Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start my AMT 18" USS Enterprise. And I want to do this one built to the max. I have the lights for the engines, bought LED lights for the dome, neck and body (still waiting for them to come in the mail). And my question is this??????????? :confused: I want to put the grid lines on the dome! I see on Round 2 website they do this. Now looking at CultTVMan's website I see he has the Grid decals 18" Starship from Acreation Models. Has anyone use these for there amt Enterprise kit and if so how did you use them? Do you paint the dome first or paint after the decals? I assume they go on after you paint it. Just asking advice on how to do this kit so it looks awsome! :thumbsup:

Happy Aurora Trails!
Chinxy! :dude:

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Awww... save your money and just pencil them in. Draw the lines on after you apply the basecoat (should be a flat finish). Stick the needle end of the compass in the hole in the center of the saucer where the sensor dome fits and draw concentric rings from the center outward. Then use a protractor to determine the spacing of the radial lines and make tick marks on the rim of the saucer. Take a mechanical drawing pencil and a flexible straight edge and draw the radial lines checking to be sure they line up with your registration marks on the rim. Then apply another light coat of the hull color so you can just barely see the gridlines. Subtlety is the key. Lastly apply the ship name and registration decals.
Of course, if this approach doesn't appeal to you then try the gridline decal route by all means.

P.S. If you plan on doing the "rust ring" I recommend airbrushing the ring on after your first coat, then tone it down with more basecoat before drawing your gridlines. Here's how my 18 incher looked after I was done:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and your ship looks very good. I got the white LED's and waiting for the red, green and blue LED's. This is going to be a big project. Hope to get it done by Wonderfest! Now what about the neck and hall? Are there lines?

Chinxy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts