Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody,

I'm sorry to report that Lawson Deming, our beloved Sir Graves Ghastly, passed away last Tuesday. He lost his battle with pneumonia one day after his 94th birthday. You can get the particulars at the Sir Graves Ghastly web site: http://www.sirgravesghastly.com/index.htm

Happy Haunting, Sir Graves!

Mark McG.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I never heard of him, but looking at his site, I can say that he seems to be quite the Kool Ghoul!

I just find it amazing that so many TV stations of the 60's - 80's had some kind of horror host or horror related show.

For hosts, there was Zachery, Sir Graves Ghastly, Elvira, Vamperella, and a few more.

For TV Shows, there was The Munsters, The Addams Family and in Canada, The Hillarious House of Frightenstein.

Can anyone name any others?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'm sure people who knew him or were familiar with him will miss him dearly. But, on the bright side, he has lived a very long 94 years. Much longer than alot of people do. Also, don't forget that he's probably up there in heaven with god and alot of other good company now.

Regards,
Roland

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I grew up with Sir Graves on channel 2 out of Detroit. Another piece of my childhood is gone, thank God I still have the memories. My thoughts go out to his family, I hope they realize how much he impacted some of us.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MadCap Romanian said:
...I just find it amazing that so many TV stations of the 60's - 80's had some kind of horror host or horror related show...
What I find amazing is, instead of coming up with something similar to Sir Graves, who is so sorely needed today, local and cable channels save money by showing reruns ad nausem of shows like Law and Order or C.S.I. You-Name-It. Sure, I can run my DVD of Bride of Frankenstein on a Saturday night, but I would pitch it in a heartbeat if that would get a good horror host on to run the movie on TV, commercials and all.
Just Plain Al said:
My thoughts go out to his family, I hope they realize how much he impacted some of us.
Well said, Al.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
being a lifelong detroiter, this is very very sad news.
for those of you not from the area, his show transcended the usual audience for the saturday afternoon horror movie show. people of all ages watched his show faithfully. his weekly segment of reading birthday greetings included the names of fans from all generations (often with comments like "getting up there arent we?" or simply a long meaningful and hilarious deadpan look into the camera for folks over 40). if his show was pre-empted the previous week for a baseball game, he would apologize to his fans and then quip "you would think that a professional baseball team could complete a game in 2 hours."
even if new horror hosts appear (something i doubt will happen or woulkd click with an audience if it did), his kind will never come again.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
well as to tom ryan's count scary, he did that until sctv's joe flaherty sued him for lifting his "count floyd" act. (he should have stuck to being sgt sacto... kind of a ersatz spock hosting cartoons on weekday afternoons in the 60's)

let me recommend the book "from soupy to nuts" a comprehensive history of detroit television from the earliest days to the final broadcast of the last local talk show in '83.

the ghoul was a very different style of fun, great for being a 13 year old up too late on saturday night (another feature of his show was blowing up models). psychotropic substances certainly enhanced the show, and probably played a large hand in its production. the end came when a live frog accidentilly died on a broadcast.

none of them were in sir grave's league. he dearly loved his character and his audience, and they reciprocated. think of him kind of like captain kangaroo played as a vampire. his was a very gentle style. all of the movies were the universal classics and others of their era, so it was pretty tame fare. i can still hear in my head his introduction to each movie "so turn out the lights, pull down the shade, close the drapes, cuddle up to the telly and enjoy (insert movie title here)"

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
We have a relatively new horror host in Kansas now named Gunther Deadwood on our cable access channel. His show is called "The Basement Sublet of Horror". He is more of a cross between a film archivist, film editor, and horror host. I'm sure he doesn't do the hosting as well as Sir Graves Ghastly did. Most of the movies he plays are bad horror films that he edits and mixes with old documentary and commercial footage which often makes a bad film even worse...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts