Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GREENLIGHT AND VOLKSWAGEN SIGN DEAL, BEGIN DEVELOPING DAS AUTO REPLICAS

Indianapolis, IN (June 5, 2012) GreenLight Collectibles, already a market leader in the design, development and manufacturing of authentic die-cast replicas, is excited to announce a bold new license agreement with Volkswagen AG (Germany) that will allow GreenLight to bring to market a wide range of Volkswagen die-cast replicas in 2012 and beyond.

“Volkswagen is one of the most popular consumer brands in the world, and we at GreenLight are thrilled sign a new agreement to broaden our market presense with the VW brand,” said Russell Hughes, GreenLight President. “Partnering with VW on a large scale was in the long-term GreenLight business plan for several years, and with some recent strategic moves we’ve been able to make in China, the time was right to proceed with this new licensing partnership.”

GreenLight plans to develop new tooling in both 1:18 and 1:64 scale for the GreenLight Collectibles product lines, and will incorporate some recently acquired tooling into the 1:64 Motor World line. The two-tiered product line platform allows for collectors and toy consumers to select their level of detail and features, while also considering price-point. GreenLight also plans to integrate Volkswagen items into the recently launched MotoBuildz 3-D Model Kit line in early 2013 with VW Beetle and VW Bus kits.

“In recent years the landscape for model cars has shifted dramatically in both Asia with our supply chain and in the USA with consumer dollars tightening,” said Hughes. “We’ve noticed market trends that suggest we’ve been able to make waves with our police car and Hollywood product lines, which were quickly imitated by the competition. Naturally, we expect the competition to follow suit on our industry leading dynamics and product line success, so with VW we intend to move quickly and launch new tools and product lines in advance of seeing the market trends continue. Remaining fast paced is essential to success in the model car market in 2012. When the competition launches their new VW line, we intend to be several steps ahead with Hollywood licensed products and never before seen VW replicas.”

Beyond die-cast and model kit items, GreenLight intends to integrate Volkswagen vehicles into the upcoming Car Town product line – themed pull-back toys that parallel Facebook-based Car Town gameplay, leveraging the immensely popular Volkswagen brand. All these products will be designed and manufactured with GreenLight’s focus on authenticity and quality.

“Quite recently, we acquired some existing high-quality Volkswagen tooling in Asia, so we are able to hit the ground running this Fall with fresh VW items in advance of offering our new tools for Spring 2013,” added Hughes. “We have new tools on the drawing board, getting ready to start the development process at our factories. VW enthusiasts won’t have to wait long to add to their collections.”

GreenLight Collectibles is a premier manufacturer and marketer of authentic die-cast vehicle replicas and other automotive-related products. GreenLight replicas are produced under various themes in 1:18, 1:24, 1:43 and 1:64 scales and are officially licensed by the world’s premier automotive and entertainment companies, including General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Chrysler Group LLC, Warner Bros., Carroll Shelby Licensing, CBS, Universal Studios, Sony Pictures, MGM, IZOD IndyCar Series, NASCAR and many others.

Public Relations Contact: Tiffany Collins | GreenLight Collectibles | Marketing & EDI | 2605 East 55th Place | Indianapolis, IN 46220 USA | p. 1.317.287.0600 Ext. 108 | f. 1.317.205.3501

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Johnny Lightning realized years ago that old VWs sell, and sell really well.

I don't know how it sold, but the Autoworld '39 Beatle was/is an awesome casting.
Lets hope we will see some cool VW oldies!

To my knowlage a amazement, I've never seen a early to mid '60s Beetle on the pegs with these iconic bumpers like in this pic

Haven't seen a VW Type 3 Fastback on the pegs since Matchbox did one in the late '60s - early '70s. That's a huge un-tapped market I would think.
A fastback would sell like crazy, and I just can't believe there hasn't been one since.

But my number one vote would be for a Hebmuller. A lot of people have never heard of one, but it's got that classic Beetle look that allways sells.

And if GL really wants to be unique and on the cutting edge, THIS prototype wouls seriously impress me.

So Greenlight, can you give us any hints as to what decade all of these new VW castings will be from?
Thanks, and I'm looking forward to knowing more,
LMX

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Allmost 300 views but only 2 replies?
I though there would be way more interest in this thread given the amount of VW freaks out there.
I'm definately not a VW freak, but I'll but anything vintage that isn't another freakin muscle car....assuming these are vintage VWs...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm very interested to see what VW's GL will be doing in 1:64. I'd like to see the original Rabbit/GTI and T2 "Bay Window" van in both panel/window versions. Yes, I know Matchbox has done the T2 window van but know GL can do it better!

To my knowlage a amazement, I've never seen a early to mid '60s Beetle on the pegs with these iconic bumpers like in this pic

Haven't seen a VW Type 3 Fastback on the pegs since Matchbox did one in the late '60s - early '70s. That's a huge un-tapped market I would think.
A fastback would sell like crazy, and I just can't believe there hasn't been one since.

But my number one vote would be for a Hebmuller. A lot of people have never heard of one, but it's got that classic Beetle look that allways sells.

So Greenlight, can you give us any hints as to what decade all of these new VW castings will be from?
Thanks, and I'm looking forward to knowing more,
LMX
I second Lummox's request to see the earlier 60's Beetles with that bumper!

Type 3 fastback would be cool but don't forget the "Squareback" wagon version too!

I know about the Hebmuller - while I prefer standard Beetles would pick a couple of them up if produced.

One last request - if GL can secure the licensing it would be great to see 'Herbie - The Love Bug' as part of the Hollywood series! Johnny Lightning did a few Herbie versions and they are very much in demand as evidenced by eBay auctions. Think Herbie would be a solid seller for GL!

Here's hoping GL will give us more information on their planned VW's soon! :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts