Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hank, I've been on this board since 2002, I am a figure modeler. I originally joined the Polar Lights board. They had MOSTLY figure models. I build monster models, Now all us figure models are thrown in the blender with everything else. The Dino guys have a Board, Sci Fi Vehicles have their place, why not Monster Model builders? :wave:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Mitchell, it seems to me that this is mainly a figure kit board. Cars have their own section as well as scifi and military. It's just that we tend to gather here more than anywhere else so this is also where all the conversing and general modelling discussions take place. Personally I love it exactly the way it is. If nothing else, I think an off topic board would be the most requested but I also think it would maybe take away somewhat from the modeling forum.
I'd prefer to leave it as it is.....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
What I like about having this forum as a "melting pot" for diverse modeling, is that many modelers who are not at all into figure building may gain an appreciation for the craft by perusing the threads of the figure builders and thereby decide to 'take the plunge' themselves.

The main problem with splintering off in so many separate forums is that if think that you are not really interested in that particular subject, you may never even go there to form an impression.

I would leave it as it is.

My two cents.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I think he's just angry with me for posting my Star Trek builds.

Besides, when this WAS the PL boards, we all posted our PL Star Trek kits, PL cars and PL "distortion" models.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
This is the modeling forum,so any model is game. When I look to see figure models, here is the place. Some only hang out here and share whatever they build, just here. I hate to see another forum specialized into another one. For me, I would be happy with just one model forum, because I like to see all kinds.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not angry, BUT I'm not a SCI FI model builder. There not a REAL place here for Monster Models, but there is for everything else (even 'girlie kits') The Modeling board WAS here even when the Polar Lights board was here, now it been pushed over to here. Maybe the Polar Lights board will come back.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After having a conversation with Dr. Phil, I realize why I dislike Car and Space Ship models so much. My older brother built car and Sci Fi models, while I built Monster models. We shared a room, and my monsters glowed on the shelf next to his bed. We got into an argument, and he smashed all of my monster models. Did I smash his? No. he was bigger. So I still have issues with car and Sci Fi Vehicle modelers. I did build the Batmobile (he burned that too).

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I visit a lot of different sites and sometimes they add a new forum. What happens is that half of the people dont move over to the new page so now you get the same models in TWO locations. Hyperscale did this... for ages they had Plane Talking which is their aircraft modelling board. Well its 90% world war 2 stuff, so the jet heads bitched and moaned until they got a Jet Age forum. Well guess what... most people still discuss jet kits on Plane Talking and the Jet Age forum is pretty stagnant.

I prefer fewer forums myself. Its easier to just not look at posts I might not be interested in rather than have to check out 9 different forums. Case in point would be something like the Jupiter 2... it might have threads going in the Moebius group, Spaceships, and Model Lighting.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
My two cents.
I like the board the way it is as well. I will admit that I was happy to see the Car model section splinter off. It still stays active.
As was mentioned I come in here to see what everyone else is up to. I have gained quite a positive impression of the figure and sci-fi builders. The work is fascinating and really is art.
Have I taken the plunge? No, but I still can appreciate a well built and crafted kit.
I say leave the forums as is.
Chris

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Mitchellmania said:
So I still have issues with car and Sci Fi Vehicle modelers.
Your issue ISN'T with us...it's with your brother. Whatever he did obviously upset you enough that it's become part of your emotional baggage. Isn't it time to open that up, examine the contents, and throw that out?

I can understand that bad things can happen. From experiance, when I was a kid, I took my Star Trek models to school and played with them at recess.

One day, two bullies decided to trip me, beat me up and they smashed my Enterprise model. Big joke for them.

Did that prevent me from building any more models? NO! I took the broken kit home, glued it back together and was able to play with it again. As I grew up from that day on, I still built models, went on to win awards at school and later at contests. I also met George Barris, opened a hobby shop, and more. I might even be able to advertise in Famous Monster Magazine someday.

As for those bullies, they were just lashing out because they had alcoholic parents, I later discovered. They ended up continuing their father's legacies, and didn't really succeed much in life. I know that they have a lot of problems that they have to deal with. Hopefully, they will one day get the help they need, but who knows?

Gettign back to this BB, I personally didn't destroy your models, as did no one else on this fourm. I think we're all innocent of that crime. Therefore, please stop treating us like you would your brother.

However, whatever arguement you and your brother had in the past is really your own personal problem and it's unfair of you to bring it into this fourm and isolate the rest of us who enjoy building all types of models, sharing them, and making friends with fellow model builders.

I suggest that maybe you try and resolve the issue, either with your brother or with a trained professional. If you really hate the fact that your brother bullied you, then why do you want to emulate him by bulling us? I would think, now that you're an adult, that you'd rise above it.

As for this fourm, there are two ways to help solve your problem. First off, if you can't come to grips with Car and Sci-Fi models and their threads, then don't open them or read them. Looking over the threads posted on the 100+ pages, I would say that 75% of this board still is devoted to Monster figures, Sci-Fi figures and Dinosaurs. That should hopefully be enough material to keep you interested until someone posts something new. Also, most of those modelers might also build model cars and Sci-Fi vehicles as well. Try to see what you can learn from their example.

Secondly, instead of being part of the problem by "Squaking" about what you don't like about people's threads/posts and making them angry with you, why don't you become part of the solution by building the models you love and then posting "Walk-throughs" and showing us how to build them. Contribute and be constructive instead of destructive.

The reason why this board is so varried is that not only are we sharing our builds, but we are also sharing techniques. For example, if someone in a Sci-Fi vehicle thread gave a wiring schematic on putting in lights in a ship, then maybe if you want to put a light in your monster model display, you might "borrow" that lighting schematic. That's the benifit of all of the varied posts.

From here on in, why not examine yourself and look for the good of this BB as a whole and figure out how you can improve this place by your models and your work.

Continue to ask yourself, "What can I contribute?"

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also, too, I always thought Sci Fi vehicles where 'toys' you played with, and modelers just built and displayed Monster models.:wave:
I'm sorry you took what I said so personally, MR, but, There IS a SCI FI VEHICLE place here, you are the only person here who posts Sci Fi vehicles. Would I post a Revell Monster on the Moebius board, no it would get moved. That's it.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Your issue ISN'T with us...it's with your brother. Whatever he did obviously upset you enough that it's become part of your emotional baggage. Isn't it time to open that up, examine the contents, and throw that out?
From Mitchellmania's post, I got the distinct impression that he didn't mean to be taken quite so seriously or literally. And that he certainly didn't mean to open, well . . .

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dolls 'bend' , Monster Models don't. Do you guys make warp and phaser noises when you play with your Enterprises lol! ? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Well, maybe I'll just leave then. I can see that my couple of Star Trek posts are REALLY affecting you so deeply, right down to your core. I don't want to be responsible for bringing up any of your "Bad Memories".

My appoligies to Hank. I am probably the worst Hobby Talk person on the boards. I talk about my store from time to time, I build models and put them in the "wrong" threads, and I also don't post my "How to build model" video's in the movies thread.

Thanx for the 5 years of Hobby Talk, but I guess I have to go.

By to all my friends!

Madcap Romanian

Trevor

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, maybe I'll just leave then. I can see that my couple of Star Trek posts are REALLY affecting you so deeply, right down to your core. I don't want to be responsible for bringing up any of your "Bad Memories".

My appoligies to Hank. I am probably the worst Hobby Talk person on the boards. I talk about my store from time to time, I build models and put them in the "wrong" threads, and I also don't post my "How to build model" video's in the movies thread.

Thanx for the 5 years of Hobby Talk, but I guess I have to go.

By to all my friends!

Madcap Romanian

Trevor
AWWWWW c'mon! come back just teasin is all don't take it so personal.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
It just gets tiring every time I post something to get negative feedback.

I'm not doing that to other people, and now this thread isolates me even more. What good is it to continue here?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll play nice. Your build ups are fine. It's just way back on the Polar Lights board, Star Trek builders overwhelmed the boards. It seems like figure modelers are just fading away....*

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wasn’t going to say anything but would like to offer up a few things:

First, this is great bb to belong to. The “melting pot” atmosphere is great and offers up a limitless amount of opportunities for learning & sharing. This is what drew me to it in the first place & the main reason that I feel comfortable sharing my novice attempts at building models.

Secondly, I hold great respect & admiration for all of you and for the work that each of you do. All families have disagreements from time to time, but I think that our love of building models, regardless of what the subject is, will overcome in the end.

Lastly, I will come to the defense of MCR. I consider him a mentor & friend and feel that his contributions to this forum speak for themselves. His passion for building all types of kits has no bounds and I feel that he isn’t being given the credit he deserves.

Trevor,

Keep right on posting those kits, wips, & videos. They are very inspirational not only to me but to a number of other new/returning modelers like me. For what’s it may be worth, please know that you’ve definitely made a difference for this modeler.

A.U.

P.S. And Mitch, you & a lot of others here have also made a difference in my modeling endeavors too. Let’s keep it the way it is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts