Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been jonesing for a decent diecast fix. I have found my share of super hunts this year but that's about it. I do not collect any other HW mainlines. I have grabbed a few HW Nostalgia here and there. I had pretty good luck with Forever R21(4 whites) I don't collect R64 but I am not dumb enough to leave a white behind as hard as they are to come by. I have found 1 GM this year, and one M2 Chase. Anything else that was added to my collection came through trades, ebay, or TTP. It's been a slow year.
With the current hiatus of high end JL I have given some thought to expanding my collecting habits in regards to brands. I used to be a big GL collector but their recent turn towards newer iron has me a bit nonplussed. AB15 and the new bandits look promising though I doubt my sorry TRU will get any. They have gotten ZERO collectable diecast since before Christmas 2011. All they have stocked is HW, MB, and Pixar. It's a really sad state of affairs. As previously stated I buy limited HW(no mainlines unless they happen to have rubber tires, LOL). JL 2.0 is invisible at retail. Very slim pickins in the GL arena as well. MB may as well be mainline HW with all of the goofy deco so none for me please, so it would appear I am stuck. I have been a big JL collector over the years and now it appears that like it or not, that chapter may be about to close. At this point I have little faith in the brand. If I keep my expectations low then maybe I won't be disappointed.

I have taken exception to some of the issues with M2 over the years. QC is a problem. Anyone who says QC is not a problem at times would be a blind homer in my opinion, strictly MY opinion. I have seen many, many cars in various states of assemblage over the years(I hunt a LOT) and I was unwilling to cut such a simple problem any slack. I don't wish to pay $6 for a car I have to put together. Another issue I have is the scale. In some instances the M2 is larger than it's JL/GL/HW counterparts. I am an opener and display like makes/models together. I did not want to seperate diecast brands or be forced to buy another $100+ display case just so I could seperate the M2s from the rest because side by side the M2 is(in most cases, not all) too big. My third and final gripe about the brand is not the opening doors, rather the gaps around them. In scale, a 1:1 version of most older M2s would have a 4" gap around the door. The cars won't fit into the displays with the doors open(and would not match my other brands) so closed is how they are displayed with big gaps around the doors. It's hard to see any detail on the inside of the doors so for me the opening doors are more of a detraction than a plus.

I lurk around the M2 threads and even comment when I see something I like. Lately it appears that the door gaps have improved a little and QC has maybe stepped up their game as well. I see how much pleasure and pride other collectors have in their M2 collections and questioned myself as to if I am missing out on something. I met Sean at AF in 2009, seems like a stand up guy and a good company. I have always wished these pet peeve problems I have with the brand didn't exist. I also wished over the years that M2 would move in my direction a little in terms of subject matter. I am a late 60s-early 70s musclehead and most of M2's early stuff was 50s based. Now I see the product line expanding and some of the new products look darn good, even in macro photos wich will bring out the smallest of imperfections. I have bought quite a few M2 chases over the years and the black on the geese help a great deal with the door gaps as well. LOOONNNNGGGG story short, I have bought 3 M2s in the last 3 days.

I saw that my Wally's had gotten some new Drivers finally and picked up this lovely black Roadrunner. I couldn't resist it. Is it as nice as a GL B-body? in a word no but it was half the price and beats a Forever hands down in terms of feel and overall quality. I am happy with this purchase and for the price I won't complain about the plastic base. Sean, you should be proud of your team on this one!

I am a Mopar guy but those who know me know that I have a soft spot for Oldsmobiles, especially 442s. I examined this one and the door gaps looked acceptable and the rest of it looked good so I bought it. As you guys know these come in the package driver's side out and closed, inside/passenger door propped open. I opened'er up.

Driver's side:

I unscrewed the plastic pedestal and closed the passenger door. This is as good as it gets.

Needless to say I was not happy. I tried forcing it closed to no avail. The hinge appears to be too low. Despite my best efforts this is the best I can get it to look.

Well,,, today I was in Hobby Lobby and they had the newest Auto-trucks. I spotted a killer-green Dodge and I wanted it. After making sure the doors didn't open I bought it and I'm glad I did. Kudos to you and your team again Sean for having the cajones to put this very bold Moparesque green on the body. Overall it is a very nice, and unique piece. Glad I bought it.

So now what do I do? I don't know yet.:confused:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the OLDs apart, tweek the hinge a bit and you'll be OK. If it's really messed up; email M2 and you might be able to get a replacement.
My wallet got tweeked for $6 already. I kinda feel like I souldn't have to invest my time into it too. If time is money this could end up being a $15 car. It's not THAT nice. Maybe I will, but right now I'm dissapointed.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
That happens when the workers overseas force the doors open to fit in the kickout plastic plate for the doors and it really messes them up..... M2 will have to get rid of that look someday so we Collectors will not have messed up doors.... Hoods are not so bad as the workers do not force the hoods wide open to make them open. Thank god as its bad enough we have to fix the one door.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Like you said, there isn't much reason to pay $6 for a car and then have to put it together but I often do. I also do more than just bending the hinge. A lot of times if you loosen the screw holding on the offending door, then close the door into the proper position and then retighten the screw, it will fix the problem - I think they get tweaked during all their travels. If that doesn't work then I might also bend the hinge a little. I also get can't stand it, being the perfectionist I am, if the body lines or tampos don't line up as they should between the doors and body and will use one of the above methods to get things aligned enough I can live with them. Sometimes it will even reduce/better align the door gap.

Or, have Sean replace it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Frustrating I'm sure but you have options. Return it or contact Sean for a replacement.

I'll admit that I'm not as "picky" as you and some other members here (maybe a rebellion against my perfectionist retired Chevy die maker dad) but I've only run into one minor door issue in over 100 M2s collected so far. Well, I did have a Driver 57 Bel Air with a missing headlight but I took that back to Wallymart and told them not to put it back out on the shelf (they did).

·
Banned
565 Posts
My wallet got tweeked for $6 already. I kinda feel like I souldn't have to invest my time into it too. If time is money this could end up being a $15 car. It's not THAT nice. Maybe I will, but right now I'm dissapointed.
I get that your time is money but you have a few options here.

Tweek it like duncan suggested (a few minutes of your time)

Send it to Sean @ Castline for a replacement (pay shipping to send it)

Return it back to the store for a refund (a few minutes of your time)

Or like Liv said take a hammer to it and put it in a dio (a few minutes of your time and a whole lot of fun. :lol:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not much if any truth to that statement. M2's quality is no worse than any of the other toy companies. All diecast companies at times have QC problems. The only way to combat it is to either have a representative in attendance when the stuff is built and packaged, or to pay an incentive for quality control. Both are very expensive. One of the firms I represent, uses a third party QC company. They pay someone to be present at the time the order is packaged and they pull a random sample that is already boxed out of the order before it is loaded on the container. They do this all during the container packaging. If at any time they find something wrong, they reject the shipment. This helps with the QC issue, but as I mentioned, its very expensive. The other way to combat it, is to pay a bit more for quality, but that translates in to us paying more at our favorite retail or OLD outlet.
One must remember too, these are not highly sought after collectibles. They are a childs toy. They are made as children's toys, and do not require the same standards as a collectible, therefore do not command collectible prices. You would not expect damage and QC issues in a $50 collectible, but it happens often in $2.99 to $7.99 toys. I have also seen it happen with the $50 collectible as well. Toys and Collectibles are not held to the same standards. I have diecast models and toys from probably every company out there. I can tell you for certain, M2 is no worse than others, and actually better than many. I see problems with all of them, including the companies that I represent.
I was in Wal Mart not too long ago, and watched the employee that was stocking shelves stand on a box of diecast, crushing the box corner. This cracked or broke many of the clear plastic display boxes. Many times, the load shifts in the container, rough seas, bad loading or unloading at the port, bad handling at the terminal, rough transit to the store, and bad stocking habits by the retail employees add to the damage. Some of the damage can not be helped, it is the cost of doing business in a country 10,000 miles away.
Seldom if ever at all, does posting mis-information on an internet forum do anything for a company's QC issues. I have found over the years, that a polite and well written communication to the company speaks volumes over a poorly written internet post that serves only to boost ones ego. I have found that a quick email to Sean at M2, or Russel at Greenlight, or Maurice at MotorMax or any of the other folks I am in communition with, is all it takes to at least let them know that you found a problem. I have also spoken with many of our industry leaders and found them all to be quite receptive to ideas, especially when it comes to better packaging and ideas to help reduce damage. I have also found that none of them want the QC issues, none of the QC issues are done deliberately and all of them want to make their products defect free. Funny thing, not one time did any diecast manufacturer tell me that they didnt care about QC, they dont spend money on it, or they want disgruntled people to post untruths on the internet. They all feel the same way we do, they just go about it differently. I guess thats what makes us all unique. Rich

M2 has probably the worst QC in the diecast market.

Go to any Walmart right now and see - 50% defects and a trash heap.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts

Welcome back from the Land of the Banned.
Attitudes like yours never serve the collector community in any positive way.
You and others like you seem to come here to take out your personal aggressions, personal problems at home, problems with the wife, your job, or your Father was mean to you when the subject of diecast came up.

We all have problems, your not the only one. You're not alone.
But when you take it out on us, Sean, or M2, in a non-constructive way, it doesn't do anybody any good.
We all know you hate M2, you've said it many times, and you never attempt to offer any constructive remedys. How many more times do we have to hear it?

Rattlehead brings up the subject, but in a very respectful manor which leaves much more potential for a constructive, and possibley even helpfull conversation for us and maybe even M2.

So far, both posts you've made since you've come back from Banned Land have been negative posts against M2.
Which led me to look back at your history here and all 37 of your past posts.
About half of your posts here are picking apart M2 products in a very unincitefull manor...and berating the people who enjoy M2s. The other half of your posts are blindly defending Greenlight no matter what, and then you still manage to berate the good people on that board. More respect for others will gain you self respect.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That's a blatant lie. I have probably see 30-40 M2s in the last few years in various stages of assembly inside the box. That is probably in the 1-2% bracket. I hunt a LOT. I have seen bumpers and hoods off too. One of the chases I found(a goose 57 Chevy) the entire motor was rolling around in the clamshell. A well written post commented that all diecast, especially in this price range are known for having little "slips" in QC. I would agree, BUT I would have to say I have seen it more with M2 than the other 3 popular brands in this price range. My alliances over the years have been elsewhere. I am trying to be fair, and not negative. In my opinion these issues happen more on the M2 side of the fence. It is likely the way the cars are put together with screws, not rivets, and the buttload of little tiny parts found on an M2. Most of the time all of these little parts make for a nice level of detail but on some models I think less would be more. Some of the front ends/headlight areas look "jumbled" like there is a little too much going on.

I realize that sean and M2 have been very proactive with their collectors over the years and that reputation is a BIG plus for the brand.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts

That's a blatant lie. I have probably see 30-40 M2s in the last few years in various stages of assembly inside the box. That is probably in the 1-2% bracket. I hunt a LOT. I have seen bumpers and hoods off too. One of the chases I found(a goose 57 Chevy) the entire motor was rolling around in the clamshell. A well written post commented that all diecast, especially in this price range are known for having little "slips" in QC. I would agree, BUT I would have to say I have seen it more with M2 than the other 3 popular brands in this price range. My alliances over the years have been elsewhere. I am trying to be fair, and not negative. In my opinion these issues happen more on the M2 side of the fence. It is likely the way the cars are put together with screws, not rivets, and the buttload of little tiny parts found on an M2. Most of the time all of these little parts make for a nice level of detail but on some models I think less would be more. Some of the front ends/headlight areas look "jumbled" like there is a little too much going on.

I realize that sean and M2 have been very proactive with their collectors over the years and that reputation is a BIG plus for the brand.
WHAT ??? :eek:

You just made no sense in saying " That's a blatant lie " to what DCL69 wrote.... You just rattled off saying the QC of M2 suck..... I really wish you would make up your mind in what you mean....

You like M2s or you don't like M2s !!!!

·
Banned
565 Posts

You just made no sense in saying " That's a blatant lie " to what DCL69 wrote.... You just rattled off saying the QC of M2 suck..... I really wish you would make up your mind in what you mean....

I have to agree I am a little confused in what you wrote rattlehed, I have purchased quite a lot of M2's and honestly I have only really had an issue with the gaps in the doors which I have fixed myself.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts

And then there are the ones that go through all of that handling and traveling and still arrive safe and sound only to be destroyed after they have arrived. My local Walmart just got a couple of boxes of the Auto-Thentics in a couple of weeks ago. All of them were in fine shape when they arrived. When I checked the store this last weekend to see if there were any more - there weren't - but of the ones still there - at least two had come apart since then, obviously due to rough handling by the customers, and another box had obviously been opened and that car was also now apart. When, out of curiosity, I checked closer it was clear someone had opened the box to switch a tire (yes - ONE tire). The car tires were redlines but now the rear tire on the back side was a blackwall - the switch was obviously made on the back rear tire so it wouldn't be noticeable from the front (I guess it was nice they at least supplied a substitute tire), but after all that, they still couldn't get the box back together again.

Makes you wonder how any diecast cars ever make it to - and stay on the - market in one piece.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

The other bloke stated that 50% of M2s are garbage. That is a lie. If you read my entire post again you would see that I DO think M2 has work to do in terms of QC but I do not agree with the person who said 50%. My statement was that M2, due to it's construction has more problems than I am used to seeing on the other brands. The fact is, I am not 100% sold. You saw where I said I was trying to be fair, and not negative. It's called criticism, not out and out slander. I said I have seen 30-40 messed up cars over the years. Do you have ANY idea how many I have held in my hand? hundreds and hundreds, like I said, maybe 1% are messed up. I, unlike DCL am trying to form my own opinion of the brand. My intent was not to bash M2 but to communicate my concerns as a potential new M2 collector about what I see and my reluctance to go in with both feet. Right now I'm just dipping a toe, the water feels kinda cold. Why is everybody so frickin jumpy on these boards lately, geez.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts