Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice work fluke. I like it :thumbsup: Puts everything there for the viewer to see and pick what they want to look at. Thumbs could be just a tad larger though and still wouldn't hurt anything. Just a suggestion, don't change em just cause I said to.
-PJ

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Question on the PBR. Viewing one in action on "Apocalypse Now" it looked like it was using jet propulsion (water jet). Is there a prop on the back of that thing? Pics please?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What....You think just because you ask.... I'm gonna jump to it and take a pic of the jet out lets on my 1/35 PBR??

I would but at the moment the batteries are charging and I have NO extra AA's lying around.

They are jets!
There are two positionable jet nozzles for steering.
Did you know that the PBR I and II were designed and built here in the Seattle/Tacoma area? The U.S. Navy gave a few ship builders a few months to come up with greatly needed basic design with certain abilities......well to cut a long story short....This dude....(I forgot his name ) had already been working a small, fast, highly maneuverable craft with a fiberglass hual....well he said how about in a week! and He got the deal!

In 1965 a river patrol force was formed to control the rivers of Vietnam designated "Game Warden" and was controlled by the U.S.Navy. They had no craft suitable for the work, and the press of time precluded the normal design processes. Approaches were made to the commercial market, and a craft was found that generally matched the requirements. In 1965 the firm of United boat builders of Bellingham, Washington, started the first of the MK1 PBRs with an order for 160 of these craft. The craft was a 9.5 metre fibre glass boat powered by two waterjets and were capable of 25 knots. In 1967 a further order for 80 boats was placed with modifications reflecting operational experience, these were designated MK11. When the craft were in service, with weapons and extra weight, plus water absorption into the hull they were well over 1000 kgs overweight, hence the bows down attitude at rest. The craft served throughout the Vietnam war, and many were retained by the Vietnamese forces after the departure of the American forces.

About 6 years ago when I was installling Satelites on folks houses....One day I'm looking for this home in Bellevue Wa, and HOLY COW! parked beside this dudes house, on a normal trailer, like it was nothing was a PBR MK II!! I could not believe it!
I wish I would have marked down the address and gone back to talk with the owner and such but I wuz very busy.....Rats! oh well.

Here is an interesting site = http://www.rivervet.com/pbrs.htm

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem Steve!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dudes! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts