Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buying a used Turbo 35 and I need a decent power supply for it. Ive seen a couple nice ones from Competition Electronics and LRP. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
302 Posts
They are going to probably tell you...

In no order....

intgy
bulldog
CE
Rivergate
Novak

Alot of them are going to say they use radio shack and all. I have used one and there good. I just would not put a expensive charger on a cheap inverter. IMO ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I wouldnt use a cheap one. The CE and the LRP look nice, and they are the same price ($120) but Im not sure yet.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have been using a radio shack 25 amp power supply. I run two turbo 35's and also a novak millinium pro at the same time and I have not had a problem yet. Appr. two years now.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Me to, I have been using a radio shack 25 amp running 4 chargers. 1 gfx, 1turbo30, 2 pitbulls charging at 6 amps each and never had a problem yet. The battery numbers have always stayed consitant during cycling. Not saying bad things about the rest of them, but they cost more.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Any 15 amp power supply will work just fine... You only need a higher amp supply if your going to be breaking in motors.. If your going to charge at 6 amps, a 6 am power supply will work perfect.. But when you break in motors, it is good to have a 15 amp or so because motors pull up to 15 amps... I used a 12 amp aupply on mine for many many years.. Guys here are using your every day run of the mill switching power supplies.. the radio shack 15 amp is killer.. nice and small and works great...

The other thing to keep in mind is if your going to get or use a second charger.. two chargers charging at 6 amps, needs at least a 12 amp supply.. thats why a 15 should work good..

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Samplex,makes the CE,radio shack,and i think a few others,same power supply just with different logo's.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replys. I wish I still had my old 30 amp Rivergate (along with all my old RC stuff), but I think I may go with the 25 amp Radio Shack one. Seems by what a few of you said that it is a good one, and its under a $100.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
SuperNaut said:
If going with the Turbo35, I wouldnt buy a power supply with anything less than 35amps. This is of course, if you plan to use this as your primary discharger AND you plan to discharge your packs at 30-35amps.

I personally use a 55amp Rivergate Bulldog which allows me to run my GFX35 at full capacity (if needed) as well as power another charger to charge, motor work, lathe, etc. I think it was only $175 new.

Just MHO. :)
the discharge mode has absolutley nothing to do with your power source. A 30 amp battery tray does not need a power source..

power supply size has to do with the charging and motor run features only...when you discharge, the charger is pulling power from the battery.. when you charge or run a motor, they are pulling power from the charger..

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I've been using a 9 amp Novak Black Box. It works great, and doesn't take up much space in your box.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just bought a used Rivergate Bulldog 30 amp off the boards here. Thanks for all the info guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts