Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title sounds like a reality TV show ?

I posted this in the car forum then wasn't sure that's where I should have posted.

So, I'm looking to create the rotating garage set from the Green Hornet TV series as a diorama. I found an old thread on HobbyTalk from many years ago where someone wanted to do the same thing...but I'm not sure if it ever came to fruition.

So, I was looking for some help. I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this. I'm pretty sure that both the cars needed (Black Beauty aka 1966 Chrysler Imperial and 1965 Chrysler 300 Conv.) don't exist in the same scale. That's where I'm hoping some of you fine folks could help me.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jo-Han produced a 1/25 1965 Chrysler 300 convertible, and a 1/25 1965 Chrysler Imperial (3-in-1 customizing kit) which you could, with some effort, convert to the '66-based Black Beauty. (Differences between the '65 and '66 Imperial were pretty much limited to the front grille and the trunk bulge.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jo-Han produced a 1/25 1965 Chrysler 300 convertible, and a 1/25 1965 Chrysler Imperial (3-in-1 customizing kit) which you could, with some effort, convert to the '66-based Black Beauty. (Differences between the '65 and '66 Imperial were pretty much limited to the front grille and the trunk bulge.)
Thanks Tom. Other than eBay, any suggestions on where I could search for those kits?

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are several vintage kit sellers with websites. From what I've seen, both Jo-Han kits can be pricey - when they're available (which probably isn't too often). But patience and determination (and of course money) will get you what you want.

Best of luck with this project. I look forward to seeing it done!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Did I not see a 1/25 scale Black Beauty recently? Hmmm, might've been diecast, not sure. Still, I LOVE this idea!

Here is the AMT Convetible in 1:25:

Here is the 1/25 Black Beauty produced by the now out of business resin company, T&T Productions. It is a curbside:

So yeah! You can do this! A bit spendy, but yeah! I'd like to see this myself! :thumbsup:

Doug

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow!!! Tom! Is that the 1/18th diecast? That is gorgeous!

Doug
Sorry I wasn't clear. That's an old photo - probably from 1966 - of a model made for the TV series. Very likely the same model used to film the "flip" scene in the garage. (Which of course involved two models - the Black Beauty and the 300 convertible. So meallen's project would involve building two smaller scale models of two large scale models!)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thank you Tom! Those are beauties! I think a flip-floor diorama is a brilliant idea! Re-pop the AMT kit and tool up a 1:25 scale Black Beauty! Sell that with cardboard printed garage details, and...hmm. Probably never see the light of day...

Still, I love the idea!

Doug

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup, a new Black Beauty is called for. Not just because of the scale, but because the Aurora kit (judging by the Polar Lights repop) had a number of inaccuracies and very sloppy-looking details. Even by 1960s standards, the kit was poorly done (which is baffling, considering the beautiful job Aurora did on the large-scale models for TV).

"Re-pop the AMT kit ..."

Note that the AMT kit is an Imperial convertible, not the Chrysler 300 convertible that's needed.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Wow! You're right. I see the 1:18 Auto Art Beaut' going for $175 at the auction site. Look at the detail:

I wonder if they'll ever make a 300 convertible...?

Doug

·
Registered
704 Posts
Aurora built the cars for the flip scenes in the TV series.
IIRC the models were 1/5 scale and were constructed by Andy Yanchus (yep, THAT Andy Yanchus) and Derek Brand, who was the head of Aurora's slotcar division. In addition to the "garage flip" the BB model was used when the billboard split/slid back and the car exited from the hidden garage. I remember Andy telling me how frustrated he was that the pattern for the kit was so HORRIBLE, but as luck would have it, he created the pattern for the Aurora slotcar body and went to GREAT lengths to do the original justice. Ironically however, the accurate body did not interact well with the STANDARD slotcar chassis and, again, if memory serves, Andy told me the rear tires rubbed against the fender skirts and they ended up with a lot of complaints. I know Andy told the story in an issue of his '80s fanzine "The Runner"; it MIGHT have appeared (w/o permission) in Tom Graham's book, or maybe in Andy and Dennis Prince's very own "Monster Scenes book (which if you do NOT own, shame on you, go to Amazon NOW!!! >:).)
Tom

·
Registered
695 Posts
IIRC the models were 1/5 scale and were constructed by Andy Yanchus...and Derek Brand, who was the head of Aurora's slotcar division.
Ahhh! One FIFTH scale! OK! Man, that's a big 'un! I wonder what ever happened to those beaut's? I cannot imagine them trashing them. Look at the amount of work involved! Yeah. Somebody must have snatched these up. Lovingly cared for them! Yeah, right. Reality is, dumpster...! Show was done! Next project! Sad.

Those guys had a different mind set. I wonder what those two 1:5th cars would fetch today? The mind reels!

Doug

·
Registered
704 Posts
Actually I checked the MS book, and there is a photo of the two models in the Aurora parking lot and the caption reads 1/10 scale. I seem to remember Andy telling me the models were supposed to return to Aurora, but they never did...
Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts