Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this 3-12 VDC, 2 amp, 6 way, power supply at Parts Express. I bought the item from Parts Express through Amazon to drastically reduce the shipping cost. It ran $23.49 with standard shipping. It looks like it would be perfect as a power supply for T-Jets and G-Jets. I'm using it as a breakin box and a future power supply for a com lathe, when I get one. Here's the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-3-12-VDC-6-Way/dp/B0002MQGI6

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
In my experience with Hudy lathes you will need a good 4-5 amps. The 2 amps just won't cut it for a lathe. Other than that, the other applications will work just fine. It's probably the same manufacturer and base unit as the brand labeled GJet power supply.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You need 20 volts for a T-Jet.

Another option would be put that money toward a $140, PS-10.
0-20 volt, 10 amp power supply from Alan Galinko. http://agg.fsmra.com/

Then you would have something you could power everything with,
and it's the power supply people end up with eventually so it's not a waste of money.

·
Registered
328 Posts
if you bought two of these and wired both of them to the track at the same time and turned one to 12 voltz and the other to 6 voltz would it work the same as just having one power supply at 18 voltz?

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you wire them in series it will produce 18 volts with those settings, but your amperage will be cut in half, so a no go there.

Good stable amperage (Power) does not come cheap, but is worth the investment as it cuts down on the wear of pickup shoes, motors last longer because they run cooler and it it just a better slotting experience.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
You would still have 2 amps, which I find to be plenty for most my slot cars. I guess you would need four supplies to do that.

Can you actually connect power supplies in series, like you would batteries?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts