Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread...so no personal opinion attacks,I'm just interested in the facts...how your spending habits have changed since the buyout...if they haven't changed,that fine.

If your a dealer...have you noticed any changes in customers spending habits?

I've stopped buying slot cars,I've quit collecting WL's and I won't be buying at full retail price until I see what direction J.L. is heading in,until then I'll be looking for good price deals only from the secondary market.

So where has my diecast allowance $$$ been going?...older vintage HW's.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
i know of several other die hard JL collectors who have gon ethe way of spending their bucks on the old red lines,,,,,,,,,,for me, my spending habits havent changed at all sinse the buyout,,,,,of course they hadnt changed before that for about 2 years either,,,,,,

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I wouldn't say mine have changed, but the stores are so ssllloowww over the summer when it comes to getting JL's in. I've kinda quit going out hunting anymore, just b/c there's never anything new. Plus, no new Firebirds...yet.;)

So RC2 hasn't changed me at all. But then again, I don't think the JL lineup has yet to feel the effect from RC2.

·
7,461 Posts
Personal situations and life hurtles has changed my spending habbits somewhat in the past year. But the RC2 buyout has caused me to think a lot about my future collecting habits all togather.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to all who have replied so far...

D-Man...your comment tells me I'm not the only "diehard JL collector" this is affecting in a weird way.

41...probably a good move on your part,why spend the time, gas and wear and tear and your car when you can sit at home and wait for the postal carrier...been there myself.

Porsche...good points,I'll bet that is the story for a lot of collectors,and I do think your right about the JL lineup not showing the RC2 effect yet.

Kenny...sorry about the hurtles,I wish you the best in the future,I'm trying to stay away from the why your habits changed in fear the thread will take a turn for the worst.

Rob...something else to say? seeing the 3 period's after your "no"makes me feel like you wanted to say something else but stopped. Wait,I already know your answer will be no... so you'll have to answer yes to my assumption that your answer will be no.:lol:

:wave:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have slowed down,only bought 2 JLs this year, the Nash Metro(flamed) and a JLPD Tow Truck.

I will continue to look,hunt, & collect unless/until RC2/Playing Mantis fails to produce my kind of diecast.

I have spent most of my money on Jada,Funline,NewRay,Maisto, and basically anything(scale) I find on clearance...But that's just the customizing side of my searches.

Jeff Fleetwood

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jnk...your in a good position,your a master customizer...if the diecast company's don't produce what you like you just rebuild it to your liking...very smart move:thumbsup:

R

·
0 Posts
Walter,

the extra unsaid words are just the fact that I have already trimmed down my new car purchases to just the models I like... but I did that a long time before the RC2 purchase of JL/PM. While I actually have more access to JL cars (with Sherry having the store) I seem to be buying fewer cars - but then again that could be because of Zingers, Import Heat, Scrapin', Coke, Cat in the Hat, Clue, etc... if there isn't a car I like, I can't buy it.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob...cool and thanks for the explanation,I understand the time frame thing.

I think most of us are the same way anymore,if we don't like it,we won't buy it.I think collectors with the completest,must have everything attitude are getting farer and fewer between.
:)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
my spending went from hw to jl. ( no hw buying anymore ) to much bling bling now if jl takes a turn for bling bling and tractor junk my spending will end there im hoping thay keep making the same stuff as always but time will tell as to what rc/ertel have in mine. then ill make my mind up to keep going jl or quit buying. later gunn

·
Registered
243 Posts
For now the buy out hasn't changed what I collect ! I buy what I kike and who makes it dosn't make much difference ! Seems what I have bought lately has been from the JL line but that can change, as long as they continue as they are I am sure I will find something in the line that I like !

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine haven't changed at all. I don't see any difference so far. That might change in the future, but it will be dependent on casting quality and paint quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Naaaa....No need to kneejerk this. JL's can only get better with this kind of financial backing and after the Summer issue of News Flash hit my door, i'm cool!!

Later, Dave

·
Registered
624 Posts
No I have not changed my spending habits.But I have not spent as much because there has not been as much new stuff out lately. I am disappointed in the Club Stores shipping though since RC2 took over. I used to get my orders in 2-3 days( I am only about 100 miles away) But now I have waited over 2 weeks for my last order and still have not gotten it. :confused:

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Hi Walter,
My spending habits changed years ago way before the buyout.

I still buy an occasional JL car, two this year (both 350Z's), but will only buy in great number via sales (KB etc).

And from what I have seen at KB in regard to sales, all they have are vans. And vans. And yet more vans. And even still more vans...nothing decent.
Just more vans.

No thanks.

Interesting to note: From what I have read the amount of folks getting into vintage redlines (myself included). Thus far this year, I have bought about 400 HotWheels vintage redline cars. My Topper collecting is holding steady as well with a few expensive purchases (deals on RLOL).

R

·
0 Posts
I have been buying a lot of Topper Ferraris in NM to Mint condition and some in blister

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It hasn't affecting my buying habits because I only buy what I like anyway, no matter who makes it.

Hasn't seemed to affect my customers either.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I havent changed yet . Will wait to see what happens . I buy a lot of Ertl stuff anyway . Mainly 1/18 . They make a heck of lot more than tractors ! JL stuff always seems hard to find anyway . I mainly buy JL in 1/64 because they have the best selection / variety. I seldom buy Hot Wheels , when I do its a collectors car - something real .. Not a thingmobile ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts