Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early 80's, I met the hobby department manager of a local vaiety store (now long since failed). At the time, the hobby department had some rather badly made models hanging from the ceiling. He and I talked about them and I found that the store's owner had done them. There was a Monogram B-52 painted like Bozo the Clown!

I offered a deal where I would build models for them to display in exchange for an unbuilt kit of the same model. I would provide the paint, cement, and the effort. He took that to the store manager, and I was given a B-52 to build as a test. I took it home and over the next few weeks, built it up and painted it in VietNam livery. (camo upper surfaces and black lower surfaces.) It looked great, and the managers were very impressed. I proceeded to build around 6 or 7 kits for them, including the large scale Monmogram B-29 and B-36 bombers, as well as a large scale Revell Space Shuttle Orbiter. Of course, I recieved the same kit unbuilt for my efforts. I LOVED that job, even though I didn't get paid in anything but kits.

Has anyone else here had such an opportunity?

Larry

·
Registered
546 Posts
YEARS AGO, I worked for a hobby chain (in the mid-west) called Triarco. When I built things for display (mostly models) I was paid in "credit" and could "get" anything in the store for the price of the credit accumulated...sounds a little like your job.
My BEST job (in the hobby) was working for GeoMetric Design...when George and Lyn owned it. Talk about a great boss!

Phil K

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Back around the same time in the 80's I used to frequent a local model shop and used to spend a fair amount in there each week.
Getting chatting to the owner one day he said he'd be interested in seeing some of my work and the following week I took a couple of dioramas in to show him (I was heavily into 1/35 military stuff at the time).
He was impressed by my skills and said if I was interested he would put them on display in a glass case in the shop.
I figured that might be a good advert for my skills and thought I might get some commisions from it so I agreed.
They were there for a few weeks and then a show came up and I went into the shop to collect them to take with me.
At that point the friendly guy suddenly turned nasty and said that as far as he was concerned I'd given them to him and he had no intention of giving them back as they were popular with the customers.
What resulted was a stand off which ended when I threatened to call the Police and he released the models.
Needless to say I never went back to that place, which is still open today.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I am doing some commission work now, as you can see on some of my threads, for a guy in Oregon restoring old Auroras. I wouldn't mind doing it for a shop either but for the amount of effort I have put in these I would have to get more than one copy of the model I built for the shop.

Miniature Sun, that sure put a bad taste in your mouth I bet! Bit of a scoundrel I'd say.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I've done that for a couple places in the past. I used to do it for a shop I used to work in for some big new kits. I built the 1/48 Revell B-1 for the shop and also the Tamiya 1/32 F-14 Tomcat. I'd get free kits in exchange for building a kit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Back in the the early 60's I knew a lot of what was called Glue baggers.This means they put the model glue in a paper bag and huffed it to get high.
The only way to get glue was to buy a model so they would give me the money to go in to the hobbyshop and but the model and glue.
They all let me keep the model as long as they got the glue.I got almost all my origional Universal Monster kits that way.It may not have been the best way to get free models but they were going to get the glue some how so I figured hey! I don't huff so if they do why not take advantage of the situation?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I knew about the glue sniffing, I believe a good friend did it, but I hated the odor even out in the open room when working on my models so I never breathed the stuff full strength. I still hate the smell of glue and try to keep it to a minimum as it makes me nauseous. It fries your brain too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bob,
You are so right! the one's that are still alive today are complete burnouts.
If you say hi or something to them they just give you a blank stare back like they don't even know who the heck you are! These are guys I knew growing up and even went to school with.
It's really a shame what they did to their selfs and I still to this day feel guilty for helping them get their glue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts