and around $6.00 to $10.00 for Treasure Hunts! And
the "
Decent Oldies " seem to be getting harder to find as well
with most of whats hanging on the dealers pegs being the "
Fantasy
Genre
" Hot Wheels.

Anyone else noticed any
similiar changes in your neck of the Backwoods?

o_O:eek::unsure:

Premium Member
Yes older hotwheels are getting harder to find in my area also. So far this winter at my local flea market there hasn't been that many vendors at my local flea market selling hotwheels and my friends that I get hotwheels from at the flea market are mostly newer hotwheels that are coming out now in stores sometimes I get older hotwheels from my friends but not that much in the summer time there are more vendors at my local flea market selling hotwheels. So I find more older hotwheels at my local flea market in summer time than I do in the winter time and last year there wasn't a lot yard sales or garage sales in my area and last year because all car shows and toy shows got canceled last year because of the virus I wasn't able to go to any of those last year to look for older hotwheels and so far I haven't heard or seen about any car shows or toy shows yet for this year either in my area. I do have a couple local hobby stores in my area one down the street from where I live and one at my local mall. So I go to them to look for older hotwheels and I have been finding older hotwheels at they're places to add to my hotwheels collection and I have gotten some older hotwheels in the mail from friends on other diecast websites. 馃憤But I'm not finding as many older hotwheels as I used to before this virus started.

Registered
Yes. My wife and I went flea marketing yesterday in Hanover Pa. One of our favorites antique malls there has become Hot Wheels headquarters! There used to be a great variety of stuff there with a few diecast cars here and there. Now there are entire walls of Hot Wheels......entire stall filled with every kind of diecast. Many are recent and even current issues like what is in the stores right now. Then theres a bunch that date back as far as the mid-'90s. The prices for mainlines were $2-$4 for most, but Camaros and Mustangs were $5-$6. Pop culture and Car Culture were $10-$15. Also quite a few vintage redlines with outrageous prices. Wife didn't wanna stand around waiting for me to look thru them all. I gave a quick look at them all but there were so many it would've taken all day to go thru. I ended up leaving with nothing.

Registered
I was thinking that it may have to do with availability and also the Covid situation. If some places there may be limited capacity, vendors aren't selling to as many people as before. So to make up, they may hike up the price.
Collectors may be unloading or thinning their collections and are asking for higher than usual prices. So when vendors do buy large amounts, they may feel the need to pass along the cost increase.
Things have a tendency to level off over time. When the stuff doesn't move off their pegs, sooner or later the vendors will drop the prices.

Administrator
Economics 101

Another factor is that the collectors with most disposable income at the time is shifting to a younger group than most of us are - and that lline of Hot Wheels are the ones from their childhood they want to collect. As always its down to supply and demand. And there is always exceptions.. But If we manage to stay alive - we should see a better availablity of Redlines in our future at ridiculously lower prices - than why dont collect more of them now.

Banned
So far this winter at my local flea market there hasn't been that many vendors at my local flea market selling hotwheels and my friends that I get hotwheels from at the flea market are mostly newer hotwheels that are coming out now in stores sometimes I get older hotwheels from my friends but not that much in the summer time there are more vendors at my local flea market selling hotwheels

Registered
interesting, things that I have gleaned ... I jumped into redlines about 6 or 7 years ago. Noticed those jumped up about the time of the 50th anniversary. Another thing I have noticed, there seems to be a line around the mid 1990's.... I started collecting around 1998 and it would seem ALOT of people jumped in about that time. I remember cars that were popular and cars that were peg warmers around that time. Now people are posting about finding this "oldie" and it was just a peg warmer in the 1990's. I have noticed also people posting about finding whole collections and finding flea market stands with "tons of old Hot Wheels" and these are always the 1990's and up. That's the line I'm talking about. Seem to never find big collections for sale or venders selling hoards of the 1980's or earlier stuff anymore...

Administrator
Yep, we are down to only one vendor with only Redlines and 2 who go back to the 1980s at our toy show events.

Registered
I've got hundreds of mid to late 90s cards for sale locally on CL, PM me if interested.
Relocate this post if necessary...

Administrator
The question got me to thinking about my Corvette collecting efforts. I have found most of the ones and their variations that fit the 'oldies' segments that Hot Wheels has put out and many other brands as well. But all brands are getting harder to find examples of to upgrade the collection with. The more pricey ones are non existent to find and their values have shot up 10xs over what I was paying for them just 4 years ago. Not a buyers market for me, but have never had many Corvette collectors at the toy shows we attend to start with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts