Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a new mix of their 3 packs the other day. Looks like the tampos are no longer being used.

You can find these at Dollar Tree currently.

I find them quircky overall, but at 3 for a $1.00 a cheap indulgence to get what used to be a C5 Corvette model in yellow. Pretty sure the red one is suppose to be a Viper and I thought the blue one was a 1st generation NSX, but it has 4 seats. A new flickr follower has most of these catalogued and I need to take the time to go back and update my own photos of them.

For an inexpensive casting they roll freely, but not very far or straight. So not a track car candidate. And they come with a window piece, an interior with some details and a even a detailed base with casting numbers.

2019 Greenbrier International 3 Pack by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This 3 pack dates back to 2017. The green one is a Mercedes. The orange one I believe is called a Ford Sierra and the purple one is another Viper. I was still seeing these on the pegs at Dollar General as late as last fall iIIRC.

2017 Greenbrier Diecast 3 Pack by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This 3 pack dates back to 2017. The green one is a Mercedes. The orange one I believe is called a Ford Sierra and the purple one is another Viper. I was still seeing these on the pegs at Dollar General as late as last fall iIIRC.

2017 Greenbrier Diecast 3 Pack by Milton Fox, on Flickr
Very interesting! I don't recall seeing those at Dollar Tree but I have seen them loose during my thrift store hunts. I think I have also seen them at another discount shop new that also sells a lot of Greenbriar toys.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I saw these....and passed at the time. Not like I don't have enough cats to chase.

The question I have, is Greenbriar the maker...or the distributor? Sometimes models get lumped under the distributor because that's the only name on the package...Ja-Ru or MarzKarz for example, both of which marketed known Summer castings.

I can't see enough of these to tell, and when it comes to the cheapies I get lost quickly, but my best guess is these are likely from one of the budget line makers out there now like Kaixin or Pioneer.

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very well maybe, but speculation is just speculation after all. One of these is marked as Greenbrier and the other two are not.

DSC_0504 by Milton Fox, on Flickr

DSC_0502 by Milton Fox, on Flickr

So at present the facts are Greenbrier on the casting and Greenbrier on the packaging makes them a Greenbrier product.

Has or does either Kaixin or Pioneer distributed these models under their own names? :lurk05:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Both Kaixin and Pioneer are quintessential "no name / generic" made in China cheapies. I know enough about either to get in trouble.

I found this multicar set in Tuesday Morning a couple months back, labelled Brooklyn Lollipops. I was informed these are Kaixin. Someone else showed up with a three or four pack of some of these same models - color, wheels, tampos - under yet a different name that escapes me at this moment. Out of the package I doubt a person could tell them apart.

That is the way it is commercially with the cheapie makers, they are meant to shut a kid up for an afternoon and get tossed when it gets stepped on or left on the living room carpet or disappears into the sandbox under the shade tree. They aren't meant to be kept or collected. (There are other factors at play too, but that is the dominant part of the story)

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
A quick look at the Summer database shows quite a few 9000 series Summer models. Odd, because I haven't seen anything clearly attributable to Summer for a good while now, probably close to ten years. In that time an upstart has come along that makes me think they might be peripherally associated with Summer, a new outfit called Suntoys.

Suntoys sometimes puts their name, sometimes not (Summer did the same), and it looks like Suntoys also used a 9000 series numbering system for their models...

The construction doesn't appear to be the same as yours though, in particular the "tab" suspension.

Maybe I should have paid better attention to these, but like I said I have enough cats to chase. Greenbriar would be a newcomer, if it turns out to be correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Very well maybe, but speculation is just speculation after all. One of these is marked as Greenbrier and the other two are not.

DSC_0504 by Milton Fox, on Flickr

DSC_0502 by Milton Fox, on Flickr

So at present the facts are Greenbrier on the casting and Greenbrier on the packaging makes them a Greenbrier product.

Has or does either Kaixin or Pioneer distributed these models under their own names? :lurk05:
These are Suntoys (& I believe Suntoys was/is? connected to Summer).
I have been collecting Summer for a very long time & have an extensive list of what I have up until 2002 (then a few bits added later up to 2014).
Summers original numbers ran from #671 up to #700 (some numbers had 'S' in front of them).
The next batch of numbers #8000 up to #9614 (again some numbers had 'S' in front + also 'F' behind the number).
When the numbers reached #8701, some cars are found with #701. These '700' numbers continued up to #745.
Then numbers start at #8802 up to #9614 (my last from the Original run of SUMMER cars.)
After this came a '900' series. These are 'Summer' castings but poorer quality. (still made by Summer? or now 'Suntoys?)
This series ran from #903 to #927.(Sometimes with a 'A' behind the number).
Next comes a continuation of the '900' series numbers ... but this time All new castings. (Again.. Summer? or Suntoys?)
These numbers ran from #927 to #934.
We then get Suntoys with #9270 up to #9802. From #9803 to #9817 we also get some with '000' added to the end of the number.
From then on Suntoys started making the better quality diecast cars with the 'L9800' numbers.
There is definately a period where Summer & Suntoys are connected (& still a possibility the same company.!). :roll:

·
Registered
674 Posts
These are Suntoys (& I believe Suntoys was/is? connected to Summer).
I have been collecting Summer for a very long time & have an extensive list of what I have up until 2002 (then a few bits added later up to 2014). ... :roll:
Very good! I just posted the Summer list I have, you might want to review it and make any corrections. I had to rely heavily on the contributions of others for that list.

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
None of these casting are in the Summer listings posted today.

A quick search though for Suntoys does show the Viper, the Sierra and few others as the exact castings now package by Greenbrier. So I am leaning towards Suntoys as the maker and not Summer. It also fits better to the information from Kimmo, Dave and Marks small diecast book about Suntoys.

Since @juantoo3 already has both Greenbrier, Summer and Suntoys each listed as individual entries in his posted small scale master listings. How is it that you would update the listings - in this case -as to 'maker' 'factory' and 'trade' names you have mentioned elsewher? :lurk5:

I am still hesitant about the NSX - as it does not appear as a previous Suntoy casting (or Summer). And it is the one embossed with the Greenbrier name.

·
Administrator
25,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have also found some Corvette's in 1:24 scale at Tuesday Morning. The first one was only called by the Lollipop Toys brand, but the most recent one had an added sticker with the Brooklyn name on it. I will need to see if they are sealed or if I can open it and research the base marking on it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I also noticed that at least two castingsin in the Lollipops multipack that @juantoo3 shows both have the same front end tab design as the Greenbrier packaged ones do.
That isn't particularly surprising, it is a construction method that requires spinning fewer posts...hook one end and spin one post and on down the line it goes to the next process. (Hot Wheels even tried it for a time, there is a burgundy Nomad from the mid-1990's that can be found with two posts and hook/post base variants.)

·
Registered
674 Posts
So I am leaning towards Suntoys as the maker and not Summer. It also fits better to the information from Kimmo, Dave and Marks small diecast book about Suntoys.
With the added information I would lean that way as well.

Since juantoo3 already has both Greenbrier, Summer and Suntoys each listed as individual entries in his posted small scale master listings. How is it that you would update the listings - in this case -as to 'maker' 'factory' and 'trade' names you have mentioned elsewhere?
It is possible the name Greenbriar came up before. I did not vet every name on that list, the names were provided by a long list of individuals...one could say Eric "tricked" us into a game and we all tried to outdo each other coming up with obscure names, but we did have to supply images to support those claims. Names on the base were acceptable, so my guess is someone not unlike yourself showed a model with Greenbriar on the base...which got it added to the list. As I pointed to with Ja-Ru and MarzKarz, both of which are well known and understood examples of distributors being mistaken for makers, it does happen, particularly with the obscure cheapie brands that get marketed in a long list of trade names. I think the work of Kimmo, Dave and Mark is very thorough up to the point they published, but it has been about 15 years since then and nobody I know of has kept the detailed tracing of every one of these obscure (no-name, generic) Chinese makers. I have peripheral interest, but most of my focus has been on vintage stuff (so I've been wrapped up the past few years in Hubley, Budgie, Benbros, Konami and pre-production stuff).

To answer your question directly, if we can presume at this point these are Suntoys models, and if I can presume Suntoys has taken over the Summer production facility, then Suntoys would be the factory and likely also the maker. Greenbriar would be the distributor in any case, and likely contracted Suntoys to produce the models wholesale which Greenbriar then wholesaled to (in this case) Dollar Tree for retail sale. That would be my best guess, but there are variables along the supply chain that can affect the answer. If we can determine that these "Greenbriar" models are the same or substantially similar (possible minor modifications) to known Suntoys castings, then I would be comfortable calling them Suntoys and that is how I would categorize them. Your mileage may vary... Typically the trade name is on the front of the packaging...apart from the number 3 on yours and the word "pack" and the French equivalent, I don't really see any other distinguishing trade dress across the packages. In that case I would look on the back to see if there were any information, but so many of these are blank, and I am presuming yours are too. That leaves little to go on, but Greenbriar would potentially be the trade name as well, or "3" or "3 pack" if it weren't that the cars are packaged 3 to a pack. The cheaper the generics get, the less information to go on. It has been suggested on more than one occasion this might be to skirt licensing requirements...can't enforce infringement if you can't trace who actually made them...

I am still hesitant about the NSX - as it does not appear as a previous Suntoy casting (or Summer). And it is the one embossed with the Greenbrier name.
It really is not at all unusual. If, by the company it keeps (packaged in the same pack) it is with Suntoys models (I'm still leaving a sliver of doubt), I would be inclined to think it is a Suntoys model, in spite of what is on the base. Bases get modified routinely. Take a look at the connection between Yatming and Imperial or Road Champs. Granted, there it was paper labels covering the source...in this case Yatming...but once out of the package and little fingers picking off the label there is nothing to distinguish how the car was released to market. That would be a fair argument. But what of other times when models were / are contracted and the base *is* changed? Can't really point to Ertl-RC-JL because that wasn't contracting, but I can point to High Speed-Grell-Malibu International and likely Schuco. High Speed models sold as Grell had the Grell company logo on the base. Likewise with Malibu International...and I would not be the least surprised if the same is true with the Schuco issues of High Speed models. So changing the base is not unheard of, and with a bit of looking around I am sure I can come up with more examples. Bases get changed all the time, and is probably one of the easiest (certainly most common) modifications made to tools. So having the Greenbriar name on the base is good, certainly something if nothing else is available, but not an absolute identifier...as we see once again with Imperial and Road Champs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
About a year and a half, maybe 2 years ago, a Roses store opened here locally. I found these inside:

To date no one has been able to identify them. I don't have a clue. Yet again...no-name, generic, "made in China" playthings meant to be tossed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts