Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this Grayhound Bus in a bunch I bought. It looks like someone already tried to paint it, then burn it or place it in extreme heat. The windows are melted and the wheels show sign of heat damage.I took it apart and it is a cool 3 part casting. My aim is not a 100% authentic restoration, but a restoration that will capture the spirit of Acadian Bus lines which have run in this area for many years.I realize it is not even the same bus, but the 3 part construction lends itself very well to the silver, blue, white scheme. I think Acadian Lines was bought out and called SMT now, but I have taken many trips on the old Acadian Lines.
I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
cool bus! i hate hate hate greyhound i took one twice once short distance once long distance and will never do it again! but thats a story for another thread!. be nice to look at when you repaint it. might look even cooler to polish up some of the raw ZAMAC on the bottom where the luggage compartments are. i bet the previous owner painted it and forgot to remove the plastic before trying to bake the paint on at too high of a temp LOL...be nice to put some of those sweet semi chrome wheels on there.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Cool project. I did a band style touring coach out of the same casting a few years ago. Fun project, and looking forward to yours as well.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Potential wheel donors.
I think the ones on the Fast Gassin are the closest to the originals. Hard to see in the pic, but the Fast Fortress wheels are white and could give it a cool vibe. I seen a lot of Matchbox wheels that I would rather and are closer to stock, but I think they would be too big. Surprisingly, for a bus, the wheel openings are on the small side. The wheels on the Saturday Evening Post VW van would be ideal, but I don't want to cut up 2 $5.00 cars for them.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i think i have some of those style of wheels just sitting here so you dont need to remove em from those castings...and you can easily remove the chrome from wheels with acetone. wrap a rag around finger put acetone on it and spin wheel once on the rag and check then repeat untill all chrome is gone and can use a fine point paint marker or brush some paint on. walmart has fine point paint markers for around 10$ for a set

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Potential wheel donors.
I think the ones on the Fast Gassin are the closest to the originals. Hard to see in the pic, but the Fast Fortress wheels are white and could give it a cool vibe. I seen a lot of Matchbox wheels that I would rather and are closer to stock, but I think they would be too big. Surprisingly, for a bus, the wheel openings are on the small side. The wheels on the Saturday Evening Post VW van would be ideal, but I don't want to cut up 2 $5.00 cars for them.
Go grab some Hot Ones with the wheels it originaly came with ... You have to sacrifice two Cars but well worth it to make it look close to the original HW era.

Cut up a Long Gone as those wheels will work great on the bus

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm looking for 1950's city busses in 1/64 scale, where every 1/16 inch=4 inches, every 15/16 inch=5 feet. Matchbox/Hotwheels busses aren't even close. Any suggestions? As long as they can be made to look realistic, I'm in. I found some really good free reference materials right on ebay. I've spent way too long looking for them. I'm almost ready to buy styrene and go at it from scratch, but I know It'll be a nightmare making the front..

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
1:64 scale = 3/16 inch is a foot..just beware some stuff you build from actual sizes wont work right...like for instance my 2 post lift for my diorama i made it to exact size of a real 1:1 lift and it would only be lifting the 1:64 car about 1foot if it was 1:1...best option for you is go with the other brands of 1:64 some of the other ones will have much better detail then a HW or MBX anyways. im seeing some in 1/50 scale but there all about 20$ and up on one of the sites. have you checked globaldiecastdirect for a '50s era bus? they might be your best bet. just keep looking. im guessing you will find something made by corgi or majorette.or maybe post a WTB add in the diecast forsale section?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm looking for 1950's city busses in 1/64 scale, where every 1/16 inch=4 inches, every 15/16 inch=5 feet. Matchbox/Hotwheels busses aren't even close. Any suggestions? As long as they can be made to look realistic, I'm in. I found some really good free reference materials right on ebay. I've spent way too long looking for them. I'm almost ready to buy styrene and go at it from scratch, but I know It'll be a nightmare making the front..
You will most likely have to build them from scratch. The only buses I can think of are the Matchbox? tour buses made in the late 1990s, but they were 1990s buses, so you would have to heavily modify them. eBay item #130729566907 is similar to these buses, but I thought they were NBA themed??

The problem you are running into, is that "1/64 scale" diecast really isn't made to a exact scale. What we call 1/64 scale is in fact made more to a length. Otherwise the buses would be 6" long, and the go-karts would be 1/4" long. (1/87 scale is a different matter, as they are made for train layouts where people want really accurately scaled models.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Consider using HO slotcar rims for this.. type VINTAGE 1970 AUTO WORLD SLOT CAR WHEEL INSERTS DECALS in the searchbar on ebay.. You get a sheet of rim/hubcap decals to customize all your stuff. If you're really into prototype, you can take a picture of the actual rim, scan it into your computer, shrink it, and print it out on inkjet decal paper, available at most office supply places. Stuff works great, almost like waterslide decals, but you have to position them quicker. There's a guy named George who makes really nice rims for slotcars, I think these are some of them here: http://www.ho-slotcars.com/index.html Look in the Tires/wheels catagory for the rims and raised letter tires. I thought I saved the website with all of George's rims, but can't seem to find it. Anyways, check these 2 options out. Aurora yellow truck rims might work for you too.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Long Gone would provide a nice wheel, but I think they are too big. Hard to tell, but the originals are TINY compared to most.
Go grab some Hot Ones with the wheels it originaly came with ... You have to sacrifice two Cars but well worth it to make it look close to the original HW era.

Cut up a Long Gone as those wheels will work great on the bus

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would all that slot car stuff work with most custom projects? I checked out the site and there is some interesting stuff there.
Consider using HO slotcar rims for this.. type VINTAGE 1970 AUTO WORLD SLOT CAR WHEEL INSERTS DECALS in the searchbar on ebay.. You get a sheet of rim/hubcap decals to customize all your stuff. If you're really into prototype, you can take a picture of the actual rim, scan it into your computer, shrink it, and print it out on inkjet decal paper, available at most office supply places. Stuff works great, almost like waterslide decals, but you have to position them quicker. There's a guy named George who makes really nice rims for slotcars, I think these are some of them here: http://www.ho-slotcars.com/index.html Look in the Tires/wheels catagory for the rims and raised letter tires. I thought I saved the website with all of George's rims, but can't seem to find it. Anyways, check these 2 options out. Aurora yellow truck rims might work for you too.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
IIRC, this Corgi GM Scenicruiser casting is quite close to 1/64.

pic courtesy of a big auction site

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dozens of authentic rims..

I found the website I was looking for... it's http://shop.vincent-wheels.de/index.php?currency=USD&cPath=23&language=en . He has foreign and domestic rims, along with some aftermarket and some originals in a lot of different sizes. I sent him an email looking for rims the same size as those originally on the XLerator Ford J. Aurora made these rims in 2 styles only available on the original version of the XLerator chassis, and I found a third style on an XLerator inline chassis on a Cougar, but they never used these rims on any other car or chassis. Point is, he had something extremely close for me. Anyone who'd like more realistic tires and rims on 1/64 scale cars & trucks should check this out.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stripped and ready for primer. Before that though, I think I will fill in the rear window and I also broke the right "A" post which was bent and cracked.
I am very slow at this stuff.:thumbsup::p

1 - 20 of 57 Posts