Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a kit I've been fiddling with for awhile trying to get a finish I'd be satisfied with. It's been stripped about 5 times, and has been every color from olive drab to gloss black. I'm pretty happy with this test on the face and crest, it's Gunze Sangyo "Metallic Blue Green" over Krylon Ultra-Black. Won't be able to tell how it will look till it's glossed up, but I think I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
This is a great kit--but make sure you find some way to support it internally; mine has slumped down depressingly over the years...

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
I'd love to find one of these to go with Forbidden Zone's powerloader kit that hasn't come out yet.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John P said:
I'd love to find one of these to go with Forbidden Zone's powerloader kit that hasn't come out yet.

Me too, the Halcyon power loader isn't near as nice or accurate as the queen.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It is looking good. Any ideas for the dripping acid from the mouth?

Metallics are hard to show up in photos. I was thinking of a dark blue/black metallic for my queen when I do mine. The problem I see with the power loader is the Ripley figure.

Alex
Styrofoam Guy

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John P said:
I'm not talking about the Halcyon power loader, I'm talking about the big 1/8 scale resin powerloader that Forbidden Zone is working on:
www.forbidden-zone.org
with an excellent new Ripley figure sculpted by the same guy who did the "Lucky Star" Ripley figure:
http://www.inpayne.com/models/ripley1.html
They had some big pics of it at Wonderfest last year, the Ripley figure looked exceptional. I agree the problem with the Halcyon powerloader is the Ripley figure, it's not as bad as the "mini-me" Luke Skywalker in the snowspeeder kit, but it's close.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Styrofoam_Guy said:
It is looking good. Any ideas for the dripping acid from the mouth?

Metallics are hard to show up in photos. I was thinking of a dark blue/black metallic for my queen when I do mine. The problem I see with the power loader is the Ripley figure.

Alex
Styrofoam Guy
If you have the Alien Quadrilogy boxsets, there's some great footage of the fullscale Queen puppet's paint job (in bright and natural light) in the "Beauty and the Bitch" video section of the Aliens supplement disc. There's a few useful shots of both sized queens in the "Continuity Polaroids" section as well.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here she is after several more hours of careful (and tedious) drybrushing. I'm planning on applying a gloss coat, drybrushing her with a light tan, another gloss coat, and more drybrushing with silver.

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far. One practical tip for anybody doing one of these, paint the body BEFORE you attach the head, back spikes, and especially the arms. They REALLY get in the way if you do it like I did.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots more drybrushing, sponge work, and some gloss. She's starting to look like something now.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lloyd Collins said:
She's looking uglier, and scarier, so you must be doing it right.
I'm trying to get it right, for my painting guide I'm using the supplements on the Aliens DVD and some photos of the queen from The Winston Effect (Great book BTW, for anybody building figures from Aliens, Predator, The Terminator movies, Jurasasic Park Dinos,etc etc.)

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
That is the biggest help, having books, magazines, and DVDs, for research.
When I was going to do the Valley Forge, I finally bought the DVD. Also, you can not capture it perfect, so with your skill too, it will be like her, but also yours.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little update picture, she's looking pretty good, I got the glossy highlighted affect by applying Future with a detail brush to the raised smooth areas and Dullcoat to the recessed rough areas.

I got a little chuckle when I realized I had the Aliens Queen and the African Queen on the bench! My movie geekness knows no bounds.

The African Queen was a wooden sailboat my Dad gave me years ago, after the boys destroyed the mast and sails I realized the hull was close enough to convert to an African Queen. The boiler is made from a fuel tank from the ol' 1/32 Apollo CSM, everything else was made from pieces of the mast & rigging.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts