Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're sorry that releasing all the details of the handout motor program is taking longer than we expected. There are still a few things to be worked out but we can provide a little more information on the handout motor program for the 2012 -2013 John's BSR Tires Brushless Racing League Oval Series.

We will use one motor manufacturer for the 17.5 Sportsman class and one for the 13.5 Stock Spec class. The motors in each class will be very similar or identical to those already being used by some racers. We wanted to avoid using a unique or uncommon motor. By selecting motors which you can purchase at your local hobby shop, racers will have an opportunity to test and tune and get close on roll out ahead of BRL events.

The BRL is purchasing the motors from the manufacturers and we will sort them for several characteristics to reduce the normal production variance. For instance, our target is to have a population of handout motors with half or less than the normal variation in resistance for that brand and wind. We've been collecting resistance data for 3 years and feel confident that with the manufacturer's help we can cut the gap from the best to the worst at least in half. Our goal is to narrow any real or perceived power gap.

Resistance data and rotor data will be recorded for each motor in the handout program. If a racer has a complaint that his motor is a dog, we'll be able to tell if anything has changed. Motors will be sealed and serial numbered. The motors selected for the program have adjustable timing and racers will be able to adjust timing and obviously try different roll outs to try to get the most out of the motor
and their setup.

Racers in the classes with handout motors will be charged a $10 rental fee in addition to their normal entry fee. Racers will get their handout motor when they pay their entry fee. If a racer burns up a motor, they will be charged a fee for a replacement just as if they had to replace a motor of their own which they burnt up. The amount of that fee is one detail still being finalized. However, it will be less than the normal market price for the component which needs to be replaced. If a racer burns up a motor and decides he doesn't want to pay for a replacement, he obviously won't be able to race in the handout motor class and his entry fee will not be refunded.

We hope this helps a little with anyone's anxiety over not knowing what the handout program will entail. We're working hard with the manufacturers in question to get everything finalized.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am pleased to announce the manufacturer details on the handout motors to be used this season.

- The Novak 17.5 Sportsman Truck Class will use Novak Ballistic motors with red wire stators and the standard Novak rotor.

- The Thunder Power 13.5 Stock Spec Class will use Thunder Power Z3R motors with their standard red rotor.

Both of these motors are familiar to BRL racers so I would expect racers to have very little trouble adapting to their use. The BRL appreciates the continued support of these manufacturers and their assistance in implementing our handout motor program.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I am pleased to announce the manufacturer details on the handout motors to be used this season.

- The Novak 17.5 Sportsman Truck Class will use Novak Ballistic motors with red wire stators and the standard Novak rotor.

- The Thunder Power 13.5 Stock Spec Class will use Thunder Power Z3R motors with their standard red rotor.

Both of these motors are familiar to BRL racers so I would expect racers to have very little trouble adapting to their use. The BRL appreciates the continued support of these manufacturers and their assistance in implementing our handout motor program.
I wish the 17.5 was a thunder Power motor. Have to put my Novak back in my car.
Later,
John

·
Delicious Vinyl Graphics
4,284 Posts
I wish the 17.5 was a thunder Power motor. Have to put my Novak back in my car.
Later,
John
:rolleyes:

To the Chucks: good job on the handout motor. I know it will be a ton of work for you guys, but commend the efforts, particularly for the truck class. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
673 Posts

:thumbsup::thumbsup: "THANK YOU" Chuck & Chuck :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

- The Novak 17.5 Sportsman Truck Class will use Novak Ballistic motors with red wire stators and the standard Novak rotor..
I was looking to buy a Novak to do some testing but got confused by the options. Does anyone know if it is the 3617, 3617R or the 3627 we will be using?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are 3 ways to get a motor that is equivalent to what the handout motor will be.

- Buy a NOV3617 plus a premium Red Wire Stator (PN NOVS6617R)
- Buy a NOV3617R premium motor with red wire stator plus non-vented endbells (PN NOV5940 front & NOV5944 rear).
- Use Novak's Build a Ballistic program to build a motor with non-vented endbells and a red wire stator.

If it were me, I'd just buy the NOV3617R premium spec motor and run it with the vented endbells. The difference between that and the non-vented end bell versions we'll be using as handouts should be minimal.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
There are 3 ways to get a motor that is equivalent to what the handout motor will be.

- Buy a NOV3617R premium motor with red wire stator plus non-vented endbells (PN NOV5940 front & NOV5944 rear).
- Use Novak's Build a Ballistic program to build a motor with non-vented endbells and a red wire stator.

If it were me, I'd just buy the NOV3617R premium spec motor and run it with the vented endbells. The difference between that and the non-vented end bell versions we'll be using as handouts should be minimal.
Thanks for the info chuck. Have to get one in the mail to me so I can get a handle on my roll out.

John

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Thanks for the info Chuck. Great work on the motor program!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Thunder Power handout motors:
Ran mine @ 25°, rolled out at 4.04, with a Novak Oval Spec last night @ Fastlane. Motor only temped around 135°. Track is roughly 80 x 36, so I'll probably need to go down a couple teeth for St. Louis, but its a starting point. Your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ran mine @ 25°, rolled out at 4.04, with a Novak Oval Spec last night @ Fastlane. Motor only temped around 135°. Track is roughly 80 x 36, so I'll probably need to go down a couple teeth for St. Louis, but its a starting point. Your mileage may vary.
Before anyone misinterprets this post, young Mr. Kleinhagen ran a TP motor with a red rotor and similar spec's to those we will use as a handout motor. When he races the spec class he'll draw for a motor the same as anyone else (and probably draw last). He didn't run "his" handout motor last night.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Thanks for the info Chuck, I have never run a TP before. I think this program will be great for our class :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts