Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My wife got me a 'battery tender' 2 bank battery charger for Christmas. Never will I have a tired battery in my old friends. Got the coupe out for a few miles today. Hasn't been out in a few months. Put on about 30 miles between rainstorms today.

Tom

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Two words ...... " TIMELESS BEAUTY " :thumbsup: Those two shots help demonstrate why Ford sold 1,000,000 Mustangs in only two years time ! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Scott

·
Banned
200 Posts

Hands down, that is the single sweetest looking Mustang hardtop I have ever seen in the last 40 plus years, either in photos or in person. That car is dead-bang gorgeous, wouldn't change a thing! Love the color, the contrasting vinyl roof (I normally hate vinyl roofs) and especially the stance. Beautiful!

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Very nice!

Old Betsy looks great! Dosen't look so old. :)

The past couple months I've gotten very fond of gold/black combos on real rides.My lastest aqusition is gold/black.

Are your wheels made by Wheel Vintiques?

:)

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Sweeeet, so nice to see you have the oppertunity to enjoy a drive. So hard to do in these months. As always, she's a real looker!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What year is it, '66?
289?
Automatic?
She's as straight as an arrow!
Yep, 1966 with a 289 and C-4 auto. Color is called Antique Bronze. I learned to drive in this car when it was my Dad's. It was my daily driver for about 14 years and put over 80,000 miles on it over that time.

My wife made me buy a new car in 2002 so this was put in the garage to be used on weekends, etc. She did not want me driving the kids around in cars without airbags.

These old cars just keep going forever it seems if you do a few maintenance items.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
First car I ever drove was my parents '66 Mustang covertible. Blue on blue w/ white conv. top and the measly 6 banger engine and automatic transmission. The car is gone but I still have the owners manual. :)

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
These old cars just keep going forever it seems if you do a few maintenance items.
Yup, 'cause there ain't no parts to go wrong in the first place!
There are more parts and wiring etc in the DOOR of a modern car than is in that whole entire Mustang. It's like working on a lawn mower!
Yer so lucky to have a car that's been in the family so long. Did you a complete restoration?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
First car I ever drove was my parents '66 Mustang covertible. Blue on blue w/ white conv. top and the measly 6 banger engine and automatic transmission.
Exact same story here, except mine was a '66 notchback in yellow. That six mated to the auto was a real dog. Funny I didn't turn out to be big Mustang fan because our other car was a '68 Town & Country wagon with a 440 and dual exhausts. That's the one I always wanted to drive and why I grew into a huge wagon nut ;)

However, Tom I gotta agree with everyone else that that is one beautiful car.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
That's wicked cool you preferred the big C body 440 monster wagon over the pony car that everyone else would have picked...you're my kinda guy!

No offence to Pony car fans...ALL old cars or BITCHEN!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yer so lucky to have a car that's been in the family so long. Did you a complete restoration?
My Dad bought it in around 1968 as his drive to work car from the local Ford dealer. I have a cool pic of him in front of it in the early 70's with some killer sideburns. :freak:

My sister took it to college and had it for about 7 years then I bought it in 1988 when I graduated grad school and drove the tires off it rain, snow or shine until 2002 when I bought a modern car.

It is not restored. I call it maintained. I like it to look good and run well. I don't care though if it has red dollar a foot heater hoses or Ford date coded stuff. I had the front seats redone and gave it a decent respray in about 1990. Starting to have a little surface rust spots behind the rear wheel wells. Will probably take care of that in a few years. It is a good 'Ten Footer'. It looks great at the gas station but is an obvious driver when I park it next to the trailer queens at the big Mustang Show. But they don't have a cool JL in the windshield.

I have to thank Jeff Kock for getting JL to do my humble brown plain jane coupe!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
My Dad bought it in around 1968 as his drive to work car from the local Ford dealer. I have a cool pic of him in front of it in the early 70's with some killer sideburns. :freak:

My sister took it to college and had it for about 7 years then I bought it in 1988 when I graduated grad school and drove the tires off it rain, snow or shine until 2002 when I bought a modern car.

It is not restored. I call it maintained. I like it to look good and run well. I don't care though if it has red dollar a foot heater hoses or Ford date coded stuff. I had the front seats redone and gave it a decent respray in about 1990. Starting to have a little surface rust spots behind the rear wheel wells.
Stories like this make me sad that I live in the midwest. It does not matter how much you pamper it, a daily driver will not last if driven in the winter in the Midwest. It's just not possible. These Mustangs (and any other car of the same era) were rusty hogs within 10 years (rust holes often started within 3 or 4 winters).
Nice car, by the way!...and great color. I bet you didn't always hear the "nice color" comment. How many times did your high school buddies ask you when you were going to "paint it red!" It seems that vintage "earth tones" are finally getting respect.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts