Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gonna complain. I have found exactly three Super Hidden T-hunts. Getting tired of the search. Go to Amazon, Global diecast, Ebay. $30!!!! And those are the cheap ones. I know they are out there for a dollar, why pay that much for them?

Then I see pics where people have found them, only they've grabbed 8 of them! The ones I've found, I found one of. One at a time! Is their distribution so wack that they arrive in some stores by the dozen, leaving other stores without a chance?

Same with M2 chases (I have one), white lightnings (JL is so rare around here, I'll never find one in the wild).

Do I expect anyone to do anything about it? No. Just venting. I'll eventually find them all, or break down and pay the exhorbitant prices. This is why I stopped playing Magic: The Gathering...

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Well...I've read a few of those threads and it doesn't seem to be the distribution as much as it is some people and their attitudes. Hunting hard, 10-20 shops a day...and I haven't seen the same attitude on these boards about any other brand than Hot Wheels. I got sick of it. My money is going to vintage Matchbox now and other things because I refuse to be part of the chase car craze. No point.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true. Most of my money goes towards what I like, regardless of brand. But at the same time, it would be nice to have more than one of the cars people drool over (even if those people are Hot Wheels fanboys...).

10 to 20 shops would exhaust every store within an hour of me and take all day to do. Aside for Wal-Mart and Dollar General (which are pretty much in every town), there aren't that many stores in this area that carry diecast. But...maybe I'll hit a few of them later today...

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
it would be nice to have more than one of the cars people drool over (even if those people are Hot Wheels fanboys...).
That's fair enough, but why? I mean I've gone through it and one day I just had to ask myself "I could buy this car now, post it on HT, have people go nuts over them for a day and then that's it". It seems to take on average 12 hours until a thread has moved to page 2 and it would be a bit expensive for me to keep up with that. I don't know, I'm really not accusing you of anything or try to start a fight, really, but I mean...I know how it feels when people go nuts over a car and then I find one and I can say I've got one too. It's nice for a moment but it really only seems to happen in the Hot Wheels brand. At one point I just felt like disconnecting myself from that.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you are starting a fight. I see your point, too. Like the title says, grumpy morning. My son starts High School, and suddenly I have to be up early. Still not used to it.

I think it just bugs me the most when I see pics that people post with 6 or 8 copies of one. C'mon man! Share with the rest of us! You know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I will add that I really do like the M2 gold chases, regardless of who else does. Now if only I could find more than the one... The chases with the colored tires, not so much.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Hey bro were all allowed to have our grumpy moments. And it at times does get aggravating not being able to find what your looking for and then looking on line and finding it at a price that makes what little hair I have left curl. I have been looking for five items made by Code 3 Collectibles that are for me the Holly Grail of my die cast collecting.

One of those items I found a while back and what sold for 59.99 when it was new is now going for almost three hundred dollars and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on one model. Granted Code 3 has stopped producing models but come on guys it is not made of gold.

The Treasure Hunts and Chase cars, except for M2 Machines, I can take them or leave them. I think I found maybe four Treasure Hunts since I have been collecting and the first couple I did not even realize they we treasure hunts. Last year I went on Amazon and went crazy bought a lot of cars that were way over priced and this year I have decided unless it is something that I cannot find any where else then I am going to leave it on Amazon, I don't buy from Ebay so I won't even think about going there. I have found that Global, Nickelcast, and Mini Motors and a couple of others are very competitive and there fore they get my business. Heck I have even found a couple things at Nickelcast that are cheaper than what they are in the stores.

That is just my two cents worth.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Well, that's three more than I've found :p But I don't do exhaustive searches. I got the two I wanted through trading and buying/selling.

As for M2s, I've had a lot of success at Hobby Lobby. Seems the scalpers either haven't caught on yet or don't see a big enough profit margin. Personally, I've found 7 between three different stores (left a few of those as well).

Remember, if it's bringing you more frustration than enjoyment, then it's no longer a hobby :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I tend to agree with Kiwi. It's cool to find them, but it's not the end of the world if you don't. I too have turned more of my focus towards vintage cars. The new stuff seems to be a lot of "flavor of the week" type stuff and interest quickly dies. The guys who buy every single one MAY get lucky and sell them for crazy prices if that is what they are into, but chances are they will be stuck with a bunch when the next newest and greatest comes out. Even if you find them for a dollar, think of the time, gas and energy that you have invested searching for them.Much more than a dollar and it doesn't seem like such a great find anymore. Just not as fun anymore. You said it. It makes you grumpy. Hobbies are not supposed to do that.
Stuff like this are my new "chase" cars. Cool as heck and you don't have to spend a fortune to find them. Whatever you do with this hobyy, enjoy it and have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I feel your frustration.....it makes it hard on the average collector wanting a specific piece when some folks are posting that they find 8 or 10 of the same car in a single day.

Just look at it this way: If we could find everything, there'd be nothing more to collect....there's always a goal to get to :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting !

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well see heres the rub, i will on more than one occasion pick up multiples of chase cars when i find them for 2 purposes, one to have a couple extra to trade. Once i have 2 treasure hunts one for me and one for my little girl then then ill pick up some more when i find them to trade a couple and raok the others.
I look at it this way, none of the other collectors in my area have ever shared with me while clearing the pegs, i have not received an raok from them, or had one next to me hand an extra they found while both checking the pegs, whil i have done that, where as the guys on here are the ones i converse with so i gladly will send extra cars out to friends or others who cannot find something that may seem plentiful here. Ive left cars before only to never find them again and had people looking hard for something i left hanging and now their only option is to pay a lot for so if i can squirrel a few extra cars away to save for someone elses rainy day i will. Sounds like its rainin in your area. Its just a luck game and timing. Ive had some really lousy dry spells and some epic score spells. It seems cyclical.

Last night while at walmart i had 5 crooze batmobiles in my hand (they were the only ones i found ) and i saw a guy and his wife looking at batman cars on the mainline pegs. I asked him what he was looking for if it was something specific. I directed him to the side shipper o batman cars and asked if he was looking for this one cause these were the last ones an if he needed one he could have one. He thanked me and said he didnt but was happy to find te others.

So sure ill trade a dollar treasure hunt for another dollar treasure hunt i dont have and if i get lucky and find a bunch, ill grab a bunch o extras and spread them out across North America. Got a couple of croozes going to canada and if you havent had any luck with rancheros or surf crates, lmk since i have a box to get out for ya with the wagon.

Oh and i do ask gimuys i meet if they Are on HT and usually they are not.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
im thinking they(mattel) knows how many th and STH cars are in each case then they send those bigger cases to the more populated areas with more stores in a small area... i have found 2 reg TH cars in a couple months. but im not going around just looking for those, i go around looking for when they put out new cases so i can hope to find something cool that i like...i still enjoy finding a TH and thats not what im extensivly looking for so makes it that much cooler when i do find one. i think some people have a good connection with the store workers to go through the cases when new ones come in and such...i know i could not even fathom hitting 10-20 stores a day, for one my back and legs could not handle all the times id have to press in my clutch to drive to these stores and how much walking to find...around here is pathetic, nobody updates their stock. i ask if they can check they just say no we dont have any without checking as usual around here typical lazy workers dont restock things, bad part is in all the dollar generals the HW's are right near the front of the store!. i dunno but i too get tired of seeing people grab a ton of STH and TH cars and post em here to me it seems sort of like bragging "ha ha i got all these and you guys can never get this many" but on the other hand some will either give them away as RAOK's to people who cant find them but some of course sell em on ebay. dont get too stressed about it. think of the reason why you enjoy this hobby, then think of why you are after th and STH cars. it helps going into a store and just assuming you wont find any then when you do, makes it that little bit more exciting to find one.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm not into Hot Wheels that much and DEFINITELY not into the THs. I have two, only one did I find in the wild and it was in a dollar store and I didn't even realize it was a TH at the time. The second TH I just received as a RAOK not because it was a TH but because I liked the color better on the TH than I did the regular mainline which made it more attractive to me. I have one other TH I'd like to get for the same reason - better color making it more attractive to me.

M2s are a different story. I love the black and gold combination and will get any M2 chase I can get my hands on. I think I have somewhere around 10 - 12 of them at the moment. But even there I put a dollar limit on them. For the 1:64 I have arbitrarily set that limit at $15 - including shipping, usually, although I may fudge on that a bit depending on the car.

I just get tired of going to the same old stores finding the same old product on the shelves and having to go home with the same old empty arms. It would be even worse if my main target were THs - I have yet to find one in ANY Walmart, Target, TRU, etc., in the area!

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I gave up on finding any Supers. Have not found one in my area in over 4 years. I occasionally find a treasure hunt here and there but I am with others....

Give me a vintage Matchbox anyday and I am HAPPY!:hat::):tongue::hat:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well I have NEVER found a TH or a super. Do I look for them? Sure I do, just never found one.

Does it bother me? NO and that's because I collect what I think is cool or what I like. That's all that matters--right?

Like Tolenmar, it bugs me is when I see guys getting 5 or more of the same TH or super vehicles and tend to brag about it. I mean REALLY??!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My goal is only to see what they have. And you are right, so often, it's the same stuff as last week.

I just went out today and grabbed a couple of mainline hot wheels that weren't TH's, a couple of JL's, and a couple of M2's. Not a one was a chase, but I really like them. However, while I'm out, I do look to see if I can come across something extra special because I also do enjoy the "haha I have one and you don't!" feeling. I think that's just human nature, though. EVery time I check the M2 section, I'm going through the HW, JL, MB, etc...

Z06: I just found one of those in a new store this past week. Mine is missing the hook, and the paint is far worse than that one, but I love it nonetheless. I'm going back on payday to see what else I can find (they have an old Johnny Lightning race track set that I hope they aren't charging too much for...).

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Messer: The ranchero is high on my list. I keep hoping to find one. I know that one day I will. Surf Crate is cool, too. I have a couple of mainline versions, but no TH's yet. Surf Crate, Boneshaker and the Shelby Cobra are cars I'll probably always buy more of, they are just so cool!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Messer: The ranchero is high on my list. I keep hoping to find one. I know that one day I will. Surf Crate is cool, too. I have a couple of mainline versions, but no TH's yet. Surf Crate, Boneshaker and the Shelby Cobra are cars I'll probably always buy more of, they are just so cool!
Ill send ya one of each.
I found a couple more Rancheros yesterday, since i had given away all of the others i found last time. Also have a couple of Crates left that I picked up, so you can cross them off your list. Ill put them in your box.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I haven't found a single Treasure Hunt, super or not, in the wild in over a year or so. No chases of other brands either. Oh well. I did find a super at a flea market for $5 tho :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O, the irony! Since I visited Benton's Wally and made a couple of good M2 grabs, I figured I'd check my local and see if they had moved the M2's into the clearance aisle. I've been eyeing the orange M2 Camaro for a whlie now. Didn't find a single one. But while I was there I found the Super Hidden Maverick Grabber...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts