Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used the masking set from aztek. when i pulled the masking off after painting a bunch of residue is left from the mask. what can i use on the glass that wont scratch or mess it up?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i used the masking set from aztek. when i pulled the masking off after painting a bunch of residue is left from the mask. what can i use on the glass that wont scratch or mess it up?
Hmm, I wouldnt think the vinyl should leave residue. How long did you leave the mask on the part? Maybe it reacted with the plastic. Did you try windex?

·
Registered
212 Posts

If it is a sticky substance,:( I had success using cotton swabs and vegetable cooking oil followed by dish soap and water to restore the shine.:) Hope this helps.:wave:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
WD 40 will remove it without harming MOST paints. Did you apply the masks to bare plastic or plastic dipped in future (not a good idea)?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i applied the vinyl to bare plastic. i left the masking on for a few days. one day too many huh?
i will try something tonight and see if it works.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
John,
there's a product I use to remove adhesive residue called "Goof-off" I use it also to clean blister pack plastic. I HAVEN'T TRIED IT ON STYRENE, but you may want to see if it will do what you need.

Try it on a scrap of the clear styrene before you do anything to see if it fogs the plastic up. If it doesn't, i'd put a tiny amount on a q-tip and go over the residue in a circular pattern.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
This is kinda timely for me, and not wishing to hijack this thread, but would either lighter fluid or windex work on tape residue sticking to a painted surface? I have some on the orange-painted front of my Moebius Space Pod.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aw crap! now i have acylic paint on the"glass"! how can i remove that without scratching the clear plastic?

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Cotton swab with nail polish remover works when the paint is still fresh, but I haven't tried that after it has cured completely.
Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is kinda timely for me, and not wishing to hijack this thread, but would either lighter fluid or windex work on tape residue sticking to a painted surface? I have some on the orange-painted front of my Moebius Space Pod.
The lighter fluid will not affect the paint...(windex would ruin water base paints.) Toy collectors use lighter fluid to remove lables/stickers because it won't ruin the printing/box/packaging, etc. It won't leave a smell afterwards, either.

·
Registered
268 Posts
John,
there's a product I use to remove adhesive residue called "Goof-off" I use it also to clean blister pack plastic. I HAVEN'T TRIED IT ON STYRENE, but you may want to see if it will do what you need.

Try it on a scrap of the clear styrene before you do anything to see if it fogs the plastic up. If it doesn't, i'd put a tiny amount on a q-tip and go over the residue in a circular pattern.
Goof-off is basically lighter fluid for those without a lighter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
this is the first I've heard of residue on the bare plastic. Try the soapy water first, then the vegatable oil
I had a bit of residue left on mine (bare plastic). I almost made a problem by using a bit of testors thinner on a cotton swap and it seemed to fog the plastic so I stopped. I then just used some warm water with Dawn dishwashing soap and carefulley worked it off. Clear Future fixed the small fogged area.

So my recommendation is not use thinner :tongue:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If it is a sticky substance,:( I had success using cotton swabs and vegetable cooking oil followed by dish soap and water to restore the shine.:) Hope this helps.:wave:
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
you know...... usually i dont listen to guys when they say

" oh, i have a trick for that. use 2% water, 10% dish soap, 20% mouthwash, 2 carrot slices, a shoe string, freeze it overnight and use only on wednesday. it will cure plastic cement by 34 seconds."

but in this case................. yeowza! veg oil and soap did it!
thanks dude! now i wont have to use my back up method........

A BALL PEEN HAMMER!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts