Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gravely ZT1844 wont stay running. Changed the fuel filter and fuel pump still stahls out after two minutes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Not likely the head gasket is causing it to stall out.

Have you checked for ignition spark right after it stalls?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply

I think its over heating. Runs for two minutes then stalls out. Open the oil filler cap and its smoking. Let it sit, starts fine runs 2 minutes and stalls.
HELP!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It would be unusual for an engine to overheat in only 2 minutes. Check the flywheel blower and make sure the air intake is open and that the cooling fins and air flow around the cylinders is open and not plugged full of grass and debris. Check the flywheel key and make sure it's not sheared.

Did you check for spark when the engine dies?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spark after engine dies. Nothing else is clogged with depris. How do I check the flywheel key? If it is not the flywheel key, what would the next likely problem be?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You will need to remove the flywheel retaining nut/bolt, if it's a Briggs engine you should be able to tell without removing the flywheel, all other engines, you pretty much have to take the flywheel off to tell.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You may want to try priming the engine after it stalls. If it will start off a prime, this tells us there is an issue with fuel delivery after the engine runs a short time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it appears that the problem was alot of debri under the mower deck. Its running good now. But, when cutting the grass on a low setting, oil is coming out of the cap.
I never mentioned that I have a mulching kit attached. Could that have anything to do with it? The oil level is right where it should be on the dip stick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Briggs INTEK 18.00 HP
Model 00DE
31H77 0110 E1 03061ZZA only as 126 hrs on it
Not sure about the year bought from a friend.
Somebody told me maybe the rings and piston?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Unless it's been run without an air filter or somehow ingested a lot of dirt, the piston and rings should be fine. I would suspect a leaking cylinder head gasket. You may need to perform a leak down test to make a determination on what the actual issue really is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
jsjpoppajohn

I am trying to get a Gravely ZT1844 to run and am having the same problem. Add fuel to carb and it cranks, but will not continue. Online says a fuel pump is not available.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I am trying to get a Gravely ZT1844 to run and am having the same problem. Add fuel to carb and it cranks, but will not continue. Online says a fuel pump is not available.
Post the engine model type and code numbers. I am sure there is some type of fuel pump available as a substitute if the original type is NLA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts