Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my Moebius "Eye Gone Wild" kit and there are 3 others mentioned on the box that are coming too!

Stoned Hoods, Monster Shifter, and PalmAid....they all look similar to the style of a lot like Fink kits I've seen but unique as their own!

These are very cool looking hot rod kits!

MMM

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Awesome. I've got two coming, good to see we may see some more down the pipe! I love Franco's work, but I'd sure like to see Florida Homegrown Kulture artist Sonny DePalma get a crack at designing some stuff for them as well. (expecially since Moebius is right at my back door here in sunny florida!)

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Thanks 3M for this announcement. I've been waiting for this kit since summer. :thumbsup:

Where'd you pick it up, Cult? LHS?

~RK~

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Awesome. I've got two coming, good to see we may see some more down the pipe! I love Franco's work, but I'd sure like to see Florida Homegrown Kulture artist Sonny DePalma get a crack at designing some stuff for them as well. (expecially since Moebius is right at my back door here in sunny florida!)
I love what Sonny did with the Big Frankie, I may have to send him a note at some point...

·
Banned
914 Posts
The only reason I didn't get the eye gone wild kit, was that the car wasn't tooned up to match the rat fink type of look.

I LOVE Odd Rodds, and fink stuff, but as someone else mentioned in a ratfink thread here, Moebuis is missing the boat on these with the standard traditional cars. I wasn;t sure why I wasn't digging the kit, until he mentioned the cars, and that hit the nail on the head.

(This also from an old Zingers and Deal fan.)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Eye Gone Wild is straight out of Von Franco's art work...
The car is as the artist drew it...reviewed by and approved by him.
Obviously some of you know better how to do these things than Von Franco does
I'll be sure to pass your suggestions and criticism on to him!

Dave

·
Registered
397 Posts
Eye Gone Wild is straight out of Von Franco's art work...
The car is as the artist drew it...reviewed by and approved by him.
Obviously some of you know better how to do these things than Von Franco does
I'll be sure to pass your suggestions and criticism on to him!

Dave
Art is subjective. People like different styles. People pay for art they like based upon their subjective taste (models too). People also SHOULD be able to comment on what they think about style.. without others taking them to task for it by being snarky.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It looks too "Toy-Like", not "Art-Like", lacking the "Action and Life" the original artwork so perfectly translates, even in still form. Go back and look at the old "Weird-ohs", Monogram "Mouse" kits and early Revell Roth Monsters and you'll get an idea of what I mean. "Action and Life". I was excited to hear about this, and disapointed in seeing the finished product. A prime example of what's "wrong" would be the "rips" in the roof. Far to "squared and stiff" looking compaired with the original artwork. Again, "Toy-Like", but not in a good way, pretty much sums it up. Maybe after a few get built, painted nicely and tweaked proper... We'll see. Flame on!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Each to their own, but personally I like the concept and the kit. I think it's one of those "love or hate" kits. It would have been nice to see it with more detail and more exaggerated look but I think it has a nice '60s atmosphere. I never thought much of the weirdos kits but they were popular enough in their day. The Revell RF kits are of course the standard to strive for but I think the Eye Gone wild has a lot of potential. That Stoned Hoods and Crooks kit looks like it'll be a killer if it's done EXACTLY as the painting!! Hell, they all look cool to me!!
Tim Nolans suggestion of getting Sonny to do some concepts sounds great too!
Dave, with all due respect, I agree with geoffdude- cut the guys some slack!! Everyone's entitled to their opinions whether we like it or not. There are some guys here that rub me the wrong way too but I still show them courtesy on the boards....

Chris.:)

·
Banned
914 Posts
I'm sorry you took offense to my feedback on why I didn't purchase the kit. I really like the other car images that were included with the kit someone else posted... but the original artwork is quite different then the actual kit.

Part of what I liked about the deal kits, and some of the odd rodd like variants, is the over the top take on the vehicles themselves. Flap Jack is an excellent example, as were the zingers, and the recently re released messerschnizle.

I want to see Moebius do more things like those, and the eye is a step in that direction, just not far enough for my tastes. And I'd hate to see the line fail, because others share the same opinion.

Let me point out the "Fink" thread here at Hobbytalk, with some amazing Ratfink builds.. and a few other's opinions about the Moebius Eye kit.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=227023&page=25

That's the Eye original artwork I'm seeing online. I see a car with HUGE back tires, surrounded in smoke, popping a wheelie, with a lot of "movement".

And I don't see that in the actual car part of the kit. Hopefully I'm making my opinion clearer, rather then digging myself into a hole?

Other then casting parts solid I'd prefer clear for budget kit build lighting, I've LOVED every single moebius kit I've purchased so far.

I'd just rather see some more "dynamics" in this new car series. Instead of the car resting on the ground, I'd want a clear stand holding it up in a "popping wheelie" pose, with clear reddish orange fire coming from the exhaust pipes, or smoke coming from the tires.

This is more of what I was hoping to see... granted I don't know the limitations of styrene kit abilities, and what might be possible, or un doable.
From this:

To This:

There are a lot of examples of what I'm hopefully getting at.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
gareee,

At first I thought you might have been complaining about something missing from the car and start getting all accurate and stuff but after seeing your photoshop example...I see your point. More like a charicature(sp?) cartoon looking car in the second pic with motion and ZOOM!
This should be the kind of input I think Moebius would want to hear about...too bad we aren't in on it before they actually get made but maybe this will be considered on the new ones...

I have to admit, the second pic looks a lot more like the cartoon pic of the artwork.

I still like the one they did give us...think of the possibilities now with what you've shown us.

MMM

·
Banned
914 Posts

They got most of the details in..but didn't quite hit that characature type style on the model like the old dave deal stuff, or the old zingers did.

Heres a pics of the old zingers and some deal wheels for reference. I wish they'd reissue all of those.

These all have a similar style to the old ratfink anbd odd rodds stuff.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have to admit I thought a lot along the lines of Gareee when I first
saw kit photo's. Looked nothing like the artwork.

Ya gotta admit that photo-shopped pix is really, really good! :)

Buc

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Funny thing is, I don't see any pictures of the Roth kits this is being compared to. Looks like Zingers and Deals Wheels have been posted to show where we went wrong. Someone tell me where Dragnut is any different in design than what we did? I have the box art, I have the kit I built years ago. Hmm, body seems like a toy, even rolls on round wheels like a toy.... Von Franco wanted something just like what Roth/Revell used to do, and to me it seems an awful lot like Roth to me when you look at Dragnut.

Attachments

·
Banned
914 Posts
I'm not saying you guys went wrong. I'm saying I prefer things that look more like what I posted.

If you are taking offense to my comments, then just delete them. I like mobius as a company, and love a lot of your products, and don't want to piss in your corn flakes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have a look at the "Robin Hood Fink"...
Maybe a better example of art meeting life would be the Tom Daniel "Snap Draggin's" cartooned creations.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
To me the Zingers don't look much different - Just bigger wheels and engines?

I may have to get two of these - One to build stock and one to try to match that great photoshop image :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm not saying you guys went wrong. I'm saying I prefer things that look more like what I posted.

If you are taking offense to my comments, then just delete them. I like mobius as a company, and love a lot of your products, and don't want to piss in your corn flakes.
Not my style to delete someone's posts. Never said I took offense, it's just I read it's not "ratfink" like, with pictures of Zingers and Deal's Wheels posted, and I showed what we based the design on. If the Eye isn't "ratfink" like, then neither is the Dragnut, which a lot of the design was based on. As simple a design as we could make it, that made VF happy. No worries about my cornflakes, as I'm a Captain Crunch guy....

1 - 20 of 72 Posts