Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like this casting, but it looked too plain to me with the grille, bumpers, lights, trim, etc all painted body color... So I fixed it. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it's a huge improvement over the way I got it. Not bad for about 45 minutes work.

Before:

After:

I'll be going over it some more later on to fix the grille trim and get better coverage wth the silver on the bumpers,window reveals, and drip rails.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
much better. i dont understand why some cars have a ton of detail and others have none!...btw those mc5 wheels on the casting if you paint all but the oval holes they have a ralley wheel look to them and really changes how that wheel looks.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... btw those mc5 wheels on the casting if you paint all but the oval holes they have a ralley wheel look to them and really changes how that wheel looks.
I was thinking about doing just that when I take it back to the work table to fine-tune it. I was thinking a medium gray metallic, sort of a gunmetal gray.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
a darker metallic would go good with the orange...i think those tampos only belong on a white car so i would remove em..

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'm thinking of picking up an extra of the 2013 version so's I can see what I can do with some acetone, paint-brushes, and Testors enamel.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
@alter-autos ouch! acetone to remove tampos is not the best option imo. ive noticed a huge variation between paint thickness of castings and their colors for instance pink cars have the thinnest paint imo. use some tarminator removes the tampo without harming the factory baked on paint. i made a video showing my method here:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Acetone is pretty aggressive - used to use it when I worked in a die shop for cleaning off (light) rust and dirt from metal. I wouldn't use it on diecast unless you want to remove all the paint. There are better products out there for tampo removal which have been mentioned in this thread by others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts