Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought about getting a 1970 Torino available in the M2 line that i don't see greenlight has available,Was wondering how good they are compared to the greenlights being it looks like there around the same price.

·
Registered
618 Posts
To me, M2's are sub-par to that of Greenlight.

First and most importantly, is the scale. I like the opening doors on the M2's, but the scale is too big.

I like the M2's don't get me wrong, I collect them; but not as much as the Greenlight.

I think they both need to slow down a bit, producing the same cars over and over again with a different paint job is burning me out.:wave:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I like them both. M2's advantage is the unique 50's cars they produce. Not the usual classic Chevy's (although they did a '57). I hope that they will make
cars from the 40's and 30's someday, but for now the 50's are looking good!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I like the M2's don't get me wrong, I collect them; but not as much as the Greenlight.

I think they both need to slow down a bit, producing the same cars over and over again with a different paint job is burning me out.:wave:
Tooling is expensive, they have to use it over again. I don't mind them putting the same car over and over again in different colours. They have released what, about 42 cars in 4 years. That's 10 a year, which is I think is pretty good for a small company.

I think Mattel has actually hurt the hobby by putting out so many new cars every year. In the same time period {2006-2009} there have been 156 new Hot Wheels. Then you get into colour variations, wheel variations, and all the other variations that come out{purposely or lack of quality control} as well as repaints. That comes on the heels of 160 new cars in 2004-2005. I don't know how anybody can collect mainline Hot Wheels over the past 10 years without burning themselves out.

I don't collect M2's but I also think their scale is a little too big. Greenlight does a good job and I hope they are around for a long time.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
M2 is doing better. At first, they were far below GLs, but this past year has been good for them.

I collect them (only because they make Cudas now), but still prefer GL for now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I collected M2's before G/Ls,,,,but I like G/L's constant scale. Some M2's appear to be undersize, ie 1949 Merc. It's much smaller than the 1951 Ford???????///. M2 has better "in scale" tires and wheel covers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I collect them both, but far more GLs. The scale thing kills me on M2s and quality is lacking (I get more that won't roll correctly than will, had a door break off just by opening it, seen them in stores with loose and missing parts, ETC). I love the fact that GL listened on the wheels (though that was never really a concern for me) and they just keep getting better. And heck anyone that is willing to make a nice and correctly scaled Fox body Mustang is awesome in my book :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I collect both brands, but I only collect GL religiously.
I really enjoy the M2 brand especially with the opening doors and amazing detail; under the hood, the interior, and all the little chrome trim and lights on the outside.
My biggest complaint is the absolute disregard for scale. Scale is important to me as a collector and it's kind of frustrating to put a Torino next to a Mustang and have the Mustang dwarf the Torino :drunk:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the scale size i found greenlight is a little off on some also,I have a 07 concept camaro that is huge next to my 71 camaro,I also noticed the 66 vette is a little smaller then the other vettes.But then i got a M2 66 charger next to a greenlight 67 coronet conv. & they are close in size,Guess it is all about how the casting is made.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I don't see what people are saying about M2's being too big.
They seem to be in line with Johnny Lightning, etc.
I allways found Greenlights to be too big for my taste. A little smaller than true 1/64th is what I prefer. Like the old Lesneys.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't see what people are saying about M2's being too big.
They seem to be in line with Johnny Lightning, etc.
I allways found Greenlights to be too big for my taste. A little smaller than true 1/64th is what I prefer. Like the old Lesneys.

haha M2's are bigger than Greenlight. i need to take some side by side pics for you. i might do that in a few min

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here are some pics. The M2 is the bright blue stang, the Greenlight is the olive color one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Outstanding job young Jedi, great pics.

Scale is where it's at in my book.

I agree with another post as well, more often than not; the wheels don't roll on the M2.

They are still nice, no doubt about it; and I'll still pick up the 5 or so models that I collect.

I'm glad they do the Fairlane, it's a great casting.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some are. (Haha???:confused:)
M2 '50s cars aren't oversized.
I was just laughing about how you could say Greenlights are to big for your taste when M2's (all but the 50's cars) are bigger than Greenlight's, but you like M2 size and say you like a little less than actual 1:64 scale when most M2 are bigger.

·
Registered
409 Posts
M2 are way out of scale, don't Roll, feel chinsy, feel cheap in your hand, they are a Nice looking in the blister but when you take them out the disapointment starts. The auto lifts were way disapointing, after buying a 5 pack of them which was priced at 9.99 good price, i opened measured and did the math and in 1/64th scale it is 9 yes 9 FEET to the bottom of the car on them NOW if i get Kareem or Manute (SP) Bol i can change the oil in my car. Measure a Real item do the math and design you know Math is easy, its actually taught in grade school but very few diecast companies can do MATH!!!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I was just laughing about how you could say Greenlights are to big for your taste when M2's (all but the 50's cars) are bigger than Greenlight's, but you like M2 size and say you like a little less than actual 1:64 scale when most M2 are bigger.
I only have M2 50's stuff. Never realized the muscle cars where so big.
Now I know.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
When it comes to accuracy and detail, I believe Greenlight has the market cornered. They were even featured in Hemmings Motor News. The few pieces I have are very nice and I admire them every now and then. I just can't afford to start collecting a new line. If I could, I would return most of my Hot Wheels and buy GLs with the money.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If I could, I would return most of my Hot Wheels and buy GLs with the money.

Thats what i did, I sold all my HW on ebay and at the local flea market so i could buy Greenlight. Now i hate HW's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts