Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
diecast forum regular here, so i'm not too keen on this sort of stuff. knowing that, i figure you guys are the best ones to ask for guidance. a friend is mulling over the purchase of some older ho stuff. i have no clue what all is in the assortment he's looking at, but he thinks these two cars might be the highlight of it all. are these set-only releases?

also, with the availibilty of new cubes and reproduction stickers for them, does having the cube for the older, more common stuff add much value to it? with the cars being loose, i truly don't know if it matters much. you can explore my posts here showing some of my diecast collection, to see my opinion of packaging. whether $1 or $100, i open it all, so the cubes wouldn't mean much to me personally, but they surely would to others.

before anyone alludes to it, i'm not fishing for values in order to help him flip them for a profit. this guy is well known in the aero car/ vintage racing world, and thought that my interest in collecting might have exposed me to these particular cars. i never knew tyco made them before his email, so here i am. this is speculation on my part, but the owner may not realize what she has. the friend asking me about them said he isn't looking to pay top dollar, while at the same time, he isn't wanting to lowball her. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Yes they are both high dollar cars, especially the shape they are in. I am not convinced they were sold individually, I have never seen them in the package.

MOO

Marty
Marysville, OH

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. until he emailed me those photos, i don't believe i had ever seen the cars from tyco before. i had always (wrongly) assumed afx had the market cornered on this early-70s era of richard petty cars.

i've mentioned before to my friend before that he should join here. the stuff he has willingly shared about racing during this era continually boogles my mind. he is deeply involved in 60s/70s racing history, even up to the point of owning a genuine 1:1 scale vintage stock car.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
seconding what Marty said... they are both kinda like "holy grail" cars for Tyco collectors. (which is funny, because Aurora/AFX also did a Chevelle and a Road Runner from this time period, and from a design/accuracy standpoint, they kinda make these look butt-ugly, especially the Chevelle... :tongue: ) but yeah, nice cars to have if they are as good as they look in the pics. years ago i had a chance to buy the Roadrunner body cheap missing the windows. i passed on it, and i'm still kicking myself...

-rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts