Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one explain what good numbers would be for 4 cell 1600mAh Spec battery

Avg Volts
MA
Peak Voltage
ect

Any help would be appreciated trying to figure out which pack is best for racing which are best for practice

·
Registered
870 Posts
These numbers are on a DPD discharger avg. volts 4.3to 4.5 mah-2300to2400 dsicharge time 275 to 290 these numbers are on pulse and are on the external setting.I put a deans plug on my external leads,these numbers I know are good, these packs finish strong only 2 to 3 tenths fall off in 4 minutes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
WOW! I have 5 new packs and using a DPD my best pack only has 214s discharge time.

I was pretty certain that my packs were lousy since I could always hang in the top the first 2 minutes, but would start to fall off the pace badly after that.

Did you do anything to increase the runtime on these packs?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes when i frist get them I dead short them then charge them on 6.5 with .03 cut back, let them set 3 mins. and discharge them all the way down to .2 cuttoff and let them sit for 2 days and repeat. Keep an eye on your numbers and watch them increase . Also my freind has an ice charger and he has played with one of the charge setting and his batteries are better than mine once he started use it. Also using a torpedeo help. What are your res. numbers like? mine are around 19to26 on dpd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you dead shorting again, after charging and discharging? And are you leting them sit for two days dead shorted? On the DPD are you using the linear or flex mode?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My IR is in the mid 30s.

I have not tried cycling them multiple times in a week, so I could try that.

Could you get some more information from your friend that uses the ICE charger?

I am using that right now and have not had that good of results with these spec packs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I use the pulse mode, there is no reason to dead short after the frist time because at.2 cutoff they what even make one bulb come on.One more thing I put mine in the fridge when i'm done and let them sit until race day, a guy told me to try it and I saw some improvement[I dont know why it works it just does]. Once you train the batteries you dont have to work them during the week, just remember some paks aint goin make anything no matter what.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, most of the time I have been using 6.5A with a 30mV cutback.

I am using the DPD, and my average voltage is aroung 3.90, 200-214s Discharge time, and 1700mah. But that is with a .9 cutoff. I will try tonight with a .2 cutoff.

·
Registered
870 Posts
One more thing,the spec pacs with limber wires are not as good as the ones with stiff wires. It takes me 3to4 weeks to[train] my batterys, my pacs last 15 weeks then loose just a little punch upfront in the run but finish just as strong, having 2 or 3 new ones waiting at week 15 for the mains means I dont give up nothing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
On the time, and avg. voltage. The mah seems to be there if the disch. time is. Res. is what you what to work on keeping low, using a torpedoe will lower your IR a good bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do any of you use a zapper?

I have one I have hard wired a Deans connector to, and it still hasn't helped these batteries of mine. I am thinking that a bad battery just cant be made into a good one, but find it hard to believe I did not get a single decent battery out of the five new ones I bought when I got into this class a few weeks ago.

What ratio of good to bad packs have you seen?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Try something ,

The latest Spec packs that Trinity produced were purchased from a company that is using a Nicad hybrid type of chemistry and they don't respond real well to methods we used years ago on the old SCR cells.

- Only discharge as a pack to about 1.0 volt per cell ,,, use about a 1-2 amps disc rate to this voltage before charging.
-Charge at a 5 amp rate
-discharge at 15-20 amps MAX after your run
-Never bench test at 20 amps for the full cycle " too Hot "
-A very high IR cell that needs to be treated sort of like a NIMH
-If you do insist on bench testing , use a small fan blowing across the area , not dirrectly onto the pack.
- Some are OK , some are quite poor , don't expect SCR performance , they were never built to do that.
- Notice that "SKOR " put in their rules that all 6 cell classes were to use the Duratrax Pirranah 1900's ,,, which are Sanyo SCR cells , someone was thinking. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts