Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREENLIGHT ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF 1:18TH 1967 SHELBY TERLINGUA FORD MUSTANG RACING TRIBUTE EDITION

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (December 8, 2009)
Named after the ghost town in southwest Texas, the Shelby Terlingua Ford Mustang captures the raw spirit of racing. One of the more recognizable Shelby American logos, a prancing rabbit silhouetted in black on a chrome and yellow crest was prominently displayed on the “GawdAwful Yellow” Stang. The “Lucifer” emblem designed by Bill Neale, long-time friend of Carroll Shelby, was an appropriate representation of the desolate mesa. For over forty years this motif has continued to symbolize an exhilarating time in both Shelby and Ford Motor Company history.

To commemorate this renowned race car, GreenLight is producing a 1:18th 1967 Shelby Terlingua Ford Mustang Racing Tribute Edition. This replica introduces a new flat racing hood and new five spoke racing wheels. Additionally, this model features 100% die-cast metal body with authentic race livery paint scheme, opening doors, hood, trunk, fabric seatbelts, window box packaging and a sequentially numbered chassis. This diecast classic will be available worldwide in March 2010 with a limited production run of 1,500 units through your favorite hobby shops and online dealers.

GreenLight LLC is a premier manufacturer and marketer of officially licensed, authentic die-cast replica vehicles. GreenLight die-cast replicas are available in 1:18th, 1:24th and 1:64th scale and are officially licensed by General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Chrysler Group LLC, Carroll Shelby Licensing, Barrett-Jackson Auction Company, Chadwick McQueen and The Terry McQueen Testamentary Trust, Tim Phelps, Grand-Am Road Racing Association, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company and Bridgestone Americas.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like the 1:18 scale cars. A few years ago Ertl was making some real nice stuff and for a fair price, most cars at toys r us were only about $20.00 - $22.00 and they seem to be selling good. Then the price started to go up and Ertl stop making them. I wonder how much these will be.

·
Registered
750 Posts
these will prob be in the 40-50 range. I know the new 1:18 2010 Shelby GT500, and 2010 Mustang GT by Greenlight has an MSRP of 57.99 but the details are amazing.

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
also a curious question... seem to remember a couple years ago (?)... saw some 1/18th scale GL Mustangs at Meijers

now I see 2 relativly new posts here about GL 1/18th scale Mustangs...

has GL ever did any other car besides Mustangs in 1/18th scale? :confused:

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
Oh, Ok...just never saw any...

Only ones I ever saw were at a store called Meijers and all they had were a few Mustangs

·
Registered
305 Posts
LOOKS GREAT, but no racing interior?
Hi Ward,

You are correct but you will notice this is a tribute edition. We have toyed with (no pun intended) the idea of the full race interior but as of right now we are using a stock interior in tribute trim only. If we get enough support we might be able to add this at a later date. But we thought getting this famous and unique notchback race car tribute out was a great win for everyone using our existing tooling in 1:18th with only requiring a modified hood and new wheels.

Thanks,

- Matt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh, Ok...just never saw any...

Only ones I ever saw were at a store called Meijers and all they had were a few Mustangs
Hi Pablodragon,

You and Harristotle are both right. The only 1:18th we have sold at "mass" to date was those '68 Mustang items at Meijer you are referring too. The only exception to this is local Meijer items carrying some of our Indy product in years past. However Harristotle is right, we also have a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am (TTA and GTA), a 1970/71 Dodge Challenger (hardtop and conv), a 1986 Chevy Corvette convertible, a 1967 Ford Mustang GT coupe and coming soon the 2010 Ford Mustang GT and 2010 Ford Shelby GT-500.

And in case any of you didn't know, Toys R Us is scheduled to be putting out our first Black Bandit 1:18th scale items in the next few weeks/days. This first release features a custom '67 Mustang GT and a custom '68 Mustang GT California Special. Be on the look out for them soon.

Thanks,

- Matt

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Matt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop in and answer our questions here on HT. That is so very kind of you and please know how much we appreciate it.

As for the "Tribute" I am a bit lost...you nailed it dead on but in a street car package. One word... WHY? Is it just the tooling cost of the new interior and small touches? I would hope that it being plastic, it would be cheaper to produce then diecast metal. Of course I really have no idea, but surely the expense is in the original casting, and not the molds for the plastic interiors.

So while I am so thrilled you choose to produce this car at all, (even in a tribute form) I will have to pass while waiting for the racing replica. At that point, I see 3 or 4 in my future. With a little paint and decals, a customizer can recreate so many wonderful SCCA era cars from that platform.

I feel confident that this release will sell very well. And I know that this is only one collectors opinion, but in a world where the real car exist, why produce a tribute to the original... Just reproduce the original!

Heck, you've already paid the licencing and royalty fees for it. So all that's missing is the racing components. And let's face it...if you produce a limited run of the racing version, industry patterns predict it would be a sell out (ask GMP). The buying audience is already in place. We are looking for someone to do this car right, looking to fill a large hole in our Mustang collection. While the general public will place little to no value on this street car in racing wolf clothing, the real racing collectors will line up to add a period correct version to their shelves.

In fact, I wonder if the general Ford fan would prefer to see the casting “not messed up” with the racing livery. Why not give both camps something to grab hold of. We seldom hear of a road version release selling out, but most accurate racing replicas will close out pretty quickly.

Just me 2 cents worth. I'll patiently wait for the "real" version, though I do offer GL a huge tip of the hat for even looking at this historic car at all.

You guys do a wonderful job, keep it up and may you all have a very Merry Christmas and a fantastic 2010!

Ward

1 - 12 of 12 Posts