Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: This is a great Idea for those confronted with the dilemma of adapting bodies that are longer than the standard T-jet wheelbase.This would solve all the technical handling issue's building school bus's,trucks etc.Perhaps someone could do the maximum wheelbase & then you could cut it down for what you need.Aside from standard t-Jet-type parts you would just need to make tooling for the long chassis & gearplate.Check-out link below for picture.This was not my Idea but the guy down under had a Bonzer of a brainstorm !

Neal

http://neophytte.mine.nu/forum/forum.pl?fid=05&topic_id=1161247233

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I see my Reaper in those weird cars.:thumbsup: Has anyone see this car anywhere else?

their are quit a few of my others that would work there too.:freak:

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Dunk2011 said:
the first one doesnt work think about the way the gears spin
You're right, you could only hook up every other axle. Or just use short tires (that don't touch the track) on the wheels running the direction you don't want to go and maybe get that spinner look? HA!

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
wow, I'm flattered.. some guy named Richard posted three of my cars on that site.
My hot rod, my Munster's coach and my VW pick up

Cool

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
micyou03 said:
All you have to do is make sure the crown gear is on the opposite side of the pinion of the axle next to it.
(Sound of hand slapping head)

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
hmmm one of mine is on there too...

I wonder what is so weird about my JL Camaro on a Jeff McCleese aluminum trailer being pulled by a station wagon resin cast by Claus Heupel? :confused: ..... I don't know about you guys, but I'm not entirely sure I like this dubious distinction ! ! :(

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Good call Dunk, Nice save Mike

SplitPoster said:
(Sound of hand slapping head)
Jeff, The next sound you here will be me slicing the rear deck to flip the crown gear like Mike says. I cant really get it up for the decapod setup. Me thinks there's too much drag and monkey motion to be practical. However, the possibilities for a sensible, functional twin screw truck application has got me twitchin' :p I've got an old aurora stake bed body and scrap chassis' O'plenty. What does one use to bond chassis plastic reliably? I'm gonna start whittling tonite! Bill

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Yes Bill, if one side of the gear turns forward, so what does the other side do?

I would suspect the same thing about the drag. Of course you could put a chassis, or an arm and magnets on either end.....

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I gotta try this Jeff!

Changing the crown gear to the right side will correct the rotation of the second axle. You'd have to alternate the crown left, right, left, right etc. to use the directly coupled driven gears like the decapod shown in the pic. 1:1 trans axles use this engineering depending on which way the transaxle is positioned. Either facing forward like a Beetle or 911 or rearward like a 914 or Pantera, the ring gear is moved to the correct side for forward rotation. I suspect that such is the case if we could see the underside of the ten wheeled beast! I'm convinced that a decent performing conventional twin screw setup for our model trucks is within our reach. :thumbsup: If I remember correctly didn't Aurora have a live rear dual axle specialty chassis in the works at one time? I thought I saw it in the "Beeres Bible". As I said before, once I figure out, or someone coughs up how to bond the chassis material together the rest is simple cut and paste other than keeping the pinion shafts plumb and the axles parallel. Whats the worst that happen? All I could do is farge it up or make it work. :p

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Home today with all the snow here in Chicago. :wave:

Ya those guys on the Perth HO BBS are cool. I caught a link to that place on a thread about LED car lighting on one of the other boards. They post up a lot of neat ideas. I signed up there recently after seeing some of my "Weird HO" vehicles show up there but haven't said hello yet. :)

Here are shots of an old extended chassis I made for a Flatbed truck. It was pretty easy to build; It's a Tyco pan chassis with Evergreen Styrene pieces for the front extension and the back piece for the double axle was heated and bent. Both extensions have slotted axle holes so the chassis still sits right. I am now using this chassis for a camera vehicle. The battery sits on the SG+ magnets glued to the back of the chassis and the camera sits where the cab is just nehind the front axle. I need to boost the traction magnets so the whole thing will stay on the track on the high banks. :p

Larger Image

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Something lost in translation!

tjd241 said:
I wonder what is so weird about my JL Camaro on a Jeff McCleese aluminum trailer being pulled by a station wagon resin cast by Claus Heupel? :confused: ..... I don't know about you guys, but I'm not entirely sure I like this dubious distinction ! ! :(
TJ, I'm thinking that wierd means cool downunder! Perhaps Richard(neophyte), can give us some clarification on the nuances of Aussie phrases and idiom. Take Claus for example, he understands if you were to say, " Thats one "bad" ride!" that it's a compliment. He knows our idioms. Another German who didnt now the twist of a phrase would be hurt! This is a common problem when translating any language. Read any directions or marketing info on items produced in Asia, "and you'll gladly be honor joyed to in the plugging of wall power to be fruitful"! Your wonderful example of race day americana is wierd, phat, bad, cool, and rad. So directly translated, your set is strange, overwieght, ill behaved, cold, and irradiated. :p I thought that pretty blue color you used had a touch of plutonium in it!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
the oscar meyer weinermobile in that thread is tooooo coool.... :thumbsup:

--rick

·
Registered
204 Posts
weird = unusual

tjd241 said:
Hi TJD,

Sorry wasn't intended as an insult; 'weird' was at the start of the thread, with the first chassis, and then it just became a place I was dropping pictures of 'unusual' cars ... I'm envious because I've been looking around for a trailer like that to add to some of my resin casts (you can see some of them in another thread on this board, or a few on our Perth HO board). Your picture remains as an inspiration to me!! (as well as some of the other pictures there!)

I'll remove it if you're not comfortable with it there, if you like.

BTW folks, we *believe* that first chassis is a photoshop edit, rather than a real slice and dice - does anyone know any different??

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
204 Posts
mrwillysgasser said:
I see my Reaper in those weird cars.:thumbsup: Has anyone see this car anywhere else?

their are quit a few of my others that would work there too.:freak:
Please feel free to drop along and place a few more there - it's always good to see the imagination of others running wild :)

Richard

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
No worries...

Hey Neo... thanks for the clarification and nice comments. Now that you explain I understand what you mean exactly and am humbled you like the trailer. Not sure if Jeff McCleese is still making these, but his email is ... K9jammc.cs.com and there is a nice write up in HO World's archives (use their search feature to find "McCleese"). They come bare aluminum (a plus for the customizers in this forum) and he makes them with or without tire rack. Have a good one. :wave: ....tjd

BTW: Even if this long chassis is a photoshop creation... I am more than certain that if it can actually be made... one of the guys on this board will be the one to do it. I learned long ago that wherever there is a slot car project being thought about... chances are it's actually already been done here first. Our very own HT guys are the real deal bar none.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts