Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm entirely new to collecting Johnny Lightnings. I don't know if my thinking is sane or otherwise, I'm collecting these for my 5 year old to have when he is much older. I have tried to collect H/W and M/B but the adults are insane. Any good or solid advice on how to get involved in collecting these would much be appreciated!!!! The price seems to upset the princess however, I will continue. I only have 5 at this time but will be buying more as time goes on. My son has already opened 2 of which I have repurchased so they are in the package. I will not stop him from playing with them after all thats what they are for. Thank you to everyone in advance....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you are collecting because you think they will ever be worth more than the $3 or $4 you buy them for new then STOP. Do not buy for future value. Buy them because you son really love them. Buy the ones YOU like. Not the ones that you think will be cool later.

Take a peek at ebay values for older models. Many are available for much less than retail. Most JL collectors keep them in the blister so do not expect perfect ones to be RARE at any point in the future. Just TOO MANY are being put in boxes in the closet.

Old redlines and MB are worth some dollars because they were TOYS and not saved. That is not true now.

Enjoy time with your son and collect together. Just don't expect to put him through college on diecast.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome to the Boards! That's first.

Second: I would suggest that if you are buying these toys as an investment that you change tactics right now and put the money into CD's or T-bills or some other investment portfolio.

If you are collecting for your kid so that he/she will have great childhood memories, Way to go!

Fist thing I suggest is find out if there is a particular style or brand your child likes (GM, Chrysler, Ford, VW) then stick to it. This will slow your impulse buying and how much/many cars you will have when you child becomes an adult.

Third thing is to have a area where he can play and display the cars he has. Buying duplicates will give you and him the chance to play and save particular models. (Oh! by the way, remember kids are people too, and they will change what they like on a fairly regular basis.) Display cases and curio cabinets or other ideas about displays will come in handy and will add additional costs to this particular hobby.

Fourth thing and this is optional, but I would strongly suggest you keep a data base or an inventory of the cars so that you are not buying 12 of the same car when you actually have the 2-4 that you were after.

The next thing to keep in mind is about series, Are you going to complete each series? or are you just going after the cars that you like?

These are my ideas after I have been collecting and neglected to do any of the above, so speaking from experience that I felt I should share; I strongly suggest makeing a plan about what to collect and how many trips to the store or ebay or on-line retailers to make early on so your collection reflects your personal style. As to brands (JL, MB, HW, Corgi, Maitso and all the others) Collect what you like and remember people are people and if you don't like the rude ones, goto the stores at night when fewer scalpers are there.

I hope this helps and I apologise for the lecture.

Richard

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome!

I find that the people who enjoy collecting little cars the most are usually people who like Real Cars. My son and I both collect diecast cars. He's gotten to the point where he has his own taste and will pick some of the wilder Hot Wheels from time to time. However, since I take him to car shows and hot rod nights, he sees and recognizes different types of muscle cars. If he doesn't recognize a car, he asks me about it, and we have fun researching it on the internet together. We also belong to a diecast club and go to the meetings to race and trade together.

Ditto to everything already said; Don't think of the collection as an investment, keep track of what you have, "play" together.

As for actually accumulating the cars, the first and best way is to find what you can locally so that you don't have to pay for shipping and handling. However, if you are looking for some older JLs, I have several places where I go online. These guys usually have good (or at least fair) prices on older cars, and I've been able to fill in several holes in my collection with them instead of resorting to eBay.
tinywheels.com
67diecast.com
1stopdiecast.com

Hope this helps. I'd be interested in your progress. Sometimes it's hard to complete for the attention of a young boy, what with Yu-Gi-Oh, TMNT, Transformers, GIJoe, etc. I feel lucky that my son will spare some time for me via the cars.

-Brad

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Welcome to the HTBB ditto on everything said so far enjoy the time spent with your son because we all know life is just to short :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Welcome to the board, :tongue: , and yes a lot of good advice from experienced collectors up above. Luckily, I started collecting Brand X, so a year later, when I looked at all the stuff I had picked up.........and my tastes had changed.........I was able to just give it to Toys for Tots and not be out a lot of money. JL's are a little more expensive, so take your time, and save your receipts for the first year! ;)

BTW - If you live in the Chicago area, say HI! to my mom and sisters, willya?

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
carnut2256 said:
We're all crazy loons here, run while you can still get away!!!!!! :tongue:
(That's the best advice):jest:

Welcome to the board, and I'm glad your son has the same interest in diecast as you do. All the above is correct. In hindsight, maybe I should have heeded some of that advice, and I wouldn't have so much crap I could live without now.:eek:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Welcome! Be sure to stop by periodically and let us know how your collecting evolves.

I think your son is on the right track to open and play with them - be sure you get down on the floor and do the same. I've been collecting little cars for 40 years, and my all-time favorite is one I got while on a trip with my dad. The car (Matchbox Iso Grifo) is neat, but the story and the memories it evokes are what really make it special. If you can find some toy or hobby or activity that binds you with your kid, go for it! Show him what you like, pay attention to what he likes, and treasure the moments.

Good luck.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts