Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever seen this before? that's ICE!!! we took it down and the piston is shot along with cylinder. its a GX240 i think. we couldn't get it started and pull rope wouldn't pull, obviously.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
LowRider,are you from one of those places that don't normally freeze,but now is colder then a witches you know what? That engine was left out in the elements with the exhaust valve open,and rain water got thru the muffler. Apparently the engine was tipped just enough for it to happen,then it froze.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, GA. don't know how the engine would of tipped as it was on a log splitter. never seen this before.

·
Registered
98 Posts
water and small engines is like sand on the beach and a butt crack. nobody knows for sure how it gets in there but it just does.:confused:

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have seen this often this time of year up here in the northeast. the equipment i see it in units that are those the dont get run often and collect water from sitting in the weather.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually if I remember correctly, doesnt the GX series have a problem running gas into the cylinder if the fuel switch isnt turned off or if the rubber seal in the fuel switch is rotted? I can see over time if it doesnt run for a while collecting water (condensating) in the "Metal" tank leaking into the cylinder then freezing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Actually if I remember correctly, doesnt the GX series have a problem running gas into the cylinder if the fuel switch isnt turned off or if the rubber seal in the fuel switch is rotted? I can see over time if it doesnt run for a while collecting water (condensating) in the "Metal" tank leaking into the cylinder then freezing.
The biggest time this happens is during transportation the fuel valve is open and the the float bounces and pumps fuel .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest time this happens is during transportation the fuel valve is open and the the float bounces and pumps fuel .
Yep.

this is a log splitter that we can't keep indoors unfortunately. paid 439 bucks for a new engine. This piece of equipment isn't the best money maker in the rental business, at least where I'm at

·
Registered
85 Posts
Regardless of how,it got in there,that's for sure. We northeners have been watching the news,so know what you southern folks have been going through with Mother Nature. I also belong to a few other forums with members from the south,and you guys aren't used to what we call normal certain times of the year. We had a few people that were utterly clueless what to do about frozen or potentially freezing pipes,so had to ask. The answers were simple,but when you've never had to deal with it before,it seems amazing to you. I was seeing reports of TV where swimming pool filters/pumps were freezing and breaking. People just didn't know they should drain them to prevent it from happening. Preventive maintenance to foil old Ma Nature is "second nature" to us.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah you are kinda far south for a log splitter. I only stated that on the GX series because I have worked on alot of those at the rental place I was at and these are notorious for doing this. However, I do know that just moving equipment around they will do this if it is open, which we were always moving equipment around to get to another piece. We had a 25 ton log splitter, walk behind saw, stump cutter, bedding edger, ditch witch trencher and several other with honda engines that when left open, we had to drain the oil cause it would reak like gas after a few weeks of sitting. Past experience told me to make sure that they got closed. :thumbsup:

Spring and fall at the place I was at was alot of work, over 800 of over 1400 pieces of equipment had to be serviced for winter then brought back into service in the beggining of March. Enough to make you go nuts. Look around for places that get rid of scratch and dents at a lot lower price, we went through alot of hondas where I was at so it wasnt worth it for us to spend large sums on any engine. Alot of dust and concrete dust will take these out fast even on a good cleaning schedule.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you are kinda far south for a log splitter. I only stated that on the GX series because I have worked on alot of those at the rental place I was at and these are notorious for doing this. However, I do know that just moving equipment around they will do this if it is open, which we were always moving equipment around to get to another piece. We had a 25 ton log splitter, walk behind saw, stump cutter, bedding edger, ditch witch trencher and several other with honda engines that when left open, we had to drain the oil cause it would reak like gas after a few weeks of sitting. Past experience told me to make sure that they got closed. :thumbsup:

Spring and fall at the place I was at was alot of work, over 800 of over 1400 pieces of equipment had to be serviced for winter then brought back into service in the beggining of March. Enough to make you go nuts. Look around for places that get rid of scratch and dents at a lot lower price, we went through alot of hondas where I was at so it wasnt worth it for us to spend large sums on any engine. Alot of dust and concrete dust will take these out fast even on a good cleaning schedule.
its only the log splitters that we rent out that we have to watch as they don't go out often. Our trenchers that we keep outside get rented and stay rented so we have few problems if any. the log splitters though love to suck up water in the gas tank and just goes from there.

Concrete saws we never had a problem with either, just got to make sure the pre filter is always clean and to make sure you clean the air inlet when it starts to show signs dust is getting in there. another thing is to do is clean the cyclone out after each rental.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts