Milton, lol) I like to open my cars to display them individually, it looks better that way imo, but now I've held my Veneno so much that the rims are already loosing their paint. It still has some but it already looks ugly. So, i want to repaint them. Anyone know of a paint that will actually stick for once? all the hot wheels cars recently have lost their rim paint SO quickly, i have a car from when i was like 6 or 7 that still has the rim paint, that I played with a lot, but my Veneno lost it within 2 months. the Veneno never touched an orange track. The other car... not so lucky. So how do i repair it so that the rims aren't as ugly? (also it'd be cool if I could 3d print myself some real Veneno rims and keep them nice, due to their extreme surface area;)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
Depends on which one of the Veneno's you have....

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
Some have painted rims. Some have chromed rims. Some of them have color chrome rims. The answer to each repair is different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not necessarily OEM color, i just want a durable paint that'll stay on the rims. But if it helps, mine are plain chrome.

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
Then the easiest method would be a paint pen in the red color you prefer. They also have chrome colors.

Stop picking up castings by the wheela.

Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling them.

And wear white cotton gloves when you do. Or disposal latex ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then the easiest method would be a paint pen in the red color you prefer. They also have chrome colors.

Stop picking up castings by the wheela.

Wash and dry your hands thoroughly before handling them.

And wear white cotton gloves when you do. Or disposal latex ones.
Really? Is there no paint durable enough to be handled? What if I rough up the rim surface a little?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I don't pick it up by the rim; usually the doors or I just set it on my palm

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
Really? Is there no paint durable enough to be handled? What if I rough up the rim surface a little?
I am sure there is an enamel paint you can use that will last longer. Be judicious in the amount of roughing up you do!

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
Also, I don't pick it up by the rim; usually the doors or I just set it on my palm
If you are not touching the rims what do you think is rubbing the paint off then? Do you race them frequently on a Hot Wheels track or other side walled track?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are not touching the rims what do you think is rubbing the paint off then? Do you race them frequently on a Hot Wheels track or other side walled track?
Like I said, Veneno never touched an orange track, and it has lasted longer than some of the recent ones but not by much. also, it's isolated in my collection; i have a clear box with 4 inside, and then a bunch of others on the desk, but the Veneno gets to sit by itself on top of the clear box

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
Like I said, Veneno never touched an orange track, and it has lasted longer than some of the recent ones but not by much. also, it's isolated in my collection; i have a clear box with 4 inside, and then a bunch of others on the desk, but the Veneno gets to sit by itself on top of the clear box

Do the touch each other (move around) when you put the clear box away and retrieve it later on? If they do - there is your rubbing together then.

Likewise when you get the Veneno off the top of the box is there an inside lip or edge it rolls against?

I use small zip loc bead bags to store cars together in open bins. They do touch each other but the bag acts as a buffer to directly rubbing together. This will also work with a loose car sitting on top of a box or other surface.

Holding them in your palm will still touch a part of the palm as we tend to cup our palms when we hold things in them. That skin is the same as our finger tips as our sweat improves grip. Think of it as always having 'sweaty' palms. Any surface dirt, chemical or contaminents on our skin is wetted or loosened as they sweat and that will adhere to the surfaces we touch or put against them. That is how finger printing works. Thus the recommendation to wash and dry hands thoroughly and wear white cotton/latex gloves when handling diecast and other models.

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
What sandpaper do you recommend? high grit or low grit? or is it paint-by-paint basis?
For a hot wheels wheel set if you are not starting with a grit # over a thousand - you are just destroying the wheel. It should only take 1 or 2 passes to rough up the surface for any paint adherence. I wouldnt even sand to remove old paint or if you are going to rough the surface for any chrome paint. Think of it as any sanding is going to be in 1:1 scale on a 1:64 scale - that means a surface scratch is already 64 times bigger than a real life scale scratch on a Hot Wheels!

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I've used the chrome pen on some of my original Red Lines to touch up spots where the chrome has worn away.
If you have a steady hand, you should be able to cover over what ever color with out to much of an issue.
I located my pen at Hobby Lobby in case you have a store near you or i would guess a good hobby shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For a hot wheels wheel set if you are not starting with a grit # over a thousand - you are just destroying the wheel. It should only take 1 or 2 passes to rough up the surface for any paint adherence. I wouldnt even sand to remove old paint or if you are going to rough the surface for any chrome paint. Think of it as any sanding is going to be in 1:1 scale on a 1:64 scale - that means a surface scratch is already 64 times bigger than a real life scale scratch on a Hot Wheels!
language*, didn't think about it like that, good to know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've used the chrome pen on some of my original Red Lines to touch up spots where the chrome has worn away.
If you have a steady hand, you should be able to cover over what ever color with out to much of an issue.
I located my pen at Hobby Lobby in case you have a store near you or i would guess a good hobby shop.
Hmm ok, i'll ask the guys at HobbyTown.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts