Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to oval (well, not new, but my first oval car was the fiberglass 10L and my last was the 10LSS) and I'm wondering which car/type of car works well on a flat carpet oval. My local track is considering running oval and I'm itching to go fast and turn left again. Parts support is not an issue because there's no support for any oval cars yet and setup help isn't a factor because we're all touring car racers and nobody owns an oval car yet. Basically, I'm starting from scratch with, like I said, I flat (read COMPLETELY FLAT) carpet oval. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
im sure your local hobbyshop can get associated parts, so id say go with a l4. not the best, but with any other car, your gonna have some real bad downtime if ya break !!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
All of todays cars can be fast in the right hands. Choose the car that alot of folks are running where you plan to race. Most people are willing to give some set up advise to get you close to start. Helps to have parts available also.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Best car for flat carpet is the most loaded question out there ...Because everyone has a preference...Basically to whom ever they run for ...Your best bet is to read these forums in the product support area and pick one ...Hyperdrive ..KSG ....Customworks...RIP..Leading Edge...Raptor...Maverick..
Associated.. Darkside...And many more...If you need any setup help ..Please feel free to email me ... [email protected] I would be glad to help...

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Humpty is right just make sure your local shop has the parts you need for whatever car you purchase. Its not cool if you buy brand A and all they have is Brand B parts.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just remember that a complicated car with alot of adjustment such as my KSG Gen 2 can be a benifit in the hands of an experiance racer and a nightmare in the hands of a new racer.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Humpty is correct. Also look at the local racers and see what they are using. Being able to get parts at your local hobbyshop/track is always a benefit. Any car mentioned above has the ability to win on any given day. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I would reccomend buying the regular old Assoiciated L4. Sounds like your probably familiar with AE products, and it is likely easy for your hobby shop to get parts for it. This car will get you used to moving the batteries back and forth along with the many other adjustments. The L4 car is basically the standard for pan cars. Just build it right to the instructions.

When you're ready for an upgrade you could go with one of the Leading Edge chassis conversions.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Custom Works! I have tried all of the rest except a leading edge and the Custom Works car is the best I have run for my driving style! Good support, great fit and finish, good availability of parts, proven race record ,say no more.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
any car would be good as long as you can find some help to set it up
if you are new to pan cars you might like a few less tuning options to start with

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, guys, thanks for all of your help. Like I said before, we don't have parts support for any of these cars and nobody here even runs oval yet so I'd be starting from scratch with years of touring car experience and a big box of spares from the internet :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would agree with Humpty ...I went from a car that had all the set up stuff in the world ...awsome car but I couldn't figure it out... I went to a Silva concepts and have been close since...Check with the locals around you and see what they are running
Racin JJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts