Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dirt oval terminator I run on short track,foams,26/81 gearing and green machine,20 degree kick up and 2.25 tranny I think. I need help getting it to handle greatly I can't even make it through on race without causing a great big wreck so I need help from anyone out there :confused: thanks Tom.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have TC3 shocks, greens, don't know camber or caster,30 and 40 weight oil,#2 pistons don't know stagger or run line silver and gold springs rollthat is all I can think of without the car in front of me I will post more info later when I have the car right here so try to work with this for now thanks for the help Tom.

·
Registered
657 Posts
o.k. first make sure nothing is binding up. like the arms, blocks, pins etc. next your set-up sounds a little too hard. i never have seen a set of gold springs on a d.o. car. i think they are just way too hard. run about .5-1 - camber on the rt. front, and rear. run positive +1 to +2 on the left front, and +1 on the left rear. try running 30- 40 in the front shocks with a green spring, or what ever u can find close. next run a silver or blue rear spring with 40- 60 wt. oil. also run # 2 pistons all the way around. also make sure u have no brake in ur speedo. all it will do is make u spin out. hope this helps u some. :hat:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Tom-
Try asking John at Competition, he'll be able to get you on the right track. What are you and the old man running at Glens Falls this winter?

·
Registered
651 Posts
you said your using TC3 shocks...are you useing TC3 springs as well?

check out the spring rates on ..www.rc10.com

TC3 green springs are 12 lbs...buggy fronts.macro shock green springs are only 3.5 lbs....HUGHE difference...if most guys are useing the buggy shocks and spring I garentee that is a good source of your problems.

TC's run on pavement, (mostly) and have very limited suspetion travel...and thus use stiffer springs as a rule of thumb.

tho you oil is right, if your useing close to 4 x the needed spring rate you might as well replace the shocks with turnbuckles.

sorry if I sound arrogant...but I get enraged at how often I ask, or hear someone else ask what is a good spring to use for either a macro,or touring car shock spring as a starting point on a particular track...and they are told.."oh A/E green, or solver at the most"
ok which one?...then they go blank...A/E makes 3 different rate green springs...TC3 , buggy front /macro , and truck and buggy rear.

Yes that last is useable too, you just have to cut them down...a trick I stoll from massami before he final convinced A/E to make blue front buggy springs...we used to cut down the truck /buggy rears.

To do this marl the spring at the proper length..then cut it about a wrap longer...calmp a set of needle nose vice grip pliers where you marked the length..and then use pliers to reform the flat circle end for the sprint to seat on...best to mount the cut / modified end on the spring cup end of the shock so if you dont get it perfect it dosent bind.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me and my dad are trying to run pan car he has a L3 and I have a couple chassis I am working on like a hyperdrive,PTI and a old RC10L.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Tom-
The last summer race at GF is Aug.15th. Then the regular schedule will start in the middle of Sept.

·
Registered
651 Posts
RCer12A said:
Me and my dad are trying to run pan car he has a L3 and I have a couple chassis I am working on like a hyperdrive,PTI and a old RC10L.
In the on raoad swap section I have some real nice gpm caster blocks for that 10L NIP, never wear out like the plastic

·
Registered
767 Posts
Rcer12A my setup from the short track last year worked real well.

Greens all the way around the car, Pinks if needed. I use losi short shocks, on the front I have a green spring on the left, Silver on the right, black pistons, 35 wt oil in both fronts. The back I use two blue losi springs, red pistons, and 45 wt oil.
I ran a 27/84 with a Monster and a 29/84 with a Green machine with a 2.40 tranny.(48 pitch)

That got me 6 wins, and the points championship in Sportsman Mod

Hope that helps.

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
Al, you forgot to give us the "slop" measurements that are very apparent :p In that hotrod.

RCer12A Get yourself some pinks or better yet "25's" from Putnam, groove them, get your car very "square" (not alot of spring on any one corner), then have one of the fast guys eyeball your car. Tires are so important!!! One more thing, get the marine grease for your tires too.

Later, Bret

·
Registered
657 Posts
excuse me for not clarifying my shocks. they were touring shocks. i never seen a truck shock, or any other big shocks on a terminater. i thought it was a given. sorry if it was thought that i was using truck shocks on my dirt oval car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
handling problems

This is very simple before making a ton of adjustments and buying 15 sets OF TIRES (thogh tiires and compound make a world of difference-- keep your tires clean and use the compound your track allows-- i reccomend--the pink and black can of paragon-probably not legal or stickumz also probably not legal- keep it hidden j.k ) try imagining that the track you are running on is shaped like a football! I know this sounds crazy but when you lett off and roll the corners while slowly easing back into the throttle makes all the difference in making it through the turn or not. Find a place on the drivers stand that is comfortable to you and stick with it instead of runninng 1 heat on the left side of the stand and the next heat on the right side then the middle and so on. This addvice dosent cost a thing hope it helps you out!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts