Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure, if you really stretch the definition of modeling, this is almost on topic.

I carved a couple of pumpkins this year. I don't ever remember really doing this before. Sure, we had Jack O' Lanterns when I was a kid. Honestly, though, I'm guessing that my mother did the real carving...rather than let a 5 year old loose with a sharp knife :).

No screwing around with a knife this time (though, you'll notice that one Jack O' Lantern does have a minor knife-related issue). I used a Roto-Zip spiral saw. A High Speed Steel cutting bit turning at 30,000 RPM seems to make the job go faster. Just one picture:

http://groups.msn.com/Margaret6547/miscellaneous.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=46

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
That one pumpkin has had better dayz! Thats cool! my kid loves it!

Great work! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Great work Brent,
When I first saw this post I feared that you might have tried to put a pumkin in your lathe and spin it :)

Now you need to make some castings and mold them in vinyl for everyone. :)

Sorry I don't have any pics, didn't do a pumkin this year. I did 3 last year. This is a great topic for modeling, hope more people post pics of thier pumpkins.
Happy Halloween everyone!
-PJ

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're a madman Eagle-1! I'll start working a bit harder on next year's design :).

Actually, I was really tempted to do a fake "step-by-step" web page which showed the pumpkins on my granite flat plate being measured with my dial guages and laser. But I wasn't to sure how long carved pumpkins would "keep" so I didn't start carving until last night which left me a bit short of time.

Anyway, the kids have stopped coming but I have both pumpkins out on the step with candles still burning inside (but I removed the knife so that some little darling doesn't run off with it).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep at it!

I've, seriously, been doing this every year for 10-12 years or more. All those patterns are from the small booklets sold at Walmart or at the Pumpkin Masters website (they've offered a few freebies over the years not in the booklets) or a couple random ones from other websites and such.

Doing four every time, keeping them nice for more than a day was initially a problem for me too. Not to mention spending ALL HALLOWEEN DAY carving four at once. I came up with a solution, by accident really, for keeping them MUCH longer. I can actually start a couple days ahead of time now. I do four everytime, by the way, because everyone in my family picks a design. I know you wondered about the four thing......LOL!

Fill up a couple tubs (foot tubs/#3 wash tubs, etc; ) with water and completely submerge your carved pumpkin till your readyn to display them and then immediatley after you blow out the candle each night. I have had them last over a week this way. If you don't completely submerge them in water, it'll be caved in tomorrow. The tips for preserving your pumpkin suggested in the booklet, doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The face on that one with the knife it it looks very "South Park". :lol: :D

OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED KENNY!!!

YOU BASTARDS!!!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eagle-1 said:
If you don't completely submerge them in water, it'll be caved in tomorrow.
Although, there's another factor that may play a part. I see you're in Louisiana. Here in Winnipeg, the daytime temperature at this time of year is about 40F and the overnight temp is about 30F.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, I suppose that would cause a slight problem.....of course.....frozen, it should keep up to a year!

Just pullin' yer leg......lol.

You could put it in your bathtub if you really need to?

Rob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts