Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Magneto Briggs & Stratton small engine hand garden tractor. It won't start.

I have gas. I have spark. Nothing happens. Doesn't even pop. What's the matter? :(

Monte

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have an older Magneto Briggs & Stratton small engine hand garden tractor. It won't start.

I have gas. I have spark. Nothing happens. Doesn't even pop. What's the matter? :(

Monte
do you have compression have you tried fuel in the plug hole to bypass the carb
as you may have fuel in the tank but this may not get to the plug

bill

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
First I would replace the spark plug...it could spark out of the engine but not under pressure with gas...
check spark timing...
place your hand over the carb and run the starter...looking for vacuum at carb...
are valves opening and closing completely...check cam to crank timing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I would replace the spark plug...it could spark out of the engine but not under pressure with gas...
check spark timing...
place your hand over the carb and run the starter...looking for vacuum at carb...
These are good recommendations. I'll look at the spark plug and everything else you mentioned and get back here with results. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check spark timing...
Update: I put in an new spark plug---nothing.

It has a magneto, not a distributor. Can you time a magneto?

This has a pull start, not a regular starter. Old engine. Can't see the valves without tearing it apart. Only has one piston, so I'm assuming it only has one valve.

Any other ideas?
Monte

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
magneto does have timing...just like a point system...or electronic ones...

yes only one valve for intake and one for exhaust...

if it is a flat head engine...remove the head...and check that the valves are closing and opening...seeing that you could check and see if they are opening and closing at the correct time compaired to the crankshaft...
a new head gasket is like $5.00

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Post the Model Type and Code numbers off your engine please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That won't work, Check with a gauge.
May have a blown head gaset or bad rings.
Head Gasket is okay. Just looked. But can't see rings. Just piston. How do I find out if the rings are bad?? Because it does have compression....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Head Gasket is okay. Just looked. But can't see rings. Just piston. How do I find out if the rings are bad?? Because it does have compression....
do a compression test with a gauge or a leakdown test which will indicate if you have a leak and where the leak is

·
Registered
88 Posts
Needs

You need fuel, compression, spark and they have to happen at the right time. It sounds like you have the first three so check timing. Briggs have a key way that can shear off holding the fly wheel in proper time. Depending on the model you might check by pulling off the fly wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts