Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends.

I am using Mac OS X and I've accidentally overwritten a Word document (using Office 2001 version). I've checked into the 'Versions' feature of Word in the File menu and unfortunately there's nothing to be found... wondering if anyone has any ideas or can recommend a good software application to download which will allow me to recover a copy of the previous file I had available, prior to my overwriting it.

Any thoughts or ideas are gratefully welcome.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I'm not a mac user, but by default, multiple old copies of word documents are not kept. You can add this feature by going to tools, options, save, check "always save a backup copy". This doesn't help you now, nor does saying "save it as another file name".

A software application to recover the file may find bits of it from before you changed it. But probably the file "blocks" that comprised the document were written to when the document was changed. I doubt there's much if anything to recover.

If you "deleted" a file using your mac's file management software (instead of changing it with word) there may be more to recover by some 3rd party software. Data isn't written over until the file space is reused.

Sorry I don't use macs, and don't have experience with file recovery software. A google search turns up this, but it seems to work only for "deleted" files. It has a free trial so maybe it's worth attempting.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
check to see if the office software made a backup copy of the document. It will have a date/time similar to the one you were working on.

Other than that, you're skreued.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts