Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I think it is high time we did another group build. Summer is fast approaching, surely everybody can get one done by, say, Labor Day. Then you competitive modelers can count on having at least one entry ready for the fall contest season.

First, let's have some nominations. Surely we can find a kit that everybody already has in his or her stash, or that they can acquire quickly. Post a nomination - only if you're genuinely interested in participating - styrene kits only (I love Garage Kits, too, but they would likely be too pricey or hard to get). Then we can pick one from the most numerous nominations.

I'll start with: Flash Gordon (the Atlantis reissue, or a Revell original).

Who else is up for this?

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
I'd say I'm in, but the last two times I got in on this... or I should say TRIED to get in on it... things went to Hades in a handcart for me... ah hell, I'd be in for the Flash Gordon build! Third time's the charm!

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, four participants beats three, I guess.

But here's another idea: a member of the IPMS forums was carping about how there were no group builds going on over there. What's to stop us from inviting them, the Clubhouse, and maybe the FineScale Modeler forums to joining the Community Build? Just because a cross-forum group build has never been done before shouldn't stop us, and it might be a good shot in the arm for the figure modeling community.

Suppose we start the Great Flash Gordon Community Build on June 1, with a finish of October 1. That's four months to build one model. I'm afraid that if we lengthen the deadline too much, people will lose interest and drop out. Plus that puts us a month ahead of the Halloween season, when modelers like us can really get distracted. :freak:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I don't usually do figures but what the hell, it will be a learning experience.

I'm in.

I've been involved in a few GB's over at FineScale modeler. If I could make one suggesti, 4 months is very short for a group build.
I would recommend 6 months.

In any event,

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

Edit:

Kit ordered from Cult

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'd like to see if a crossover would work - be a good experiment anyway and the Flash Gordon is a popular figure. 4 months should make it possible to finish even if you have a glitch thrown in.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Well, four participants beats three, I guess.

But here's another idea: a member of the IPMS forums was carping about how there were no group builds going on over there. What's to stop us from inviting them, the Clubhouse, and maybe the FineScale Modeler forums to joining the Community Build? Just because a cross-forum group build has never been done before shouldn't stop us, and it might be a good shot in the arm for the figure modeling community.

Suppose we start the Great Flash Gordon Community Build on June 1, with a finish of October 1. That's four months to build one model. I'm afraid that if we lengthen the deadline too much, people will lose interest and drop out. Plus that puts us a month ahead of the Halloween season, when modelers like us can really get distracted. :freak:

What do you guys think?
I think that's one of the best ideas in the history of great ideas! Allons-y!!!

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, alrighty then. I'll send out the invites and we'll see if anybody bites. Right now it seems to me that each forum could have its own thread for the Community Build. That will be a little inconvenient for non-members, I admit. But it will also contribute to the, let us say, cross-fertilization.

But let's go ahead, even if it's going to be just us HobbyTalkers. Ladies and gentlemen, start your Dremels - you have until midnight on the evening of October 1, 2016 to build your models. I hereby declare that the Great Flash Gordon Community Build IS ON!

·
Registered
462 Posts
If I can pull off building my Flash Gordon kit while buried up to my neck in my current Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde scratch build diorama, I will tag along on this group build!

Rob

·
Registered
287 Posts
I hereby declare that the Great Flash Gordon Community Build IS ON!
Wasn't gonna start without me were you Mark? :surprise:

Sounds like fun, count me in to. Flash ordered today and should be in by the end of the week. Plan to start the build soon as I return from the 'Fest.

Better recharge the atomic batteries in my trusty T5000 model Dremel......

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I haven't been around for a while but someone on FB mentioned this build a few days ago. I've always enjoyed these and just happened to have purchased this kit 3 weeks ago as well as the Thunderboy base from Cult at Wonderfest. So if I am allowed I'd like to jump in too. I actually started gluing parts today either way as it is an appealing kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts