Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I have a riding mower with 17 hp B&S. It is hard to turn over. Its like the battery is dead, but its not. It will spin free for a second and then its like its binded down. I thought maybe the started was bad, so i changed it with a known good started with no luck. Its not the deck binding or a tight belt. I removed the spark plug and it spins free, but when i put it back it is still hard to turn, like there is too much compression-----I dont really know alot about engines, so i need some help figuring this one out.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I removed the spark plug and it spins free, but when i put it back it is still hard to turn, like there is too much compression
That may be the problem. These engines have a compression release to allow the stater to spin the engine over and start. You should check the valve lash (clearance) between the rocker arm and valve. It's likely that you have too much clearance and this has rendered the compression release inoperative.

You can click here to see the basic procedure for checking and adjusting your valves.

Another possibility is a bad battery, dirty or loose battery cable connections. You can have your battery load tested to see if it's providing sufficient current to the starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts