Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has ever used the 'The Chopper III', or any of the 'Choppers' 1, 2, or 3 for that matter. If so would you mind giving me your take on it?

I have desperately got to get my gift list letter to Santa before it's too late!

Thanks for any help you can give.

hal9001-

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I have a II or III (I forget which). What do you need to know about it?

I used it on a wooden ship model, specifically to cut deck planking. I needed to make a ton of identical strips. It cut through the (bass?) wood easily. The plastic alignment templatese are a bit wonky but the tool worked very well and precisely. The cutting blade is, IIRC, just a single edge razor blade. I have heard other people have had problems with the blade twisting when they tried to cut thick plastic, which I am not sure the tool is designed for.

I liked it. It saved me making a jig or something to do the same job.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I have Choppers I and III. They are only meant to cut through wood and thin plastic strip stock. They work superbly if you stay within those parameters.

If you get one and use it accordingly, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the Chopper II.

I agree with Trek, for thin stock a Chopper beats a hand-held blade hands down. For example, it's great for making scale HO lumber out of either basswood or plastic. You can turn out a whole lumber yard's worth of identical scale 2x4's before things even start to get tedius. I've even used it to make scale lumber from burned-out wooded match sticks. It's so easy it makes it thinkable to construct things like scale wood palettes, plank doors, etc. out of real wood.

I suspect it might bend if you tried to force it through too a thick stock (though you could probably use it to true-up ragged ends if you were careful).

-Neil

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the Chopper II and once you setup a jig or something you can get very consistent results. I have used it to cut only styrene. It is not used all the time but a real time saver when needed.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I have the Chopper II. It's a useful tool to have that's for sure!
I've been working on and off on a 1/32 scale u-boat and I had to make the conning tower deck which is like a wooden deck with square floodholes in it. It was easy to make the basic pattern but I needed to cut 1mm x 1mm cubes of wood to fill in gaps (hundreds of 'em!). I'd tried all sorts of ways to make them but everything always led to the part being crushed on the cut edge. After pulling my hair out due to frustration a friend suggested the Chopper and I'm glad I picked one up. Perfect fitting 1 x 1 cubes every time with perfectly sharp straight edges!
Very very highly recommended!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chris.:)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just realized I failed to thank you guys for your input! With your testimonials I had no problem makeing a decision. I now know (but I'm not suppose to know) what's in that elongated box under the tree.

Based on what you've said I look forward to using it.

Thanks again,
hal9001-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts