Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys--I don't post here often, but I lurk every now and again. Could any of you give me insight into a problem I'm having? About three years ago, I posted a message here asking if anyone painted models. I had a few vintage built-ups and repops I wanted done but just didn't have the patience (nor the skill) to do them myself. Anyway, I got a few responses and finally settled on one (who shall remain nameless). His work was really exemplary, from the photos he sent me. I immediately sent him both a PL Munsters and Bride of Frankenstein, and he finished them in three months. Not only was the pricing reasonable, but the final products blew me away! I couldn't have asked for better. At that point, I sent him an Aurora Batman and Superman. And that's when the problems started.

As was our agreement, I also sent payment along with the kits. One month elapsed. Then two. Then three. Finally, I e-mailed him to ask the status, and he didn't respond. After three more e-mails, I finally heard back. He claimed to be experiencing marriage problems and a messy divorce, but Supes was almost done. I received the model SIX months later--and it was beautiful. But by this time, he'd had it for almost a year, and still not Bats. When another month went by, I wrote him again, and this time he said his house had been broken into and the model was stolen. He apologized profusely and promised the buy another classic Bats (at his own expense) and paint it up for me. That was over a year ago.

Since then, I heard from him only once, last April. At that time, he said the model was ready to go. My e-mails bounce back as "failed," and I have no other contact info for him, since he'd moved. What to do? Have any of you run into similar situations?

I'm still very much in the market for someone to paint my models, but I don't want to wait a year for each one to be done! Right now, I have a Monogram Phantom of the Opera in the box I'd like to see painted, as well as a King Kong, Lost in Space Robot, and Land of the Giants Snake (all repops, by the way and still in boxes). Anybody interested?

Thanks - Rod

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
hey Rod ,
i do some painting for folks so let me get back in touch with ya on monday ( we can swap some emails and discuss ) . i'll be away from the computer all weekend .
a buddy of mine used to buy old BU's off ebay and i'd restore them for him and he'd resell 'em . unfortunately i don't have pics , but i could put you in touch with a couple of guys i've painted for .
i'd love to take a shot at the Phantom ( just finished a replacement head conversion for myself ) and Kong for ya .
like i say ' i'll touch back with ya come monday. and you can lmk what you were paying , what color schemes ya like etc. ( i try to stay middle of the road on my pricing ) .
man i feel for ya on yer lost kit . the key in working with folks ( esp online ) is to communicate , be upfront ( heck everybody experiences difficulties ya just can't crawl in a hole and ignore people ) .
good luck on getting in touch with the dude and gettin' Bats back .
hb

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi Rod,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Would it be worth pursuing in small claims court? You could
even file a complaint with the postal inspector - could fall under mail fraud. Try posting your story at Lawyers.com, see if you get any sound advice (for free).

Anyway, I love painting models more than buiding them. However, I don't have much time to do my own kits let alone others. I'm curious, why not paint them yourself? You can always practice on old car or plane kits before tackling your prized Aurora/PL kits. I have learned and improved so much by participating in these model BBs. There is a wealth of info. on techniques, paints, etc... Give yourself a chance, the personal satisfaction you receive is priceless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts