Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say its a great time to buy for new comers!

This one was a complete steal! T traded value wise $300-400 for this GM only seven months ago! I only hope it was won by someone who really needs it and not someone who already has three of them. Congrats to the winner, you will find it was money well spent when it arrives...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREENLIGHT-MUSCLE-CAR-GARAGE-GREEN-MACHINE-1969-FORD-MUSTANG-BOSS-302-RARE-CAR-/190686127535?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item2c65c765af

I have seen other deals in the last few months. This comes from a Green Machine value peak (mostly MCG1/ S/C1 Mustangs) just six months ago! So what is happening, and lets not blame this on Europe, lol.

Again, great time for people to jump on some of these. I feel that prices will increase again soon.

All the best,

Mason

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I can tell you i get Greenies at my Fle market for $10.00 each. Unlike local toy shows were there asking $25. To $35. On average.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I think I could be a combination of things.

First being the time of year. Sales tend to slow down in the summer making prices cheaper.

Also, IMO, people seem to be loosing interest in GL as a whole. With few places carrying them, high retail prices and lame-o products being released (ei. foam cars) I think this, in turn, is also pushing prices down.

Personally my ONLY interest in GL is Olds 442's. If the market for GM is going down, maybe that will allow collectors like me to be able to afford to put a few GM's in my 442 collection. :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents :wave:

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Yeah, most GMs outside of the first few series seem to be available around $10 now. I think it is mainly the economy. Personally, I've shifted my collecting to vintage diecast. Unless GL buys the Fresh Cherries or F Series truck dies from Motormax and produces them, I don't have much reason to buy their products.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

Lots of good deals out there. Not much interest on my end. Still have a few key GM's but no new ones will enter my collection until they shake up the GM traits. M2 did that at one point.Lately no one is doing any chase cars that are really cool. Time will tell.

DrDeal

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of good deals out there. Not much interest on my end. Still have a few key GM's but no new ones will enter my collection until they shake up the GM traits. M2 did that at one point.Lately no one is doing any chase cars that are really cool. Time will tell.

DrDeal
Which ones did you hold onto Andrew? If it where me the four would be
-MCG1 Boss 302 (White)
-S/C Series 1 Custom 429
-S/C Series 1 Stock Mach1
-S/C Series 2 Custom 442 (which is an error with the stock side tampo)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I still have all of my GMs but I will admit I rarely add to them any more. Castings have once again gotten stale for me. New molds are still coming out albeit at the same slow rate as always but the new focus on police and newer cars does not hold my interest. The newest Hollywood stuff is OK but it kinda seems to me that the same subject matter is being rehashed over and over again with different packaging.
There are a LOT of greens in my collection that I paid $40 for. I doubt I could get $20ea for most of them now. The economic downturn helped me buy my house but destroyed the value of my collection. The GM market has been soft for a while but until any real buzz is created by a return to former glory(which will only be attained by a return to what made GL successful in the beginning) I don't see any change coming. The new molds are fine, but I have zero interest in economy cars(I do not consider the Focus or Civic to be a performance car, they do not have a V8) or vans for that matter. I will probably pick up one of the dodge vans if I see it but I see no reason for more than one in my collection.
Any generation Firebird or Camaro not currently produced would be a good bet as would the 80s Grand National/Monte, early or late Mopar muscle, early 60s big cars, whatever. I realize that GL is attempting to appeal to the world market, but I feel like they may have neglected what brought them into the mainstream diecast fold as of late. Diversification is key for any business to grow but completely moving away from what made you famous will turn off your core fans, kinda like when Van Halen went all "keyboardy".

Then there's distribution. Leaving the entire distribution of the brand to TRU is like leaving your kids with your crazy drunk uncle for the weekend. Some stores get tons of GL on a regular basis, while others don't get anything new for months at a time. I see attempts by GL to get into more retail outlets(pep boys and some hobby stores) but more is needed. I heard rumors that maybe GL would be back at Target in the fall, my guess is that the fall reset will allocate less space for the pixar "Cars" junk that is clogging up an immense amount of space at both Target and TRU. But for me, if the only product line carried by Target(as before)is the police stuff then it makes me no nevermind as I don't collect police cars, they are all boring repaints of the same old castings to me. Strictly my opinion, I don't hold it against you if you like them, but they're not for me.

I agree with Andrew that the GM program needs a serious shake up. I am tired of green wheels and base. I want green tires and "green machine" printed on the tires, heck I would even welcome back green bodies at this point.

Due to all of the above long windedness, there is a lack of excitement around the brand from where I stand. Low interest is a result of all of these factors. Low demand and prices of chase pieces is a result of low interest in the brand combined with a crappy economy(which does NOT appear to be getting better but that's another low value story for another message board,LOL).

I firmly believe GL has lost a lot of their early fans while in "hot pursuit" of a new audience. When you get a new dog, you still have to feed the old one, pretty simple.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I agree with what everyone said. :thumbsup:

I am also tired of the green rim/chassis combo...GL really needs to mix up the green machine traits.

Can only find GL in TRU which isnt good if you are trying to put a set together.

I am trying to get the first 2 70 Camaro's from MCG 1 so maybe they will pop up on the bay soon.

Mike

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Thanks kwik,

I don't want to sound like a GL detractor. Those who come to this forum know that over the years I have been much more of an advocate and maybe even a GL apologist at times.
That said I DO like some of the new series. The GL Muscle and Zine Machines are conceptually very nice. The packaging is attractive and the cars are nice. 90% of GL castings are among the best in the business hands down but these new series need some fresh blood. This is an ongoing issue with GL, and now it seems even worse as the focus has become newer cars instead of new molds of older cars. So when new cars are finally released they don't appeal to me personally. I am sure that the new Explorer cast is nice but to me it is nothing more than a modern day station wagon. New cars have no personality for the most part. I think the exceptions are the Challenger, Mustang, Camaro, and Viper. The newer Vettes do not translate well to 1:64, the curves are too subtle and like most newer cars have absolutely NO personality. A 1970 Super Bee has TONS of personality, a Civic or Taurus? NOT so much.
Saying that I would only buy one Dodge van May be premature. Due to poor distribution by TRU(which is out of GL's hands) I have not seen ANYTHING new since before Christmas at my local store. Maybe If I saw the Chevy or Dodge Van hanging somewhere I could make that determination.
A lot of the "old timers" from GL's early days have moved on due to all of these factors. Some of them moved on because they were tired of waiting for fresh castings, and some of them moved on because shortcuts were taken on some castings and details were either fudged or botched like the 70s Trans Ams. More old guys like me are moving on while GL attempts to bring in the younger crowd. That's fine, but it makes me think. When I was young I was broke and could not afford to buy a bunch of superfluous stuff. Now that I am older I have more money to spend on diecast. Does this lend itself to a flawed approach on the part of GL? I guess time will tell.
Back to the subject of Green Machines being cheap nowadays I believe it all ties in to less demand equals cheaper prices. Shaking up the traits would certainly spark interest and increase demand. To me, it seems that the green wheels/base traits are a cheap way out. It is very easy to prep 1000 bases and wheel sets all at one time making it a much cheaper proposition than manufacturing 1000 sets of green tires. Shaking up the traits will require an investment in both man hours at the office and manufacturing cost. Does GL care enough to make the investment? Again, time will tell.

Lastly, if anyone from GL reads this, PLEASE stop the hacky green foil cards. This is the lamest "chase" yet in the world of diecast. A regular Treasure Hunt is better, at least the car IN the package is somehow unique. I have left the green foils hanging, I refuse to participate. It is/was a horrible idea, please stop. Either include the foil card WITH the green machine car ONLY, or get rid of it completely. It is an embarassment to the brand. My second request is that something is done to reclaim what drew me to the brand, for instance, bring back MCG S&C, 12 car sets, 6 stock, 6 custom. I loved the format, as did many others.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Can't disagree with anything there Mark. The collectors were telling GL to mix up the gm traits. They chose not to. Now less interest in them. All the newer cars they are doing. I could not care less about new cars. I am a chase car junkie and I keep my chase pieces except for maybe doubles (which that don't happen much any more). Last week I sold 3 of my GMs to a local guy (not doubles). GL Muscle series cars. 2010 and 2012 models. If I want to see a new car I will just look out the window to the street. No, green cards did not go over. What I find interesting about the GL cars are the low production numbers, especially the chase pieces. They actually are very rare. A 100 pieces (give or take 30) in my books is very rare. GMs should sell for ALOT more dollars. They are a bargain lately. HaHaHa, I am not buying them either though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i don't look at GL any more really.
They need to go back to their roots.
And I personally would like to see the green machines like old days. very limited good castings, and put green machine on the front of the package. maybe it gives it away. but so what. it's not like they are hiding anything from scalpers. as has been pointed out. the GM market is the pits now days. and the cars just aren't appealing any longer. especially when i see $5.99 or $6.99 on the price tag.
Get the serial numbers back on the bottom for an idea of quantity.

or is it that they can't really take this any further at this price range? possible. hot wheels keeps going because it's a toy, and you can get a good chase car for still around a buck.

feel the same about m-2. i think it's worn itself out also.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I don't mean to imply that I no longer collect GL. When something I like is released, I buy it, and I have no problem with the price if the quality is there. I already own all of the muscle casts in one form or color(or more than one) so I really look forward to new releases. I have been waiting for the F-150 for years while development dollars and time have gone to other Ford stuff like the Focus and Explorer. I fully understand that GL has what is likely a lucrative deal with Ford and Ford calls the shots BUT I see commercials ALL of the time stating that the F-150 has been the best selling truck for 30+ years. I will double guarantee they sell more F-150s than Focus'. It just puzzles me. And to beat all I am definitely NOT a Ford guy. I have never owned one and I am 46 years old and went through cars like socks when I was young. I do look forward to new stuff and always hope it will be something I like, but lately nothing grabs me especially green machines with the same old traits.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I will double guarantee they sell more F-150s than Focus'. It just puzzles me. And to beat all I am definitely NOT a Ford guy.
I'll second that guarantee. Anyone that has followed the secondary market on the Motormax F-150s and 350s knows that the farm toy community pays crazy prices for the 1:64th versions. If GL could buy those dies like they did the Motor World line from High Speed and use their Ford license to produce them, they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

Which ones did you hold onto Andrew? If it where me the four would be
-MCG1 Boss 302 (White)
-S/C Series 1 Custom 429
-S/C Series 1 Stock Mach1
-S/C Series 2 Custom 442 (which is an error with the stock side tampo)

I have a bunch of BB's, Some very cool PrePros and a few examples of each scale. Plus 15 Custom Versions of the GL Garage Cuda that has DrDeal on the plate :) Since GL made a promo with my handle on it I will always have a soft spot for them and GreenLight Garage.

Andrew

·
Registered
303 Posts
Out of sight = out of mind.
Poor distribution means collectors turn to other brands... or new hobbies altogether. I can't remember the last new release of GL product I found... and the last green machine was the week before Christmas. I'm still chasing the old ones, but the new stuff simply has lost its luster.

·
Banned
255 Posts
Soft is right. I used to go right for the Greenlights when I doorwarm, now its the HW first. I'll take a $uper any day.
I do like the fact that TRU is the only game in town with Greenlight. This way I can nail them on truck days. Target & Walmart too unpredictable, I can't run in there everyday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts