Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for this season but maybe next, what do you think about a hand out tire? Limited number of sets for the week end, cut them to what ever you want but no extras.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Why not work it slightly differnet. Allow the racer to bring 8 or 10 tires to tech, mark them and only allow those tires to be run the entire event. Doesn't change entry fee, or forces guys to run a specific brand or compound tire.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
not sure what a normal entry fee is anymore but if you were an average racer and say a 60 dollar entry...your probably going to buy two sets to bring along....so even at 30 dollars a set...the nominal entry would be 120....so yeah i'd pay 90.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
not sure what a normal entry fee is anymore but if you were an average racer and say a 60 dollar entry...your probably going to buy two sets to bring along....so even at 30 dollars a set...the nominal entry would be 120....so yeah i'd pay 90.
$90 would be cheep... I used 3 sets of the yellow strip specs at the birds. Right front did not last long. I know... I must have needed to work on my set up. I always buy two or sets of tires for a big race.

All tires will have their plus and minus issues. It would be nice to have a box full of the same tire to work with.

Ok, lets hear what is wrong with that...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Why not work it slightly differnet. Allow the racer to bring 8 or 10 tires to tech, mark them and only allow those tires to be run the entire event. Doesn't change entry fee, or forces guys to run a specific brand or compound tire.
I like this idea. In the truck class I'd like to see it tightened to using one set to race on for the weekend. Would definitely cut down on the cost and keep some racers thinking they have to put on fresh cut 2.05 tires each race.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I think handouts are a bad idea if people want to cut.there tires that small so be it if you can afford 3 sets of.tires for a weekend.don't.cut.em so small problem solved.......

LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE AND LETS RACR

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I agree with you caalvord. Why buy hand out tires when you can just buy the ones you want, if ya cant aford to cut em then dont.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tires

I think most people buy at least two sets of tires per race (some WAY more then that, me included) so there really is no added expense. Plus you wouldn't have to have all the other flavors in your tire hauler (cheaper). No different than NASCAR they all run on the same limited number of sets purchased at the track. Biggest question do we want to put more work on the Chucks?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Just a thought on tires and cost to race...

Hand out-tires are a tech nightmare.

To win at all cost.
One thing you will never stop, is the amount of money that a person will spend to win. Given only 2 or 3 sets of tires for an event; one could get tires for practice somewhere else... get a racer to get all they are allowed and get the ones they do not use...I have seen racers at big events spend funds on batteries, motors, tires and ect. and then sleep in their cars and barrow money to eat.

Manufacture Reputation
If it is a concern that one manufacture may cheat. They would have a lot to lose. Looks like that a one manufacture deal is the only way to go but, a manufacture can not always keep a tire compound to the exact shore number. Racers have faced material change sending racers looking for date codes and the latest item. I have seen sponsored racers send wheels off to have a different compound foam mounted that no one could get. I guess the sam can happen with a spec tire.

What is the answer
In the end a spec tire rule may only help the local racer, the hobbiest, and Joe racer who just likes to attend big events. But, I still think it is a good way to help get more stability, keep the existing racers and help control some cost for existing and new racers
There is no perfect answer... only the lesser of the evils...No matter what is used a racer will adapt and race. I know I will.

Just my opinion
I could be wrong

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Too many ways to get around a handout tire at a big event. Racing has always been the haves vs the have not's. "Racing cost money....how fast you wanna go?"

·
Registered
331 Posts
I vote 4 hand out motors in the spec classes and after the races turn the motor back in. I would spend an extra $5 or $10 per race. that will save money. you dont need to buy the motor of the month

1 - 19 of 19 Posts