Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on the DaBoxToys site.

http://www.daboxtoys.com/products/p...vic-china-hong-kong-exclusive-special-edition

It isn't exactly the car that interests me the most (new Civic Si...cool, but not something I'll go ga-ga for.) It's the fact that GL is releasing a special for the Chinese market (even though it is an exclusive with DaBox.) Very few non-mainstream model manufacturers have tried entering China at all before (Minichamps, Kyosho, Maisto and Autoart being the exceptions,) so this could be interesting...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very interesting die-cast, but i'd personally want the die-cast to available in another Asian Region too, like Indonesian :thumbsup:

And i hope GL make another Asian Car too, like Honda NSX or maybe Nissan Skyline R34 GTR for the International. hey, maybe GL could make a special series filled with an Asian/Import Car like Nissan, Toyota, or maybe Suzuki. they should named the series called "International Import Series" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I am of the opinion that the new Civic casting is aimed at the US once again because the Civic is very successful here. I think that's where it stops.I assume there are trade shows and such in China becuase so much of the manufacturing is there and therefore the purpose of this release to show off the factory's skillset. As for the expansion of an import line of cars I would not expect skylines and NSXs because companies like Kyosho and Autoart make plenty of good ones already. I believe GL makes a concerted effort to use their developmental dollars for cars that have not been "done to death" or "done well" by other diecast companies. As for an import only series from GL I would not expect that either. Johnny Lightning tried that years ago with Import Heat and those cars hung around the store FOREVER. The success of the Import Heat line was on par with Clue, Poker, and Saturday Evening Post, they were pegwarmers.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am of the opinion that the new Civic casting is aimed at the US once again because the Civic is very successful here. I think that's where it stops.I assume there are trade shows and such in China becuase so much of the manufacturing is there and therefore the purpose of this release to show off the factory's skillset. As for the expansion of an import line of cars I would not expect skylines and NSXs because companies like Kyosho and Autoart make plenty of good ones already. I believe GL makes a concerted effort to use their developmental dollars for cars that have not been "done to death" or "done well" by other diecast companies. As for an import only series from GL I would not expect that either. Johnny Lightning tried that years ago with Import Heat and those cars hung around the store FOREVER. The success of the Import Heat line was on par with Clue, Poker, and Saturday Evening Post, they were pegwarmers.
And keep in mind, this is a Civic Si, a model that was basically built for North America (it is available in China as a limited import, but not a very common one because import costs for a Si would be equal to the costs for a new Porsche.) However, I do recall from a while back that GL was planning on setting up distribution in China (DaBox being a GL seller was probably a part of that plan, although I'm just guessing here.) Even if they did though, I won't be expecting too much, except for packaging variations.

Also, I really don't think GL will enter Indonesia anytime soon. China actually has a growing market for collectable and display items. Can't really see that in Indonesia, where the average monthly salary is lower than $100 from what I have heard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, I really don't think GL will enter Indonesia anytime soon. China actually has a growing market for collectable and display items. Can't really see that in Indonesia, where the average monthly salary is lower than $100 from what I have heard.
Yep, you are true. the average of Indonesian People Salary is lower than $100. the most funny thing is, most of the Old GreenLight Release is still wandering around the Toy Store (because most Indonesian People are only interested in collecting Hot Wheels and Jada, not GreenLight), and i use that advantage to collect so many GreenLight Die-Cast as many as i can :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really don't think GL will enter Indonesia anytime soon. China actually has a growing market for collectable and display items. Can't really see that in Indonesia, where the average monthly salary is lower than $100 from what I have heard.
GreenLight entered the Indonesian market in 2009 and we've actually seen sustained success and regular repeat shipments. Our import partner, PT Agata Promar, does a great job pushing GL into retail locations throughout the vast country.

Sincerely,

Russell Hughes
GreenLight Collectibles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Really appreciate all the comments!

The reason for choosing this car is because it is the 1st and only Japanese brand represented by GL to date so naturally for the China/Hong Kong edition we opted for the Asian model. The 2nd reason being that the Civic Si was only released before as a 2-pack special edition by Honda Racing.

We will continue with our special edition plan and already targeting the next release in December/Jan. We have put up a poll on our facebook page so would love to hear everyone's idea and input before deciding :)

Warm regards,
Felix Kwong
Daboxtoys Model Cars (DMC)

·
Registered
46 Posts
GreenLight entered the Indonesian market in 2009 and we've actually seen sustained success and regular repeat shipments. Our import partner, PT Agata Promar, does a great job pushing GL into retail locations throughout the vast country.

Sincerely,

Russell Hughes
GreenLight Collectibles
It's completely true :thumbsup:
Hey Russell, maybe you can make an Indonesian Special Edition Car just like the Chinese and Hong Kong Special Edition Car. maybe you can make an 2013 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor w/ an Indonesian-Themed Paint Job :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts