Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,279 Posts
Well, I'm not a GL fan as such, but the costume is cool, so I'd probably go for a kit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is NOT a typical "wish" thread.

Nor, is it a thread needing to be refered to the 2010 kits "already" announced.

This is a thread in the spirit of an original question/discussion pertaining to the very real chance that a GL model might be possible, due to the huge blockbuster Green Lantern film that starts production this March, for a Dec, '10 or early 2011 release.

This movie will be on the level of Iron Man. Special effects and budget are not going to be spared. There is already a toy line in development, clothes, fast food tie-ins, etc. For those that don't know, GL is the top selling comic book right now (for both Marvel and DC). It's also been one of DC's best selling franchises for over 5 years, beating out Wonder Woman and some Superman titles. Hal Jordan, GL, is top dog these days for merchandising as a result.

It only makes sense that some company may get the 1st official Green Lantern styrene kit rights. And what better company than the one we love, and the one who already has DC lic. approvals and DC kits in the pipe-line (Wonder Woman & Superboy)?

Discussion is what forums are designed for, contrary to the structure here at times.

Regards,

geoff

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is NOT a typical "wish" thread.

Nor, is it a thread needing to be refered to the 2010 kits "already" announced.

This is a thread in the spirit of an original question/discussion pertaining to the very real chance that a GL model might be possible, due to the huge blockbuster Green Lantern film that starts production this March, for a Dec, '10 or early 2011 release.

This movie will be on the level of Iron Man. Special effects and budget are not going to be spared. There is already a toy line in development, clothes, fast food tie-ins, etc. For those that don't know, GL is the top selling comic book right now (for both Marvel and DC). It's also been one of DC's best selling franchises for over 5 years, beating out Wonder Woman and some Superman titles. Hal Jordan, GL, is top dog these days for merchandising as a result.

It only makes sense that some company may get the 1st official Green Lantern styrene kit rights. And what better company than the one we love, and the one who already has DC lic. approvals and DC kits in the pipe-line (Wonder Woman & Superboy)?

Discussion is what forums are designed for, contrary to the structure here at times.

Regards,

geoff
Yesssssssssssssssssss:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not ALL the 2010 kits.. and the GL sales window will pour/carry over into 2011, so don't fret too much. :thumbsup:

News may still be on the horizon. :)
Let`s hope it`s a hit.Not sure about Ryan Reynolds though but better then the Jack Black of a few years back.Hey that rhymes. lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
Let`s hope it`s a hit.Not sure about Ryan Reynolds though but better then the Jack Black of a few years back.Hey that rhymes. lol
The movie will be a huge hit, trust me. Sooo many people want this to happen, the right way, DC too.

Reynolds, I agree, blah. But I said the same thing about Keaton for Batman in '88 and he did OK. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The movie will be a huge hit, trust me. Sooo many people want this to happen, the right way, DC too.

Reynolds, I agree, blah. But I said the same thing about Keaton for Batman in '88 and he did OK. We'll have to wait and see.

The fan made trailer looks amazing.That much I know.I just hope Ryan doesn`t camp it up too much.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If every film that was guaranteed to be a mega hit in January before production starts in March for release in December turned out to be as hyped by the studios and fans of the character...Then it would be a no brainer to decide on what new kits to produce...Every new film is going to be a mega hit a year before paying customers get to see it in the theatre... Only a few actually turn out that way!
Green Lantern is NOT in production yet - I'm not sure that it's even been cast yet...Studios have nasty habits of cancelling projects like this on a regular basis......I don't think we want to judge this project based on a FAN MADE trailer!
I've been involved in conversations like that before with licensor reps.....One that comes to mind immediately would be the licensor rep who guaranteed us, at Polar Lights that Titan AE would be the next Star Wars! I was personally in on that conversation! (I remember telling my boss that I had a nice Bridge I'd like to sell him right after that conversation!)
We heard all that same hype for TWO Incredible Hulk films - both turned out to be Incredible flops!
We were working on a Hulk kit that never happened because we couldn't satisfy the licensor with the sculpt for the kit. (turns out that the licensor did us a huge favor there)Boy are we glad we didn't spend tooling money on that kit!!!
Maybe that Green Lantern is going to be a huge hit and then again it might be a giant flop...nothing guarantees that it'll translate into a PROFITABLE plastic kit. You'll have to excuse me for being sceptical (comes with experience)!
I'd suggest that we might be trusted to make reasonably good judgements regarding kits we will bring to the store shelf....
I'd also STRONGLY suggest that most of 2010 has already been announced since that list is already at 11 kits.
I would not encourage anyone to think that there will be very many more items added to the list..
At this date Green Lantern has not even been a subject for discussion in terms of a new kit for this year.......
You guys are free to talk about it - however I wouldn't expect a new kit in 2010 if I were you..

Dave

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That`s understandable.He is a popular"comic book" character as well.Hawkman would make a great kit as well.Just my opinion though.It`s all a wait & see game I think.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If every film that was guaranteed to be a mega hit in January before production starts in March for release in December were as hyped by the studios...It would be a no brainer to decide on what new kits to produce...
So far the movie has not been hyped by the studio. Only people close to the production and fans world-wide.

Green Lantern is NOT in production yet - I'm not sure that it's even been cast yet...
It has been cast, principals at least, and the start date for production is March. Hal Jordan is to be played by Ryan Reynolds and Carol Ferris by Blake Lively http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/01/09/gossip-girl-blake-lively-lands-role-in-green-lantern-movie/.

Studios have nasty habits of cancelling projects like this on a regular basis......
True, but this one is pretty far along in the development stage. It will not be cancelled. "Donald De Line and Greg Berlanti are producing the big-budget sci-fi movie, which is scheduled to shoot in Louisiana in March with an eye towards a June 17, 2011 release."
I've been involved in conversations like that before with licensor reps.....One that comes to mind immediately would be the licensor rep who guaranteed that Titan AE would be the next Star Wars! I was personally in on that conversation!
Should have researched that on the 'net.. I could have told you it would've been a dog. Seriously. Titan AE the next Star Wars?

We heard all that same hype for TWO Incredible Hulk films - both turned out to be Incredible flops!
Not sure where you're getting your "hype" (spider-sense) yard stick from Dave, but in the circles I run both HULK films were pegged as major dogs, part 2 especially, long before they came out. In fact, so much so that I never even considered seeing them, or buying any merchandise. There is true hype and manufactored hype. The HULK films, and business partners, were victims of the latter.
We were working on a Hulk kit that never happened because we couldn't satisfy the licensor with the sculpt for the kit. (turns out that the licensor did us a huge favor there)Boy are we glad we didn't spend tooling money on that kit!!!
No doubt. Still though, a HULK kit would still be a cool item, but there would have never been a (noticable) huge gain in sales due to the movie.
Maybe that Green Lantern is going to be a huge hit and then again it might be a giant flop...nothing guarantees that it'll translate into a PROFITABLE plastivc kit.
Again, very true. But consider this. Green Lantern has NEVER been as popular as he is now. There is a major motion picture being made of him. His merchandise is everywhere. 2011 will be the year of Green Lantern. (Remember I said it here). :) There has NEVER been a styrene kit of him. At what point in time has there EVER been the perfect colusion of events to make producing an original AURORA style Green Lantern model then there is now? It's the perfect "green" storm for getting this on track. Can't deny that.

I'd suggest that we might be trusted to make reasonably good judgements regarding kits we will bring to the store shelf... .
Titans AE.. :rolleyes:

For the most part, regarding the above statement, I tend to agree, as I buy 99.9% of your stuff. But it might be worthwhile to "consider" looking at the product opportunity if time permits.

I'd also STRONGLY suggest that most of 2010 has already been announced that list is already at 11 kits.
I would not encourage anyone to think that there will be very many more items added to the list..
Cool with me, love the WW, Superboy and Raider for sure.
At this date Green Lantern has not even been a subject for discussion in terms of a new kit.....
You guys are free to talk about it - however I wouldn't expect a new kit in 2010 if I were you..
Dave
OK. But 2011 is the year of Green Lantern, and green means life, and where there is life, there is hope. :)

g.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think that superhero kits should mostly come from the popular comic books versions,and not necessarily be made because a movie about them comes out.I can hardly wait to hear if Moebius did well with the Spiderman and Green Goblin sales at the end of this year.Although this would not guarantee more Spiderman's super villains kits for 2011,it would get our hopes up for sure.:hat:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.