Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a rather large resin two part base, a floor and a wall. The floor has quite a bow in it. Laying flat, it bows up in the center. My question is this. I have a heat gun so should I heat it from the bottom or the top? Or does it make a difference? It's 3/8" thick. Or would hot water be better? It looks to be about 12X12" and I don't know if I've got anything that large to soak it in.

My one concern, if I use a heat gun, there is some small fine detail on the floor grating that could be distorted should I use too much heat. So have I aswered my own question here?

Lastly, and don't know if this can be aswered, but does it take a lot of heat or a little to reform resin this thick? One thing I DO NOT want to do is crack it (obviously). No way could it be repaired!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hal9001-

·
Registered
546 Posts
hal,

I have had a number of resin bases with the same problem. If I couldn't sand it flat...without losing detail at the edges...I always soaked it in hot water. The thickness of the resin determines how long you will have to soak it...to get it soft enough to press down on to flatten it, but not too soft. Not knowing what detail is on the "surface" of the base, be careful not to put "the weight" on areas that might "mutate" the details.
What is the kit?

Hope this helps!
Phil K

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
hal,

I have had a number of resin bases with the same problem. If I couldn't sand it flat...without losing detail at the edges...I always soaked it in hot water. The thickness of the resin determines how long you will have to soak it...to get it soft enough to press down on to flatten it, but not too soft. Not knowing what detail is on the "surface" of the base, be careful not to put "the weight" on areas that might "mutate" the details.
What is the kit?

Hope this helps!
Phil K
Phil, it's the Geometric Designs Deluxe Aliens Base.

hal9001-

·
Registered
861 Posts
The nice thing with having the recent triple digit heat indexes (if there is good thing) is I had a warped foam base, used bar clamps to clamp it to a plank of wood and set it out in the sun for the afternoon, checking on it from time to time and adjusting things. Worked great. Thanks Mother Nature.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is bowed enough trying clap it down would be taking an awful risk of snapping into I think. Besides, all we've been having lately is a lot of rain!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

hal9001-

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
resin won't melt like plastic but it is heat sensitive. I would heat it in boiling water myself. You could use something like a baking pan or tray. It will soften and you can then clamp it to something flat while it cools.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
A Wagner heat gun will work wonders on bending and shaping resin back into place.They have them at Home Depot for under 30.00 bucks.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A Wagner heat gun will work wonders on bending and shaping resin back into place.They have them at Home Depot for under 30.00 bucks.
Got one. What I like about it is it has two heat settings. When the time comes to build this, I think this is what I'll try. Just a little apprehensive about over doing it. I wanted to take notes on how others were doing it.

hal9001-

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Got one. What I like about it is it has two heat settings. When the time comes to build this, I think this is what I'll try. Just a little apprehensive about over doing it. I wanted to take notes on how others were doing it.

hal9001-
Well when had to reshape the MIM operation kit which the table was warped on one side.That wagner heat gun came in handy.Just take your time and do it in stages and during each stage of heating and reshaping cool it down with cold water to see how much further you have to go before you get back to normal.Plus do it in a well ventilated area cause the resin will let off fumes.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I had to do that to a couple of large resin pieces one being the MIM Phantom of the Opera door. It was a medium sized piece so I got some water boiling in a pot. Then I poured it into a larger pan and placed the warped door in the water. I took it out, carefully so as not to get burned, and laid some heavy books on top. It worked perfectly. The resin itself was quite warm but never got hot enough to melt or deform.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,316 Posts
I've had luck with both the hair dryer and the hot water trick.

One thing I was once told: Once the part is flattened out, douse it with cold water. That's supposed to lock the shape in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts