Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to build a track for our son for Christmas (drag strip). Most of his cars are 1:64 scale. I'm starting to look for buildings, grandstands, etc. and I'm clueless what scale I should be searching for? I was leaning towards HO Scale but those seem so small. I'd appreciate any suggestions on size. Thanks in advance!

·
BANNED
8,210 Posts
if you have an NTB tire store or one of their affiliates nearby, you can get drag strip with four cars and a return lane for around $90.00. most of slot cars in that size are now 1/64 and there are lots of die casts to provide stuff.
check out the die cast forum and ask about accessories for dioramas and stuff.
and WELCOME to Hobby Talk!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The current/modern 1/64th slot cars are closer to "S" scale but regarded as HO.
The original '60's HO slot cars are smaller and scaled to be an accessory for
HO trains. What kind of track & buildings do you have in mind?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're going to try and make the "track" look similar to a couple of the tracks that we currently race at. He's wanting bleachers w/ spectators, a track tower, concession stand, restroom, ticket booth, etc.
If I use HO Scale bleachers and buildings, would that look the most "to scale" w/ the 1:64 cars or should I go larger?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have never been all about true scale. If I see it, I like it, and it fits the needs right I use it. HO slots are not all the same scale any way. Just compare a sedan to the big rig racers, the guy in the sedan will never be able to squeeze int the semi cab.

Just have fun and get what you both like, and enjoy your time together. They grow up so fast.

Rob

·
BANNED
8,210 Posts
you aren't likely to find to much in the way of accessories like you describe in 1/64 scale. so maybe you should just stick to HO (1/87) scale which you can find in train accessories, and various slot accessories. search around the threads .... there is an eBay seller out of Asia selling painted figures cheap and he ships quickly.
check your Craigslist for possible bargains and don't forget all the different other online auction sources. also, ask over on the diecast board for more specific help with the items you seek
and, hopefully, more folks here will have details and maybe links to sites to get you started.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you have a good camera, take photo's of your local track areas and have a photo lab reduce to your size.
You can do a whole building with a little thin cardboard to paste on for placement, bleachers,ect.
If you can get in to take those pictures!!
Good luck
Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise and I am posting in the other section recommended too. We're not looking at being "exact" when it comes to scale, I just didn't want it to look "silly".

The grandstands have been the biggest challenge. I've found them in HO Scale and in 1:32 Scale. So, I know one will be quite a bit smaller. Which would you go with? Since it will be "played" with, I would prefer a larger scale then HO but at the same time, don't want to go "too" big and look way out of scale for the cars.

I can already tell I'm going to be spending some money on Ebay to get this the way I want, and that's fine. It's the only gift the child has requested and he's always "cautious" w/ his cars.

I want to do building, bleachers, people, concessions, garbage cans, etc. I honestly don't mind spending the money, I just want it to look "right"!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Unless your a rivet counter, "scale perfectionist"; your best off following Al's advice and sticking predominantly to HO scale, in order to find the specific items you need.

1/87 - 1/64 = 23 points
1/64 - 1/32 = 32 points

At 1/32, visually were talking an approximate additional 10 point lean to the humongous (ridiculous) side, keeping in mind that not all cars are exactly 1/64 scale.

Trix come into play as well. In the end, a careful blend of related scales is possible if not desirable. Placement of larger items in the foreground and smaller items in the background helps to force the viewers perspective of depth. The idea being to not upset the declination of scale as the line of sight travels away from the viewer.

Researching the art of diorama and architectural modeling would be very helpful, especially "Scenic-ing" in the Model Railroading hobby.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
There's a guy on the diecast side, help me out here guys, StangSOmething?? who makes a ton of accessories for our scale shops.

WHats his name guys???? Stangfever or Stangmaster......

He makes some cool stuff like office furniture, garbage pails fans and a bunch of other coolo stuff. Only this is you have to detail it yourself. They come in a solid white resin color, but too cool!!!!

Go to the diecast section under "Dioramas" and look around. Some awsomely talented dudes around here. And always willing to help.

Let me say this Grandpa HO, I love your idea and may use it!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts