Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Geometric's 1/4 scale Fly bust. Mouth was replaced from scratch, and hair was added using cheap synthetic paint brush bristles for a coarse, bug-like look. Eyes were painted with Alclad prismatic color-shifting paint. Took a while, but worth the effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi Dave,
I am assuming this is the piece that is featured in the new Amazing Figure Modeler.

It is amazing, IMHO.... I have had the magazine for two days now but I will not get a chance to read your article until this weekend. From just what I saw it looks like a great technique that I am eager to read about.

Cheers,
Max Bryant

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, that's the one in the new issue. Still can't believe I went through the pain of doing two of these.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I really enjoyed the article. :cool: So you did two of these? Wow! I don't have the patience to even try one with all those hairs :freak: The results are definitely worth it, it looks fantastic!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Awesome build! Disgusting, but really amazing. I wish I had half the patience you must have needed to do such fine detailing work.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Impressive to say the least, you have way more patience than I do. Have to track down the issue and check out the article.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
how? Buah...

that's all I can think to say.

other than that's the coolest model I've ever seen!

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
Great work Dave, of the kind that points up a weakness in the English language when it comes to the use of superlatives to describe our niche of models. I mean, the adjectives the other posters used - "gross", "great, "disgustingly real", etc. - might have been used by different film critics to indicate positive or negative thoughts about the original movie. Here, they're all being used to express approbation for your model. Weird, huh?

Here's my last word on your bust: :thumbsup:

Mark McG.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mark! And everyone else!

It's not as hard as it looks, just time consuming. The process was speeded up by grouping the bristles in "stalks," dipping the end in superglue and then kicker. They are attached to the head with a mixture of black Liquitex and matte medium. It went down to individual hairs on the face, jaw, around the eyes and neck.

Yeah, I ended up doing two. The first was about 8 years ago for myself. Terry at AFM wanted to trade me a rather expensive action figure for it, but I'd had it signed by David Hedison when he was at Wonderfest, so I didn't want to part with it. When the bust issue came up he wanted something other than a straight paint story, and it also satisfied the trade. Hate to give it up, though. I like it more that my first one!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I read the article last night. That is some serious dedication it took to finish that thing.
At any time did you say to yourself "Why am I doing this?"
I know I would have, but the end product just is an award winner if I ever saw one!

Nice Job Dave!!!

Max Bryant

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Max!

No, never really asked myself why. I always try to do something different from the norm, no matter what it takes to get there. And once you get into the rhythm of doing something like this you sometimes don't want to stop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts